Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau > Abandonia Case Files
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
SorEddie

Default [Amayirot Akago] Super Solvers: Challenge of the Ancient Empires!

It was a DOS side-scrolling puzzle platformer (with educational elements if I recall) game in some kind of museum I think, and it definitely wasn't Museum Madness. The graphics were much more primitive, I remember it looking like Prince of Persia. There were different cultural "wings" of the museum that made up the different levels. It came on floppies (if there was a CD rom release, I didn't own it...) and I remember the cover of the game had a guy with a lantern hat on lowing himself from the ceiling ala Mission Impossible.

And the other, I had asked about before but sadly forgot about the topic and it got cold-cased without any results...
Quote:
It was a top-down RPG that I remember looking fairly similar to the art style and graphical level of Castle of the Winds - http://www.mobygames.com/images/shot...-leave-the.gif

I played it in the 90s, early 90s I'm fairly sure. It was probably a 3.1 game, but I can't be certain. It definitely wasn't DOS or 98.

I don't remember there being any music, and there was definitely no speech. It was top down , but action based - I think you just walked into people to attack them.

It mostly seemed to be set in modern day, and there was a big focus on the fact that it had a built-in editor that let you make your own levels. The included sample story said that you had been whisked away from your home in a tornado, and when you landed, your clothes had scattered, so your first goal was to get your "Grubby Pants And Shirt" put on. There was also a copyright-infringing element where Gumby from the Claymation shorts was a character, both in the canon story and who could be placed in created levels
If anyone can remember either one of these, it'd be greatly appreciated!
SorEddie is offline                         Send a private message to SorEddie
Old 26-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
Amayirot Akago
Hiya, dollface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorEddie View Post
It was a DOS side-scrolling puzzle platformer (with educational elements if I recall) game in some kind of museum I think, and it definitely wasn't Museum Madness. The graphics were much more primitive, I remember it looking like Prince of Persia. There were different cultural "wings" of the museum that made up the different levels. It came on floppies (if there was a CD rom release, I didn't own it...) and I remember the cover of the game had a guy with a lantern hat on lowing himself from the ceiling ala Mission Impossible.

And the other, I had asked about before but sadly forgot about the topic and it got cold-cased without any results...

If anyone can remember either one of these, it'd be greatly appreciated!
The first one sounds like a Super Solvers game, but doesn't really match any of them. Maybe Challenge Of The Ancient Empires?
Old 27-06-2013, 06:12 AM   #3
SorEddie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amayirot Akago View Post
The first one sounds like a Super Solvers game, but doesn't really match any of them. Maybe Challenge Of The Ancient Empires?
Yes, that's it! Thanks so much! And this site has it for download, too. Gotta get ready for some nostalgia...

Now if I can just figure out what the other one is, haha
SorEddie is offline                         Send a private message to SorEddie