Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-10-2007, 03:49 AM   #81
tomf
Game freak

Send a message via AIM to tomf Send a message via MSN to tomf Send a message via Yahoo to tomf

I found out why it would not run for me, I was using Scitech's Display Doctor which loaded into memory on startup when I disabled it the game started although funnily enough I only had 608kb free conventional insted of the 610 it needed
There may come a day when the courage of men fails, When we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day, An hour of wolves and shattered shields, When the age of men comes crashing down, But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good earth I bid you stand! Men of the west!

Click my dragons please
Or just click here for all of them
tomf is offline                         Send a private message to tomf
Old 02-10-2007, 12:48 PM   #82
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Make sure the mouse drive loads using LH (aka LOADHIGH), same for the CD-ROM driver (if you're using it), and if that's still not enough try doing the same with the soundcard driver as well.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 15-07-2008, 01:16 PM   #83
nyhotep
Lurker

I've played this game all the way to the end (but always been eaten by the big bad).

Here's a few hints:

The blue bar that moves when you attack is a sort of stamina/ strength bar. If you keep clicking hit too quickly, it will run out. The lower the bar is, the weaker each blow is, so you must choose between clicking fast to get more hits in or waiting for the bar to fill up to make stronger hits.

Some of the bedrooms (especially on the basement level) have a sort of silver symbol on the wall (V shaped? I can't remember). These are rooms you can rest in.

Those glyph symbols on many walls? There is a spell that lets you open the glyph (to make a blue gateway). On the ethereal plane, you will come across many objects which are actually the other end of the gateways. Most of them are sealed, until you have used the spell on the glyph back in the house.

Casting spells is very difficult in this game, as there are few means to recharge your spell power. Don't waste it!

As stated above, the way to the mausoleum is through the stairs in the north east corner of the starting floor. If you are being attacked by the zombie with a shotgun wearing terminator shades, you are in the right place.

There is an exploit/ bug in this game which makes combat easy!
(mouse over the next bit if you want to read it)
When a monster comes towards you, turn sideways(rotate left or right). As the monster reaches you, most times it will get stuck at the edge of the screen (you will see arms or tentacles moving). In this position, you can still attack but they will not attack you! If you time it wrong (or sometimes it happens anyway), you will take hits. If this happens, move away from the monster and try again. Be warned, this makes the game too easy.
nyhotep is offline                         Send a private message to nyhotep
Old 18-12-2008, 09:22 PM   #84
Zainlong

Default A little help

Could someone explain to me how to save?
This is the one area im struggling in, thanks a lot.
Zainlong is offline                         Send a private message to Zainlong
Old 04-01-2009, 02:08 AM   #85
Default Need help

Downloaded game here - tried on DOS machine & pc running dosbox 0.72. Opening sequence plays normally - goes to stopwatch. After a couple seconds I get:

unable to open message file in initMessageStrings().
ouch! Something nasty happened!

I also downloaded the game from a site in France (which when unzipped had several directories missing from the file I downloaded here) but it fails with the same error. Any ideas??? Thanks

Old 04-01-2009, 11:57 AM   #86
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

With DOSBox, run the game's setup and configure it to use Sound Blaster 16, IRQ 7, DMA 1, Adress 220.

"Legacy..." is extremely sensitive to any differences in specified soundcard model. In other words, if it's different the game crashes.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 04-01-2009, 04:46 PM   #87
humorguy
Super Freak

To quote from review:

"First of all, The Legacy: Realms of Terror is a tough game..."

Did anyone notice it's from Microprose? Did Microprose release ANYTHING in the 90's that was an easy game?!

That's why they are my favourite publisher! Darklands, Sword of the Samurai, M1 Tank Platoon, F117 Stealth Fighter, etc., none easy but all brilliant!

Last edited by humorguy; 04-01-2009 at 04:47 PM. Reason: grammer
humorguy is offline                         Send a private message to humorguy
Old 05-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #88
Default Need more help

I posted this two days ago:

Downloaded game here - tried on DOS machine & pc running dosbox 0.72. Opening sequence plays normally - goes to stopwatch. After a couple seconds I get:

unable to open message file in initMessageStrings().
ouch! Something nasty happened!

I also downloaded the game from a site in France (which when unzipped had several directories missing from the file I downloaded here) but it fails with the same error. Any ideas??? Thanks

To the reply I did match all dosbox sound settings and still got that error. On the pc I set up as a DOS machine I tried with no sound at all and received the detailed error (DOS 6.22). Has anybody encountered this error, have a resolution? I've been trying to get this to work for days and days!!!
Thanks!!!

Old 05-01-2009, 12:32 PM   #89
Paco
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Paco Send a message via MSN to Paco Send a message via Yahoo to Paco

with which file are you starting?

I always use full.bat. There is also Legacy.bat and some File. Is the Error still coming with other File?

Check here for Maps i made

Last edited by Paco; 05-01-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Paco is offline                         Send a private message to Paco
Old 05-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #90
guest/dj
Default Reply

Yes - I've tried full, small and Legacy - same error every time! Thanks!!!