Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-05-2010, 10:03 AM   #151
kad3t
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via MSN to kad3t

If I absolutely had to choose best adventure games (in my opinion we're talking about point'n'click games here), I'd go for these as THE best:

1. Secret of the Monkey Island

I don't think I have to explain what lies beneath the choice of this one. Many people before me had done it and I use all of my limbs to sign underneath their opinions. ^__^ In short though: Humor, story, humor, characters, humor, setting, humor, interface, humor, riddles, humor, humor & most of all humor.

That's probably one of the very few games I never minded playing in EGA before I got a working VGA version, as even though being nicely drawn, graphics actually played second role in this AWESOME game.

2. Day of the Tentacle

Great improvement on already good game (Maniac Mansion).

If I hear that there's been a mad scientisc who created tentacles that after mutating went on a quest to take over the World, I'm sold. ^__^ Remeber those old, crappy B-class sci-fi movies of the 70's & 80's that everyone knew that they were rubbish but just couldn't stop watching anyway? This game is all that and more. Especially, since in difference to those movies it is NOT rubbish.

3. Monkey Island 2 LeChuck's Revenge

It's same as part one but with better graphics. Some people find it to be better than the predecessor but since I played part one more times than this it holds a special place in my memories.

4. I couldn't decide here which game to side with, so it's a tie. Maniac Mansion and Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis.

First, as it was one of the first games to offer typical LucasArts-style hilarious sense of humor and SCUMM interface. Actually MM and Zak McKracken were the first two games to ever use SCUMM AFAIR. Second, even though I never completed it, for being "the missing movie" from Indy series. I realize it's a game but having to take part in the story and spending time on all the riddles actualy made me feel back then as if I was taking part in a movie.

5. Full Throttle

It may be weird that I'm placing this game here. Even more that not only I haven't completed it but also I did not play it a lot either. But, I did spend a good hour on it and WILL play it to the very end as soon as I get more free time. When I saw the intro for it I felt right at home. LucasArts have done it again! And they've done it well (or that it seems at least after an hour of gameplay)!

Right, you might have noticed by now, that all the games on this list of mine come from LucasArts. Coincidence? I don't think so... I belive that for me LucasArts is synonimous to Point'n'Click adventure games. In fact when I think of LucasArts game I don't think of all those Star Wars based games, I can only see their adventure titles before my eyes. Anyway, there's few other games I'd like to give a shout out to & these are: Loom, Zak McKracken and the Alien Miindbenders, Grim Fandango & Sam & Max Hit the Road. They're all good games as well, but either not as good or I just never got around to play them as much as the earlier mentioned ones or even at all. I really wanted to give Grim Fandango a try but first I had no access to it to check it out and then later I found myself with not enough time - and the state sort of continues to this day, I'm affraid. Obviously one would think, that I could play it an hour here and and hour there until I completed it. That's wrong! Whoever played LucasArts games in the past knows that they're so involving that when you start playing, you just can't stop until you find yourself half-sitting half-sleeping in front of the screen. 5am in the morning with three cans after Redbull spread all over your desktop trying to figure out just how to go about that last riddle before you go to bed. ^__^ And the thing is... It's not the last riddle, it's the fifth or sixth or whichever further after the one you thought to be "the last one"... ^__^
Old 02-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #152
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Sorry, i do not like these type of games..
yoga is offline                         Send a private message to yoga
Old 03-05-2010, 12:00 AM   #153
Maxor127
Game Wizzard

Too narrowminded to include just LucasArts games. You have to include Sierra games along with some others.
Maxor127 is offline                         Send a private message to Maxor127
Old 08-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #154
ivorybow

Talking Best adventure game ever - Starflight!

[quote=janko;14812]I want to know what are your best adventure games of all the time.

Nothing can ever compete with Starflight! We got it in 1988, for our Tandy 386, 16 color, 32 mg hardrive, 8 megs of RAM wonder. Best most reliable computer we ever had...and I kick myself for getting rid of it. I still have Starflight, and all the notes I made playing it. It took several months and teamwork to finally win it.

A close second, "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream," written by Harlan Ellison. I also have this one.

Shivers...beautiful graphics, tough puzzles, and beautiful music.

And of course, the original Myst. Very very tough game to solve...exquisite music, gorgeous graphics.
ivorybow is offline                         Send a private message to ivorybow
Old 08-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #155
kad3t
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via MSN to kad3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxor127 View Post
Too narrowminded to include just LucasArts games. You have to include Sierra games along with some others.
It may be a bit narrowminded but since he asked for the best I gave him my honest personal opinion. Yes, I did play other adventure games as well and yes, I did enjoy them. But in my own judgement LucasArts games were the best hence the listing describing them as so. ^__^

Feel free to write a little bit about Sierra games yourself, I belive you may be more knowledgeable about these than myself. And let's hope we both are going to be of equal help to him. ^__^
Old 16-05-2010, 06:12 AM   #156
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Best adventure game, thats a hard one.

Lucas Arts made lots my favourite adventure games, however only one game lures me back over and over.

Quest for Glory 1 EGA: I played this game for so long, every day I would play for at least one or two hours trying to get just a little further. I only ever got the bad ending as a kid, but now I replay it over and over and never get bored of it. It also changed the way I viewed games, I stopped wanting to play just adventure games and got into RPG's as well.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 17-05-2010, 08:33 AM   #157
CaitSith
Abandonia nerd

Beneath a Steel Sky, and the CHZO Mythos
CaitSith is offline                         Send a private message to CaitSith
Old 24-05-2010, 01:12 PM   #158
humorguy
Super Freak

I like adventure games that are different. Hence my Top 3 would be:

Portal (C64)
Mind Forever Voyaging (Infocom)
Albion

I also believe that some classic non-adventure games provide the same feeling as a 2D point and click adventure. For example: X-Com Enemy Unknown has a very interesting story that is shown to you though items collected, it has 'characters' that you connect with, and has the puzzles of what to research and when for the best outcome of the story.
humorguy is offline                         Send a private message to humorguy
Old 24-08-2010, 05:41 AM   #159
Darkos
Forum hobbit

The John DeFoe quadrilogy (5 Days a Stranger, Trilby's Notes, 7 Days Skeptic and 6 Days a Sacrifice) the story is great and the games absolutely creepy.

I also like very much the Quest for Glory series, specially Shadows of Darkness.
Darkos is offline                         Send a private message to Darkos
Old 24-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #160
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

The biggest adventure about QFG: Shadows Of Darkness was trying to get the thing running without any fatal bugs popping up here and there