Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthHelmet86 View Post
And it also sounds really creepy and weird, I don't know if I want a game that tracks what news I pay attention to or who I talk to and then adds them into itself.
For me it looks exactly like Google.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 09-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #12
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
For me it looks exactly like Google.
This is indeed true, but Google is tracking it to give me better results and targeted ads. Not do some weird game on Facebook.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 10-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #13
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Yes, it hardly game for me too. But I would pleased if I would receive "thematic" news and links instead stupid "top 10 posts" or like.

But, I repeat, I cannot guess,what game can be done with it. %)
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 11-06-2012, 05:01 AM   #14
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

While I'm not here to defend Molyneux himself (I don't know him that well to either be pro or against), but his early games.

TheChosen, the fact that you've skipped through them it shows that you haven't been around when Populous was launched. And I bought Populous 2 back then. It allows me to look at it from completely different perspective.
You appear to judge those games by todays standard, because there's one thing lacking in your statement: that those games allowed something that previous games didn't. Can you please prove me wrong and show me an example of earlier "god game"? Or Dungeon Keeper-like game?
By the way, I completely don't understand that newspaper quote regarding Dungeon Keeper.

Magic Carpet was fresh because of its setting and technical marvels, it was enjoyable too. Theme Park was popular. I was a bit let down by Black&White, because at some points it sounded too innovative (for example I hate gestures as interface feature).

I do agree that Molyneux is most likely an idea man. They usually get burned out at some point in their career... but it's hard to be innovative as you get old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalAnarchy View Post
I have to point out though, that false advertisement is a common thing in the gaming industry.
So is in all entertainment (e.g. movies, TV), electronics etc. ...pretty much it affects all luxury goods.
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 11-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #15
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Theme Park was indeed a big thing back then, one of the top economy simulations of the time spoken of, along with Sim City and Railroad Tycoon. Also slow as heck in high resolution even on a 486DX4-100, but only at that resolution really enjoyable, low resolution showed just a bit too little.
Magic Carpet was pretty unusual, and quite creepy for me at the time, never finished it because of that. But it was very interesting and innovative for it's time, even if quite different.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 11-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #16
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

Yes he talks alot, but if you look at his CV he can be considered the granpa of a branch of modern gaming (RTS - GodGames), and granpas talks alot after all

I still play Bullfrog games nowadays, they were so well made that they are still enjoyable after 20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chosen
[...] a story about developer promising a lot but delivering less since 1997. Have a nice day.
I agree with you here, his last titles are more marketing than interesting content but I see him like that granpa who talks alot but I'm still thankful and admire him for the things he did
Old 11-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #17
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRS View Post
TheChosen, the fact that you've skipped through them it shows that you haven't been around when Populous was launched. And I bought Populous 2 back then. It allows me to look at it from completely different perspective.
You appear to judge those games by todays standard, because there's one thing lacking in your statement: that those games allowed something that previous games didn't. Can you please prove me wrong and show me an example of earlier "god game"? Or Dungeon Keeper-like game?
By the way, I completely don't understand that newspaper quote regarding Dungeon Keeper.

Magic Carpet was fresh because of its setting and technical marvels, it was enjoyable too. Theme Park was popular. I was a bit let down by Black&White, because at some points it sounded too innovative (for example I hate gestures as interface feature).
True, I kind of had to skimp out a bit to get into part where he started hyping thing, but then again I really don't have anything negative to say about his early work. And yes, I wasn't born back then so its bit hard for me to see why Populous was so big and cant really remember games like that that came before it (I'll look into it though). Also, he was just a producer for Syndicate and Magic Carpet and so I don't think he had that much of influence in the design. Same reason I downplayed Theme Park too, because he co-created it, so I dont know how much of that is from him.

As for Dungeon Keeper...what do you mean you dont get it? I thought the "newspaper" (actually a gaming magazine) quote got it quite clear. Just like Fable, just like Black & White, there was lot of hype going around it, it was going to be fresh new take on RPG's, something really different and revolutionary but at the end we got a yet another strategy game (Plenty of those during the 97, thanks to Red Alert) with bunch of cool ideas. It does play differently compared to other RTS games, but its still a RTS game. There's no "Dungeon Keeper-like" sub-genre despite Evil Genius aping it, so no revolution either.

While I did kind of looked Populous by todays standards, this is how I remember Dungeon Keeper being looked at back then (of course, with no internet or foreing gaming magazines).
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 11-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #18
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Thing is, if you're going to base your research on papers and magazines and the like you're never going to have any grasp of reality in this train of thought simply because those papers and magazines were the source of most of the hype back then!

It is possibly still the same thing happening today too. You don't really need to go far to see this anyways: just watch the daily news on TV and every single day you'll see at least one news which is blown out of proportion because they simply have nothing better to talk about.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:23 AM   #19
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
Magic Carpet was pretty unusual[...]
It also supported 3D (stereoscopic) glasses and VR headset (HMD) - just how many games did this back in 1994? Terrain modelling was pretty impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChosen View Post
As for Dungeon Keeper[...] it was going to be fresh new take on RPG's, something really different and revolutionary[...]
No, I still don't get what you or that mag expected from DK. How did you envisioned it to be?
In normal RPG heroes march through a dungeon (often in 1st person perspective), avoiding traps and fighting monsters. If we reverse the roles (this is how it was advertised) then... what, were we simply supposed to walk as bad guy, casting bad spells (traps), fighting monster sprites replaced by good guy sprites? Now that would be totally ordinary and not innovative: exactly what every dungeon crawler is, just under the evil banner...
Besides, you can do that in DK! You walk as a monster in 1st person perspective view and fight heroes - some levels can be completed only that way. Did you noted every monster has own stats, level, etc.?
What DK really is: a game where you design a dungeon for heroes to get lost (the labyrinth, the traps, even the treasures) and fill it with hostile monsters (for heroes to fight them). Now this is RPG gameplay as seen from the other side of a barricade!

I do admit I haven't played Molyneux' latest games, so I can't rate them.
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 12-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #20
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10