Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-09-2005, 11:27 PM   #41
Loial

Docu: Yeah, I suddenly found out about the door... :-) This game really have me running around a lot... Over and over again... Got lost a lot in the city part... And had a LOT of trouble with the same hangar level as you... Also running around as a headless chicken... Starting taking screenshots of every screen, and made myself an extensive guide , trying to really investigate everything...

So thanks for the info too, Nightkin!

The only thing I wonder now... As soon as I enter the water, the spaceship lifts off, and the guys monitor me on their device, but I don't have time to get out, and the whole thing end with a "blast"... Is this it? A great ending, but is it possible to actually survive?

All in all I thought this was a fascinating game, but a little frustrating at times... Loved the atmosphere, but maybe the shooting against my own lookalike, and the turning into a winged devilish thing was a little over the top... :blink:
Loial is offline                         Send a private message to Loial
Old 11-09-2005, 09:59 AM   #42
Docu

I was also wondering is it possible anyway to escape from the planet, but didnt bother to try and dont thing it's possible. Time to start playing Bermuda Syndrome now, just download it took me 4-5 hours so hopefully it WORK'S!
Docu is offline                         Send a private message to Docu
Old 11-09-2005, 11:50 AM   #43
Nightkin
Abandonia nerd

@ Loial

Agreed! Fighting your mirror image was really lame.

I was a little bit disappointed by the end. I fought all my way through the game and this should be the end? And who are these guys in the spaceship? Why exactly was I taken away from earth?

At least you can say, that you've beaten all the puzzles

Nightkin is offline                         Send a private message to Nightkin
Old 12-09-2005, 07:31 AM   #44
Madguy

Well, here's my take on the game...

I've actually been developing an Out of This World style game of my own for nearly a year and a half, you can get info on that at http://madgames.adventuredevelopers.com/ (screenshots are too dark right now, game will be brighter on release).

So, from a developer's point of view, I have to say that this game needed some SERIOUS tweaking. It was certainly addictive in the sort of way that games of this genre should be, but for me personally, the journey has been chock-full of annoyances that probably could have been fixed without a ton of difficulty on the part of the developers.

The way in which the main character controls is sluggish in the same way Prince of Persia was, but when the gameplay is more action-oriented as it is here with the focus less on exploration, it just doesn't work as well. The character in my game used to have that same "sluggishness" until I realized that the people I had test it out were having trouble performing simple sorts of actions, causing them to die a multitude of times when it was more the fault of the controls than their personal skill-- which unfortunately tends to happen all too often here.

Furthermore, there were too many instances when it was absolutely impossible to avoid taking hits-- or, in some cases, such as the dripping stuff near the beginning which didn't seem to have any sort of clear pattern that would allow the player to avoid taking hits, your character's health status relied too much on luck, and a lot of saving and reloading.

As for combat.. well, not much to it really, seemed to consist mostly of shooting in place and tapping "alt" whenever my shield ran out. Did I miss something?

I didn't much care for the "wall puzzles" either, I thought they were too reliant on the player madly clicking buttons, and that they also brought the game to a screeching halt, but I dunno.. maybe some people enjoyed them more, this is more personal taste...

So what DID I like? Graphics and effects were quite cool, if oddly inconsistent, music was often pretty nice.. I did find myself wanting to play more and see what came next, up until this part in the city area where the game actually crashed when I went down an alley. This happened more than once. At that point I just kinda gave up.

So yeah, I'm being pretty critical here, but I have to be critical of my own work all the time on a project quite similar to this, and from that perspective, I just can't believe some of the gameplay/control stuff that didn't get fixed/improved. Oh well, I'm sure someone will give my work a good blasting when it's finished as well. :P
Madguy is offline                         Send a private message to Madguy
Old 12-09-2005, 11:42 AM   #45
Nightkin
Abandonia nerd

At my PC the game never crashed.

I also cannot agree with the ''dripping stuff'' the is a sequence you have to find out. I had no problem here.

The puzzles where you have you just have to push buttons where lame. But just because they where slowing down the game. I have to agree here. But they where easy to do. Just find out what very button does.
No ''madly clicking buttons'' here.

I also had no problems with the controls. They where as good as Prince of Persia, and the Prince controls where perfect for this type of game.
The only thing that made some problems was ''rolling'', because you first have to knee down and after this press the arrow for rolling. This slowed movement down.
Old 14-09-2005, 09:41 AM   #46
Loial

I didn't find the dripping stuff too hard either... It was quite similiar to the same stuff in Another World... (Out of this World i think it's called in the States...) Just a matter of not trying to take it all in one big leap, but taking one step at a time, when the two closest drips synchronize... They were indeed dripping in a certain sequence. However, I had more trouble with those stabbing tentacles, as they seemed more random, but again, I just waited long enough for them to stab at the same time, and then roll by.

As of the controls, I never had any trouble rolling, eg. while running... As I found out that [SPACE] acted as a "run forward" button... So I could just hold [SPACE] and tap [UP] when I wanted to jump, and [DOWN] when I want to roll. Sadly he won't raise to his feet after rolling without stopping, as I think he could in Flashback (can't remember for sure right now...)

But now I've tried to get Bermuda Syndrome running for several days, with no luck! I got my copy from HOTU, so now I'm trying the download from the polish site, to see if that works... Anyone got their HOTU-download working on a XP sp2?
Old 16-09-2005, 08:44 PM   #47
Nightkin
Abandonia nerd

The HOTU version didn't work with my Pc. But the ''polish'' one does fine
Old 22-09-2005, 01:13 PM   #48
Loial

I finally got it working by running through a virtual Windows 95 machine with VMware... Seemed it wouldn't work in XP... Does anyone know how to get more shots for the shotgun in BS?

EDIT: Oh, man I just found out... hehe... just crouching down while the shotgun is equipped...
Old 23-09-2005, 01:57 PM   #49
Nightkin
Abandonia nerd

I got BS working fine with XP :blink:
Old 25-09-2005, 10:51 AM   #50
Gelfo
Game freak

OnEscapee is quality. I got it when it came out for the Amiga, never completed it though I think. Glad to hear there's a conversion, I'll definetly check it out. thanks!