Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner > Programming
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-05-2009, 07:32 AM   #1
Saccade
[BANNED]

Default New hack-Iphone developer's kit released (beta)

http://www.hackint0sh.org/

It's available for most platforms - the forums at the place above go into more detail.

Wouldn't it be pretty, pretty, pretty good if there was a way to get DosBox or Boxer to run on Iphone?

Then, as well as the quality applications (the up-to-the-minute tube info and GPS map being to great ones) and better games (java and flash) and the somewhat lamer games, you could play proper and decent games on it.

Like point-and-click adventures or other games that don't require a complex interface, since you only have the touch-screen, tilt-switches and rudimentary buttons to interact.

I don't know if it's a project worth starting, but I think that getting some Interactive Fiction and Text Adventures working on Iphone would be good.
You could use the virtual keyboard quite easily in them - even though it would be frustrating at times.

I can't even send text messages on the damn things because I keep accidentally pressing the letter next to the one I want.
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade
Old 13-05-2009, 05:01 AM   #2
red_avatar
Administrator

Ugh, I'd really get frustrated with an iphone to play *any* game. There's no tactile feedback - in case you don't know what this means: a button "clicks" when pressed so you know it has been pressed. A touch screen has zero tactile feedback and you often hit the wrong button. With an iPhone being that small, adventure games would be annoying to play unless you used a pen instead of fingers and even then ...

I used to believe the Nintendo DS was ideal for adventure games as well but it's just not the same on a small screen. I played several games and while they're technically playable, they're not as enjoyable.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 15-05-2009, 05:05 AM   #3
Saccade
[BANNED]

That is a major pain in the erse, Red...
The Iphone just feels like it needs a stick. It takes ages to get used to it.
I use Pandaaa!'s occasionally and it makes my hands feel weird - there's no feedback, like you said, so it's like touching nothing.

I never got on with Spectrum keyboards, either.
Give me a BBC, Commodore or Atari anyday!

Still, a lot of the games are conversions of the stuff you'd get like Bejewelled and there are some DS and PSP games on there.
There's even MGS4!

It'd be good to have a decent parser made for it, so you could play IF or Text games, though I don't think that todays 733t kids like them as much as people who grew up with Repton (even though that's not a text game) and Zork and stuff.
If you could have games like that on a PC on it, I'd consider getting one myself.

But my PC laptop is better and does everything an Iphone can do.
Just it needs a lot of attachments and ends up needing a wheelbarrow to be portable...
Old 15-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
Peter
Forum hobbit

How does it work ? Do I need to modify the Iphone to play it ?
Peter is offline                         Send a private message to Peter
Old 15-05-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
Saccade
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moisture View Post
How does it work ? Do I need to modify the Iphone to play it ?
Sorry to disappoint you, Moisture, but this is just the basic software to start designing stuff for Iphone...

I have absolutely no idea how you'd go about doing it, but I know that there are people here who have better programming skills than me.
I just wanted to share it.
You never know - someone may spot something or have a similar idea elsewhere and it could happen.

Stranger things have happened at sea.