Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #11
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble View Post
While browsing this list of indie games my attention was caught by Palm Kingdoms 2 Deluxe, which is a clone of the Heroes of Might and Magic that looks a lot like HoMM2. The first instalment in the series, Palm Heroes, was released on handhelds, but the sequel also has Windows and Mac versions. A downloadable demo is also available.
I think the word "clone" has never been used this correctly when described a video game. This is Heroes of Might and Magic 2, but with different name and slightly altered visuals and graphics which Im pretty sure some were lifted straight from HOMM2.

Even the heroes are 99% identical. Just by comparing Sandro from HOMM series and "Sandru" from Palm Kingdoms 2* it looks like they just took the original face and photoshopped it.

*I actually typed Palm Heroes 2 here, which I think used to be its previous name.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 02-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #12
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChosen View Post
I think the word "clone" has never been used this correctly when described a video game. This is Heroes of Might and Magic 2, but with different name and slightly altered visuals and graphics which Im pretty sure some were lifted straight from HOMM2.
Hmm, when I used the word "clone" I actually meant exactly that I understand that usually games that are called "clones" try to get further away from their "prototypes" one way or another, while in this case it's more of "same but different" type of thing (like Doom and FreeDoom). I guess another term that could have been used is Ersatz.