Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-01-2007, 02:57 PM   #21
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Alright, best admin-type-person involved in decision making and runnning the sister site. If you're still going to be picky, call it Tom.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 09-01-2007, 02:58 PM   #22
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

Note: I'm talking about 2006!

Admin of the year - Data (Good example for the non-hostile type of admin)
Mod of the year - Koen (he never gets any recognization)
Helper of the year - Horseman (check that guide of mine)
N00b of the year - UBC (kind of like the everlasting n00b, it seems)
Weirdest member of the year - Blood Piggy
Most annoying member of the year - Alex, hands down
Newcomer of the year - Mighty Midget
Best topic of the year - All those "I'm leaving" topics except for Blood Piggy's
Missed member of the year - Seb probably
Review of the year - Every one except for Blood Piggy's
Forum game of the year - waking up
Feud of the year - All those "I'm leaving" topics except for Blood Piggy's
Uploaded game of the year - Discwoooooooorld
Grinder is offline                         Send a private message to Grinder
Old 09-01-2007, 03:02 PM   #23
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Comeback of the year: muaddib
Avatar of the year: Lulu_Jane (that scull seeks competition :P)
Admin of the year: Data
Best topic of the year: The Fun Game
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 09-01-2007, 10:44 PM   #24
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

Couldn't we try to avoid those negatively charged "awards"?

I mean, sure it might not be a serious vote from the voter, but does the winner know? Like "Most Annoying Member". Just being nominated for that category can tick the wrong person of - and the result might end up as "The Feud of 2007". Especially as each voter is mentioned by name, and someone who is honestly hurt by such a nomination would be quick to start to defend him/herself by various means.

Nominating someone for "Best member of the Year" is good and will only have positive outcomes. Nominating someone for "Most annoying member of the Year".... not so much.

My nominations:
  • User of the Year: The Fifth Horseman
    For helping out everyone that needs help - no matter the forum, or the size of the task of helping. He is not just a User, he is also a Giver. Exactly the kind of members we need.
  • Admin of the Year: Reup
    For doing his very best, and for taking an honest interest in the forum and the people on it. He has adapted quickly and nicely to his role as an Admin, even though he has only been one for a very short time compared to other Admins.
  • Mod of the Year: The Fifth Horseman
    For cleaning out hundreds of pages of nonsense from the Game Discussion forum, doing an excellent job dealing with trouble-makers, and helping out the rest of the Mods as best as he can. Also for his assistance with the AW List.
  • Helper of the Year: The Fifth Horseman
    For the exact same reasons as above.
  • Newcomer of the Year: Mighty Midget
    For being an active all-round member, and for trying to help us out in any way that he can. And with his current list of games he would like to supply to the site, his future on this site looks very bright - and very busy.
  • Review of the Year: Return of the Phantom - Frodo
    A review is much more than just writing down a few lines of text and taking 5 screenshots from the first 10 minutes of gameplay. With the review of Return of the Phanton, which in itself is magnificently written, Frodo has supplied 10 great screenshots that stretches the entire lenght of the game and shows different aspects of gameplay. And, on top of that, she has crowned this jewel by personally writing one thorough walkthrough for each of the two difficulty levels, added a manual and a set of solutions for the Maze Challenges, and after all that was done and in the box, she then started to scan 13 pages of Copy Protections - and finished the whole thing of by supplying 2 great box-scans, and 1 floppy-scan.
    This is, to me, a review worth remembering for a long time.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:41 PM   #25
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom Henrik @ Jan 10 2007, 12:44 AM) [snapback]274101[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Couldn't we try to avoid those negatively charged "awards"?

I mean, sure it might not be a serious vote from the voter, but does the winner know? Like "Most Annoying Member". Just being nominated for that category can tick the wrong person of - and the result might end up as "The Feud of 2007". Especially as each voter is mentioned by name, and someone who is honestly hurt by such a nomination would be quick to start to defend him/herself by various means.

Nominating someone for "Best member of the Year" is good and will only have positive outcomes. Nominating someone for "Most annoying member of the Year".... not so much.
[/b]
Nah, I think the negatively charged awards are what makes it fun. Besides, the members I saw nominated for 'most annoying of the year' should be pretty much okay with it. Take, for example, UBC (yes, I'm mentioning names, sue me). He long ago accepted that he was an annoying spammer, and didn't get touched by it. Hell, he even made it his trademark! Or Blood Piggy, just to name someone else - he's weird, sure, but it's just part of him. No one can ever explain his jokes, but they're still funny. And he knows he's weird and he's cool with it.

Also, the feud thing. I'm not gonna pull this out of the dirt again, but do you think they would've happened if all of you had reacted like you should have? I mean, big deal, someone opens a thread about why the-admin-that-I-won't-name-here is such a big fat jerk and all that. Just close the thing and PM him. But keep it polite, set a good example of how to behave, don't explain in three acts why the user opening the threads is a big, fat jerk himself. Come on, you all have common sense, use it!

