Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-10-2006, 05:32 PM   #31
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mika @ Oct 31 2006, 05:49 AM) [snapback]264453[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
You can't change the view, but the game is built using a pure 3d engine.
[/b]
You can change your view. A 2D side scroller isn't zero dimensional only because you can't change your view without moving your character (reciprocal - changing your view by moving is also changing your view). You can compare it to a FPS in which you can move your head - you have to move to change your view that way. But my view of views is weird anyway - e.g. I consider side scrollers without vertical scrolling 1D.

Btw: I also disapprove of a 3D tag but I would love to create tags.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:05 AM   #32
JJXB
Pi-voh

3d tag is a good idea. i think the main issue is "what is 3d?" as stated earlier in the thread. what tom isn't taking into consideration is that doom was thought of as "3d" when it came out, it might be considered pseudo-3d now but you have to think objectively about standards then and now. if you put halo and doom 1 up against each other, halo would win in terms of 3d as that is comparing an old game to TODAY'S standards. but compare wolf 3d to doom and it's a fairer comparison since they are more closely related in terms of standards at the time. so i think stuff like doom should be classed as 3d since at the time of it's release IT WAS 3D.

because to me abandonware is old games that have been officially abandoned, not halo up for download when it's still selling loads of copies. so judge it by abandonware standards, not today's latest standards for classification. if the person looking at the doom says "that's not 3D!" then it's most likely to be a current generation gamer that can't appreciate that for their time they were good and maybe still are in some ways. some current generation gamers can appreciate the difference in standards though. it's those gamers that can see past comparison to today's standards that would only truly appreciate the real value.
JJXB is offline                         Send a private message to JJXB
Old 01-11-2006, 10:39 AM   #33
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

Well, I agree, but AB is going to stay around for a long time. And as AB gets older, abandonware gets bigger. And it's not that many years before we start to see some fully 3D games on the site. And when that happens it will be confusing to have a 3D tag on both pseudo-3D and fully 3D.

If you look at the posts in this topic, it seems that every single person says that using a 3D tag would be very easy to do, but also that everyone has a different view on what qualifies as a game worthy of a 3D tag. With so much diversions in oppinions, such a tag would be better left out of the tags poll.

In case I have not stated this good enough: Personally I love the idea of tags, and I believe it will make the site even more professional and make browsing the games really easy. However, in order to accomplish that, we need to steer away from vague tags that could mean a thousand things. That would make game browsing more confusing, and a confusing site is an unprofessional site.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:28 PM   #34
Burger Meister
Om Teh Nom Noms

Older Windows games are always cool and once they get older... ESA will start to abandon them. That will mean that we can put them here (depending on space nad bandwidth inssues.
Burger Meister is offline                         Send a private message to Burger Meister
Old 19-11-2006, 06:50 PM   #35
nace
Abandonia nerd

Location: Kavadarci, Macedonia, the former Yugoslav Republic of

I just checked HOTU action games section, they allready have a 3d games tag....

Just to let you guys and girls know
nace is offline                         Send a private message to nace
Old 19-11-2006, 07:02 PM   #36
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nace @ Nov 19 2006, 08:50 PM) [snapback]267634[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

[/b]
Amazing!
Old 20-11-2006, 12:07 AM   #37
nace
Abandonia nerd

Location: Kavadarci, Macedonia, the former Yugoslav Republic of

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Luchsen @ Nov 19 2006, 09:02 PM) [snapback]267637[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nace @ Nov 19 2006, 08:50 PM) [snapback]267634[/snapback]
Quote:

[/b]
Amazing!
[/b][/quote]

Yes, it`s fantastic!
Too bad we didn`t get your oppinion on the topic...

nace is offline                         Send a private message to nace
Old 20-11-2006, 09:08 AM   #38
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Will it be done so we could search multiple tags, say "isometric" & "sport", sort of a "filter you search to your heart's delight"?
Old 25-11-2006, 06:24 PM   #39
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

Btw: Will the tags be translatable?
Old 25-11-2006, 06:53 PM   #40
Treewyrm
Abandonia nerd

Yup, multiple tags are very useful. Accompanied with user-friendly search form it can become very effective search tool. Genres are becoming useless, too many games mix multiple genres and often it's difficult to say which one is primary. More games will become abandonware so sooner or later we'll need such feature. Also similarity-map would be neat cool-looking feature: net-like map with selected game in the center and "similar" games around tied one to another, of course there is a good chance of getting infinity loop but depth limit + stack should do the trick.
Treewyrm is offline                         Send a private message to Treewyrm