Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-04-2010, 12:55 AM   #1
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Default GeForce FX 5200

Hi folks.

I been trying to run UFO: Aftermath again on my computer, but didn't manage to make it run since the last time I updated my graphic card drivers.

Now, I know that the best thing to try would be to update my drivers with the most recent version... However, when I go to Nvidia site and download the latest version for my graphic card... It simply don't work. At all. XP actually reboot in a 8 (or 6 I don't remember) bit graphic mode in the lowest resolution setting... And I can't change a thing.

The new version I want to install is 175.16 and what I currently use (and which works great except for this game) is the version 6.14.11.6371 dated from 2007-09-17.

So I was wondering if any of you guys knows of a better way to update my drivers so it would actually work with all or most games.

Any help would be appreciated.

-EoF
Old 14-04-2010, 05:55 AM   #2
Kugerfang
_r.u.s.s. changed it :'(

Sorry to say, but this isn't 2003. Go get a better video card.

-Terry Pratchett
Kugerfang is offline                         Send a private message to Kugerfang
Old 14-04-2010, 06:47 AM   #3
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
Hi folks.

I been trying to run UFO: Aftermath again on my computer, but didn't manage to make it run since the last time I updated my graphic card drivers.

Now, I know that the best thing to try would be to update my drivers with the most recent version... However, when I go to Nvidia site and download the latest version for my graphic card... It simply don't work. At all. XP actually reboot in a 8 (or 6 I don't remember) bit graphic mode in the lowest resolution setting... And I can't change a thing.

The new version I want to install is 175.16 and what I currently use (and which works great except for this game) is the version 6.14.11.6371 dated from 2007-09-17.

So I was wondering if any of you guys knows of a better way to update my drivers so it would actually work with all or most games.

-EoF
Interesting my ATI 9600XT was supported until last year. Maybe you should check what the last driver is that supports your series and up(or down)grade to that and stick with it. I don't know nVidia cards that much, but if it's around the same series as mine, you should be able to run games up to 2006 or so and later if they don't require Shader 3.0.
Old 14-04-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post

-EoF
As much as I understand you used even an older driver before than that one from 2007. If I was you, I would be still using that original driver, or at best that from 2007 since support for a bit more "exotic" GForce FX cards like 5200 and 5700 (the latter I use) was dropped few years ago already as much as I know.
The new drivers wouldn't support that old card and actually will only worsen the troubles because compatibility for old games goes steadily backwards with each new version out. Besides, it's mostly bullshit that using the newest drivers is the best thing. That only is true for newest, up-to-date cards and games, and more like the opposite for old cards and old games. Unless, of course, you want also to play new(est) games with that card, but that's everything but recommendable.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 14-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
Sorry to say, but this isn't 2003. Go get a better video card.
I'm sorry to say, but this is not helpful. I bought this rig around 2003, I'm not going to waste my money purchasing a new card which will most likely not even help me play newer games on this old machine. Beside, the card + drivers combo I have right works way past fine for the vast majority of what I play with and want to play with, not to say that what I play with are old games which would probably not work well with new hardware.

As I said, not helpful.

Quote:
Interesting my ATI 9600XT was supported until last year. Maybe you should check what the last driver is that supports your series and up(or down)grade to that and stick with it. I don't know nVidia cards that much, but if it's around the same series as mine, you should be able to run games up to 2006 or so and later if they don't require Shader 3.0.
How can I check that? Everytime I go to the Nvidia site I use the dropdown menu to find the up to date drivers for my card and I do select the FX serie... Which lead me to the drivers which don't work. Would you have a better option?

Quote:
As much as I understand you used even an older driver before than that one from 2007. If I was you, I would be still using that original driver, or at best that from 2007 since support for a bit more "exotic" GForce FX cards like 5200 and 5700 (the latter I use) was dropped few years ago already as much as I know.
I was actually using original drivers until I had to update them to be able to play WoW a while ago. That must be around 2007, so it fits. At that time I used the most up to date drivers available at Nvidia website and it is those that I still use. I liked those new drivers a lot because it also automatically installed a Nvidia command menu which I didn't have before, which allow me to tweak a lot of different options for every individual games. I'm not sure it would be wise to downgrade from that.

Quote:
The new drivers wouldn't support that old card and actually will only worsen the troubles because compatibility for old games goes steadily backwards with each new version out. Besides, it's mostly bullshit that using the newest drivers is the best thing. That only is true for newest, up-to-date cards and games, and more like the opposite for old cards and old games. Unless, of course, you want also to play new(est) games with that card, but that's everything but recommendable.
Hummm... That is unfortunately what I was thinking too. So I should be better to simply stick with those drivers I already have and simply consider some games to be unplayable on this rig... A shame, really.

Not that UFO: Aftermath is really worth the trouble of trying to find a fix... It is one of the worst games I ever played, to be frank. But I did want to finish it one day. Too bad for it then.
Old 15-04-2010, 08:54 AM   #6
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

Might be not much of a help, but I found this googling around:

Quote:
Recently I had some windows 7 updates and I noticed one was for my graphics card so I included it. It said it was from nvidia as well. After installing the updates, I had to restart my pc. After doing so I was noticing flashing lines on my screen and then the pc would periodically freeze up. Only way to recover from it was to hold in the power button to shut it down. I originally thought it was an extra hard drive I had connected as there were previous issues with it but I removed it and it was doing the same thing. I decided to go the extra mile and format my pc thinking there was really something wrong. After getting the same update (I installed them one at a time from Windows update) for the graphics card, it started doing it again. I know it is the driver, I then uninstalled the driver (now using a crappy generic one that does not support the resolution I need which is 1600x900) and downloaded the latest from the nvidia site and same results.

Is there something going on with the latest driver that would cause this that is already a known issue? Since uninstalling the driver, I have had no issues what so ever. Only bad thing is that now the screen looks blown up in my face since I can not use the recommended resolution for my monitor. On a side note, I do not use my pc for gaming so I am not using up memory or resources for stuff like that. My pc is for web/app development, web browsing and email.

Any info or help would be greatly appreciated!

if its an agp 5200, anything past 175.xx will cause these issues.
Old 31-08-2011, 09:36 AM   #7
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Sorry to resurrect this thread but seeing as I am the topic starter and solved my problem...

Searching and finding "omega drivers", which are drivers kept up to date by a very dedicated fellow who go thru the trouble of testing every new driver updates, include things which work and exclude things which simply doesn't or even break the drivers.

This is the best thing I've stumbled on in a long while, so I thought it would be worthwhile to mention it even if the thread is now a little old.

And yes, with Omega Drivers I've been able to play with most old games which stopped working with time. This include UFO: Aftermath.