Go Back   Forums > Updates Workflow > Request Games > Freeware Games
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-12-2006, 11:55 PM   #1
Elvarg

Thumbs up StarFight VI - Gatekeepers

I am looking to identify a space game.

Name: Don't know, that's what I need to find out. If you actually HAVE the game thats great, but I'm sure that I'll be able to get it if I remember the name.

Genre: A very interesting concept, an alternation between an adventure game and a top-down real-time space combat game. As you advance through through the plot, you alternate between two game styles:

- A standard point-and-click adventure game, played usually inside a spaceship. Several of these pop up as you advance through the plot, and you must beat each scenario to move forward. At this stage, the graphics of the environment are (if I remember correctly) 3D renders, HOWEVER, in appearing cutscenes when you talk to people, those people are drawn 2D pictures with a very "cartoonish" theme.

- A top-down real-time space combat. I don't call it strategy because there isn't any "strategy", but it does have the elements of RTS games. In those strages, you control your ship in a top-down fashion, and fight other ships. The graphics, while appearing in a 2D top-down perspective, do seem like 3D renders. If I'm not mistaken, at this stage you had a bit more freedom to do stuff (like switch fighting maps at will), but eventually you had a grand objective to complete, and once done, you'd go on with the plot, possibly entering another point-and-click adventure segment.

Year: I'd say late 90's or early 2000's. I THINK it used 640x480 res (could be wrong though), and it certainly used 256+ colors and some fairly advanced animations not typical of older games.

License: I'm pretty sure it was freeware. I think I downloaded the game from the company site, not a warez site or p2p client. Some parts of it (like the simplistic toonish animations of cutscene characters) makes me believe its not a big-company game but made by amateur enthusiasts.

OH, and a very good lead for those willing to help: The fuel used by ships of the game was called either Derilium or Delirium, don't remember the spelling, but it's one of those.

Thanks in advance.
Elvarg is offline                         Send a private message to Elvarg
Old 13-12-2006, 12:15 AM   #2
Avelardo
Abandonia nerd

You might be thinking of "Megatraveller 2: Quest for the Ancients", available on the site.
Avelardo is offline                         Send a private message to Avelardo
Old 13-12-2006, 07:17 AM   #3
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Elvarg @ Dec 13 2006, 01:55 AM) [snapback]271434[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
OH, and a very good lead for those willing to help: The fuel used by ships of the game was called either Derilium or Delirium, don't remember the spelling, but it's one of those.
[/b]
Maybe it was Deuterium?
Old 13-12-2006, 10:35 AM   #4
Japo
Autonomous human

Sound like Star Control II but newer... Well you should give SC2 a try anyway.
Old 13-12-2006, 10:50 PM   #5
Elvarg

Thx all, found the game, called Starfight VI.

PS. The fuel name was Dilithium.
Elvarg is offline                         Send a private message to Elvarg