Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #161
Japo
Autonomous human

It's been a while since I played this. The maximum number of troops depended on your land holdings. Pick any missions that involve a land reward, and defend what you already have.

Battles are easy as long as you're the attacker, see one of my posts just above.

You can also increase the value of your land by raising the taxes the peasants pay, but it also decreases your honor.

You can increase your honor by winning duels or fights against bandits, marrying a woman from a family with higher honor than you, or donating land to monks. If you're caught while trying to abduct a relative of an enemy, you'll lose honor, but nothing will happen if you're not caught in the act, even if you use it later for blackmail.

Generalship is the least useful of attributes, it influences the morale of your troops in battle. It's usually more important to outmaneuver or outnumber the enemy.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #162
soran

will do. thank you very much :]

Old 30-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #163
tristanzz
Forum hobbit

Default Unsurpassed honor?

Can't figure out how to get "unsurpassed honor" here. It stops scaling at extreme honor for me. Has anyone who got this able to remember how they did it?

I wanted to try getting the highest score. Out of interest, I did some trial-and-error hex editing in the game file, TALLTALE.DAT. I found the offset address for honor: a single entry at AD (or decimal 173) whose value basically ranges from 00 (no honor) to 78 (decimal 120, extreme honor). Unsurpassed is 80. While a daimyo with everything else pretty much maxed out, I did a lot of messing around with dueling, melees, and donating land to the monks, but nothing I do seems to get me above 78... which being hex, is actually eight points off 80, not two. Honor progression seems pretty straightforward until you hit this 70+ point range, which is represented by eight suns in your assets page.

One thing I didn't try was messing around with certain special events like the three dueling brothers or the ninja assassin urban attack which might end up paying off better or just behave differently. It's possible they give higher rewards or could push your honor rating up when it's already high... but I find that unlikely.

After playing through and getting a pretty nice score, I went back into TALLTALE.DAT and tried putting in 80 points for honor and generalship, to see what the highest score is:

The technical limit on points at the end of your game is probably 3,500. But you only get your 300-year dynasty message for exceeding this. Being two-digit hex values, the assets can all scale up to 255, values far greater than the mechanics allow, and points appear to keep climbing with honor, generalship, and land. You might be able to keep improving your generalship to high levels and break 3,500 without even worrying about honor— I don't know...
tristanzz is offline                         Send a private message to tristanzz
Old 01-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #164
tristanzz
Forum hobbit

Default Update

Thanks to spotty internet and power outages, there was time to do some serious off-and-on samuraiing these past couple days, and I got my unsurpassed honor.

Theory: we can't get this level if we either 1) play all the way through with our original samurai, rather than a successor, or 2) assassinate either our Hatamoto or Diamyo lords. It could be either one, since those are the two main differences between this game and my previous attempt.

The highest honor my samurai could get in any case was "extreme" until he was made the Daimyo of the clan. Once he succeeded the old Daimyo, he immediately passed the rank on to his son, the third generation Youth. This kid pulled off this honor stunt within a few turns by winning a typical "wandering duelist who defeats all comers" encounter. According to the hex data in the save game, Honor rose from 7A (122) to 80 (128) in this encounter. So that's how that goes, just for anyone who gets stumped.
tristanzz is offline                         Send a private message to tristanzz
Old 01-09-2011, 06:52 PM   #165
Japo
Autonomous human

I never got to isolate what gives you unsurpassed honor. I also tried to find out about the high score (Tanaka was me as guest):

http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/sho...488#post144488
Old 04-09-2011, 06:00 AM   #166
tristanzz
Forum hobbit

The best guess I can offer is that the buck needs to be passed on to an heir at least once. I noticed that brand new characters can never begin with 80 honor, even though 80 land, generalship, or kenjutsu are all possible. Honor can start at 70 at most. There is probably a link there. For kicks I backed up my save and set all the values to FF before winning, and got to see the 300-year shogunate message.

On the record, this game is the only abandonware I ever started from scratch, having never played it during its release. It's an awesome game.
Old 17-09-2011, 03:39 AM   #167
spartican

sengoku by paradox just came out sept 15. If you like this game you might like that one to. You can get the demo at there site.
spartican is offline                         Send a private message to spartican
Old 04-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #168
dimos
Lurker

Default Hex Cheats

FYI...
SaveGames are in TALLTALE
For savegame1 you'll find:
Honor value in AD or 173
Army value in AF or 175
Swordsmanship value in B1 or 177
Generalship value in B3 or 179
Land value in B5 or 181
...these are the locations in the TALLTALE file if you hex-edit it
dimos is offline                         Send a private message to dimos
Old 17-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #169
thisisjfritzyb
Arrow

I was wondering; how can you get F2 F3 and the others to work if the buttons are automatically programmed by Bill Gates to brighten, lower the lighting of the computer screen, and switch from computer to projector mode?

Do I have to get into some configuration file and change the button commands to something else?

And where in the round world is the nefarious scroll key?

Old 18-06-2012, 02:57 AM   #170
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisjfritzyb View Post
I was wondering; how can you get F2 F3 and the others to work if the buttons are automatically programmed by Bill Gates to brighten, lower the lighting of the computer screen, and switch from computer to projector mode?

Do I have to get into some configuration file and change the button commands to something else?

And where in the round world is the nefarious scroll key?
Sounds like you're pressing FN at the same time as the key. Without FN pressed, the key should register normally.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman