Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-03-2005, 10:16 AM   #1
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to MdaG Send a message via AIM to MdaG Send a message via MSN to MdaG Send a message via Yahoo to MdaG

I used to play HOMM 3 with my brother all the time and I recently found HOMM 4 in a bargain bin. I've tried it out and so far I have to say I like it. But when I read reviews and listen to peoples comment about it, I seldom read anything positive. So my question is: What's so bad about HOMM 4 ?

HOMM = Heroes of Migth and Magic
MdaG is offline                         Send a private message to MdaG
Old 31-03-2005, 10:25 AM   #2
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I liked it too, but most of my friends who i used to play hotseat with stuck to HoMM3 - I think they couldn't be bothered to get used to the ways it was slightly different to the earlier ones. It's not just you that likes it though!
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 31-03-2005, 01:33 PM   #3
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

HOMM 4 is a very good game, as a stand alone.But if you take into account that it's the sequel to HOMM 3, then it's a very poor game.For instance i didn't like the fact that it borrowed to concept of building your army from Disciples.
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 31-03-2005, 02:01 PM   #4
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Omuletzu@Mar 31 2005, 01:33 PM
HOMM 4 is a very good game, as a stand alone.But if you take into account that it's the sequel to HOMM 3, then it's a very poor game.For instance i didn't like the fact that it borrowed to concept of building your army from Disciples.
How does that necessarily make it a very poor game? Especially since all the concepts in the HOMM series came from other games, published earlier?
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 31-03-2005, 02:04 PM   #5
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

It's worst in gameplay than it's predecessor, i mean come on, don't you sense it??
And it really saddened me to see that they STOLE game concepts from Disciples...

But i don't want to flame anybody, although i am in the mood..., so i'll stop here, this is just my opinion

Have fun
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 31-03-2005, 02:29 PM   #6
irrelevantjet
Abandonia nerd

i found HoMM4 bad because of....

i don't know really..... i just LOVE HoMM3 so much compared to this game

i guess HoMM3 earnt my love and HoMM4 is trying to use that love to get into my life without effort LOL

i love the graphics in HoMM3... the semi-alright 3d graphics of HoMM4 made me a bit sad :eeeeeh:
irrelevantjet is offline                         Send a private message to irrelevantjet
Old 31-03-2005, 05:50 PM   #7
Chuck the plant
Game Wizzard

The point's already been made: While HOMM 4 might not be a bad game in its own right, it just plain sucks in comparision to HOMM 3 (I even bought all four add-ons... should give you an idea of how much I loved that game... :blink: ).
Chuck the plant is offline                         Send a private message to Chuck the plant
Old 31-03-2005, 07:21 PM   #8
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to MdaG Send a message via AIM to MdaG Send a message via MSN to MdaG Send a message via Yahoo to MdaG

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck the plant@Mar 31 2005, 05:50 PM
The point's already been made: While HOMM 4 might not be a bad game in its own right, it just plain sucks in comparision to HOMM 3 (I even bought all four add-ons... should give you an idea of how much I loved that game...* :blink: ).
Why does it suck? What's better in HOMM 3? (Apart from the music and the fact that there are more towns in HOMM 3 :whistle: )
MdaG is offline                         Send a private message to MdaG
Old 31-03-2005, 07:22 PM   #9
Dreadlord
[BANNED]

Well, HOMM 3 is better balanced, graphics are better for it's time, it's got all that fancy shiz dealing with it's unit system, but HOMM 4 just let out with bugs and confusing interface probs.
Dreadlord is offline                         Send a private message to Dreadlord
Old 31-03-2005, 07:31 PM   #10
Chuck the plant
Game Wizzard

More towns, units, items...

Graphics look much better (not just for that time, this pseudo-rendering in HOMM4 just plain sucks) and are more practical as well (iso is not really the way to go here)

Better balanced (more tactical depth, especially when including the add-ons)

better music

better controls

Better "overall-feeling"... HOMM4 just looks and feels so clinical. I love style of HOMM3. It might not look realistic at all, but it's just vibrant with all those colours, little animations etc... while HOMM4 tries to recapture that, it fails miserably. It just doesn't feel right... like a CGI-remake of the Muppet Show wouldn't feel right.
Chuck the plant is offline                         Send a private message to Chuck the plant