Sorry if that was too harsh, but the bossy, pseudo-mature tone of your post just ticked me off.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:05 PM   #26
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Henning @ Jan 10 2007, 04:41 PM) [snapback]274181[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Sorry if that was too harsh, but the bossy, pseudo-mature tone of your post just ticked me off.[/b]
OK, here we go for another "no, I didn't mean" and "but you have to see"-discussion.

I guess we will have to drop this.

MY opinion:
@ Henning: Tom is in his mid-twenties so he IS mature and may sound mature. He's not saying it that way to annoy you.

@Tom Henrik: Maybe some people should consider that several thing are fun. _Not_ serious. And if they have a problem with an internet forum award they probably should grow. Mentally that is.

Thanks for your time, guys. k:
Old 10-01-2007, 03:29 PM   #27
Japo
Autonomous human

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom Henrik @ Jan 10 2007, 12:44 AM) [snapback]274101[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Just being nominated for that category can tick the wrong person of - and the result might end up as "The Feud of 2007".[/b]
This is true IMHO. And we might have Teh Feud o'2007 already going on... All I can say is, keep it within the rules, and if you're really going to turn this into Teh Feud, open a new thread instead AND keep it within the rules. Over and OUT on this.

I can't think of nominees for all categories right now, maybe I'll come back with more later. But for now:

ADMIN: Maikel. I couldn't possibly choose one admin instead of other out of the blue --obviously all of them are crucial-- but, since nobody's mentioned him, perhaps because people are unaware and take it for granted his artwork, then I feel it my duty to recognize him. Plus I understand there's a re-design coming down because the Studentis thingy.

MOD: the fifth horseman. I have to admit he's the one doing most mod job, at least that I know of. It's more than okay with the rest of the mods though, kudos to them as well, I guess they'd mod more if they had the time. But still my special recognition goes to 'Horseman. He's the one caring of all the newbies which inspired my sig, and dude now that's a tough job. Plus he knows his job, IMHO. And I'm not nominating him because he thinks my sig is cool, :P after all he's right, that's the pure truth. :bleh: Although I can understand why he's precisely the one finding it most hilarious.

HELPER: Frodo. Since I can nominate a non-mod for this, my vote goes to her. Because she answers a lot of questions in the forums, especially related to games themselves, in a way impossible to be kinder, and always ends it with a thumb-up smiley. k: I had it decided before reading Tom's post, but now I guess the case is closed.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:35 AM   #28
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Japofran @ Jan 10 2007, 05:29 PM) [snapback]274195[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Frodo [...] her
[/b]
:blink: I never knew.......

Icewolf: Maturity has nothing to do with age (no offense or hint intended), but I do understand the point of his post
Old 11-01-2007, 10:36 PM   #29
taikara
Abandonia Homie

I couldn't decide on a lot of them... so I said two for quite a few of them, sorries.

User of the year. Beef on the Raffles (for always sticking by their convictions, no matter how "unpopular" those convictions may be) and DeathDude (for his amazing ability to take a hit and pop right back up with a smile on his face)
Admin of the year. Tom Henrik (for behind-the-scenes work such as the Abandonware List) or Reup (for just being so darn cool).
Mod of the year. ReamusLQ (for being extremely dedicated, and a fine example of level-headedness) or Eagle of Fire (he's tough, which is what makes him good).
Helper of the year. Romano (for keeping us informed as to our rankings among other more behind-the-scenes things)
N00b of the year. Abstain from voting.
Most annoying member of the year. Abstain!!
Newcomer of the year. Mighty Midget or Icewolf (I just like them)
Best topic of the year. The Real-Life Photos thread
Missed member of the year. Wael *sniff*
Review of the year. Anything By Frodo (to be particular, Return of the Phantom is really good)
Reviewer of the year Frodo
Forum game of the year. Who Will Post Next? (It's fun if you just randomly jump in)
Uploaded game of the year. Albion
Comeback of the year. Sebatianos (it counts if they leave and come back in the same year, right?) or Playbahnosh (for the most comebacks in a year - but I'm glad you were able to manage to work out your situations )
Weirdest member of the year. That guy who posted about how everyone hated him, and he kept getting chased out of forums, posting a ton of links to said forums - that was really weird...

A bit of egotism (sorries, the ones I made are the only ones I can think of, hehe):

Best Avvie: Doubler's Llama (I love the face) or Beef's Evil Cow (hehehe)
Best Sig: Danny's Sweet! sig (because it enlightened me as to just how much profiteroles resemble poop on a plate)
taikara is offline                         Send a private message to taikara
Old 11-01-2007, 10:52 PM   #30
Romano
Ye Olde Anarchist

Well, we have enough votes for Missed member of the year to make a pool :w00t:
I will make one already
Romano is offline                         Send a private message to Romano