Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-07-2006, 02:51 PM   #31
guesst
Abandonia Homie

@Blood-Piggy - It's a police box. And it's much bigger on the inside.

@#BlakhOle# - Where are you? In Britian it was last saturday they aired the must not miss episode. (I'm in America but I have connections.)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(#BlakhOle# @ Jul 11 2006, 10:40 AM) [snapback]242707[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Yes very good, but i think i should point out he can only regenerate 12 times i think it is, and hes getting on in years. Although, to be fair, it wont be too long until they make an episode where he finds out hes some sort of super-timelord or whatever and can in fact regenerate as many times as he wants. <_< Good ol' tv, always there to lend a hand when theres a buck to be made...
[/b]
Well, considering that in the current series he is the last of the timelords with Gallifrey destroyed in a war with the Daleks, it would be no problem to regenerate him past his 12 limit now. But I hope David Tennant sticks with it for a while. No more "Cure of the Fatal Death" regenerating 3 bodies in a minute.

[spoiler alert! Highlight to read.]
So glad that wasn't Davros in the Genesis Arc! A very satisfying episode.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 11-07-2006, 02:52 PM   #32
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

I saw the Doc like 20 years ago, and I just didn't get it. It was too weird. Now that's a strange statement from a guy who love The Prisoner (the tv series). But if they're still doing it, then it has to have something...
Old 12-07-2006, 07:48 AM   #33
#BlakhOle#
Game Wizzard

@guesst

Well im an aussie, and channel 2's just started showing the second series (starting with this one if its not part of series two) here, and i have to agree, i also hope david tennent stays a bit longer now, or at least a bit more than david eccleston. Its pretty funny how his new body in each series seems to get younger. A few more and he'll be played by a 12 year old :bleh: Now that i gotta see. LOL
#BlakhOle# is offline                         Send a private message to #BlakhOle#
Old 12-07-2006, 05:58 PM   #34
guesst
Abandonia Homie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(#BlakhOle# @ Jul 12 2006, 07:48 AM) [snapback]242895[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
@guesst

Well im an aussie, and channel 2's just started showing the second series (starting with this one if its not part of series two) here, and i have to agree, i also hope david tennent stays a bit longer now, or at least a bit more than Christopher eccleston. Its pretty funny how his new body in each series seems to get younger. A few more and he'll be played by a 12 year old :bleh: Now that i gotta see. LOL
[/b]
That's been mentioned before, and it's assumed that each regeneration will knock a few hundred years off his life. And I suppose if they got a good enough young person to play the part that would be really intersting. Billie Pipper, you know, was a pop star before she became an actor. Here in America I tell people that she's like Hillary Duff, only who knows how to act. Her acting in that last episode (the end of season 2) was incredible. If a young popstar gone actor can do a good job as a companion it's possible that a young actor could play the Doctor.

Then again, we could be looking at young Anakin Skywalker all over again.
Old 13-07-2006, 08:53 PM   #35
dark angel

I sooooo love Doctor Who...and I bawled my eyes out at the end of series 2 *SSHHH*

The only thing I don't really like bout the new dr who, is that the setting is ALWAYS on earth...LET'S ALL GO TO SKARA!!

but I am big Sci-Fi fan neways - and the doctors #1!

Fav Quote from empty child - *not exact*
"A sonic screwdriver?! what use is that, you need one of these babies"
"Ever got bored in the evening?! got a few cabinats to put up? you wouldn't use a sonic blaster for that would you?!"
dark angel is offline                         Send a private message to dark angel
Old 14-07-2006, 03:56 AM   #36
guesst
Abandonia Homie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dark angel @ Jul 13 2006, 08:53 PM) [snapback]243179[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Fav Quote from empty child - *not exact*
"A sonic screwdriver?! what use is that, you need one of these babies"
"Ever got bored in the evening?! got a few cabinats to put up? you wouldn't use a sonic blaster for that would you?!"
[/b]
So not exact. I don't believe it was closer to
"Who looks at a screwdriver and thinks 'this could be more sonic'?"
"You've never been bored at night? Never had spare time on your hands? Never had a lot of cabinets to put up?"
But no matter. It was a fansistic line either way.

My favorate line was in the very beginning of the next episode. After cleverly saving their collective butts with a clever but undisclosed line here he says, "I'm so glad that worked. Those would have been terrible last words."

It's funnier with the line before it, but if you haven't seen the episode I don't want to ruin the cliffhanger ending for you.
Old 14-07-2006, 06:41 AM   #37
#BlakhOle#
Game Wizzard

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(guesst @ Jul 13 2006, 03:58 AM) [snapback]242961[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(#BlakhOle# @ Jul 12 2006, 07:48 AM) [snapback]242895[/snapback]
Quote:
...or at least a bit more than Christopher eccleston.
[/b]
That's been mentioned before, and it's assumed that each regeneration will knock a few hundred years off his life. And I suppose if they got a good enough young person to play the part that would be really intersting. Billie Pipper, you know, was a pop star before she became an actor. Here in America I tell people that she's like Hillary Duff, only who knows how to act. Her acting in that last episode (the end of season 2) was incredible. If a young popstar gone actor can do a good job as a companion it's possible that a young actor could play the Doctor.

Then again, we could be looking at young Anakin Skywalker all over again.
[/b][/quote]
Hehe whoops :bleh: Got my doctors mixed up...
I think Billie Pipers acting in the first series so far has been pretty good, so if it does get better in the second one that'll be something I'd regret missing. I also never knew she was a popstar so ill have to look that up and check out a few of her songs. The only problem i have with rose as a character is the first series kinda makes out that she has a thing for the doctor, if you know what i mean. It's not so much as a flaw with her as a character I guess, but I don't think it's a great idea for the story if the doctors companion has that sort of relationship with the doctor. Does anyone agree?
#BlakhOle# is offline                         Send a private message to #BlakhOle#
Old 18-07-2006, 05:18 PM   #38
guesst
Abandonia Homie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(#BlakhOle# @ Jul 14 2006, 06:41 AM) [snapback]243241[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Hehe whoops :bleh: Got my doctors mixed up...
I think Billie Pipers acting in the first series so far has been pretty good, so if it does get better in the second one that'll be something I'd regret missing. I also never knew she was a popstar so ill have to look that up and check out a few of her songs. The only problem i have with rose as a character is the first series kinda makes out that she has a thing for the doctor, if you know what i mean. It's not so much as a flaw with her as a character I guess, but I don't think it's a great idea for the story if the doctors companion has that sort of relationship with the doctor. Does anyone agree?
[/b]
Billie's, back in 94 I think, was going to make a break for the US pop scene that never really caught on. You can find videos of hers on YouTube. Granted she's hot as a $6 pistol when in popstar mode her music was a step below what you'd normally hear here IMHO. And since I don't like pop music in general I'm glad she decided to hone her acting skills.

As far as the Doctor and his companions having a relationship, watch for "School Reunion," one of the early episodes in the next season. A few things are made clear in that episode, namely that the Doctor is not above having feelings for his companions, but that the curse of near immortality is that he can never let himself get too close.

For a little while I thought that Rose definately had romantic feelings towards the Doctor, but that the Doctor's feelings for her were more paternal. However you can only stay stoic in onslaughts of a 19 year old ex-popstar hottie so long and there in the end I think he was letting himself get too close. In the end, however, I think things resolved themselves very well, however. Extremely well.

[Spoiler on my thoughts follows. Hightlight to read.]
Their farewell scene was brilliant and ended EXACTLY the best way for Rose. She confessed her love to him. She opened up. He was going to, it's clear he wanted to, but was cut off so she will never know. In short, providence stepped in and broke her heart, and broke it good. She ran back to her Mother to be embraced the way a hologram from another dimension couldn't, tho she wanted to.

In breaking her heart it broke her ties to the Doctor. Finally she could see that she had her mother, father, and Mickey all there, people who loved her and was loyal to her. Loyal enough to travel halfway across Europe for a dream. People who she had hurt several times and who kept coming back. They diserved better and finally, with the Doctor's final confession to her cut off, she was free to see it.

I feel that's the only way Rose would ever be fine and able to move on. They were too close and unless it hurt they'd never be seperated enough. She needed to be pushed away. Sure it hurt the Doctor too, but he's 900 years old. He'll heal.

Boy, can I overanalyize a silly show.
Old 19-07-2006, 05:43 PM   #39
Ioncannon
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via MSN to Ioncannon

Sorry to say this, but I have never seen Dr. Who. I have heard good stories bout it though. Can anyone fill me in on the story?
Ioncannon is offline                         Send a private message to Ioncannon
Old 19-07-2006, 05:58 PM   #40
guesst
Abandonia Homie

There's a primer in the first post in this thread. Good place to start.