Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner > Programming
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
thatmexicanguy
Game freak

Default Programming a new RPG...

Hey guys! It has literally been *years* since I have posted in the forums here at Abandonia, and I must say it feels good to be back. Anyway, I am currently programming a new game and I am just trying to generate some interest in it.

There is no specific theme as of yet, but the engine itself will be fairly open-ended to a point. I plan for it to be (as you can see) like those old-school first person dungeon crawlers, in the vein of Wizardry.

As I am more of a hobbyist programmer and no where near that great with my coding skills, it is less than likely there will be any animations, sound, music, etc. Doubtful, but always possible. I am currently using QB64.

Character sprite and wall images come from http://mmimageworld.dugtrio17.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi, a Wolfenstein 3D image gallery.

Let me know what you guys think!

EDIT: The current screenshot does not reflect anything that will actually take place in the game. It was just something I tossed together real quick for the sole purpose of showing off.

- Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FPS.jpg (99.1 KB, 23 views)
thatmexicanguy is offline                         Send a private message to thatmexicanguy
Old 12-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatmexicanguy View Post
There is no specific theme as of yet
That should be the first thing you should work on. There are so many games out there, even free ones with decent quality, that in order to raise interest you should make it stand out. Otherwise it's just like a school project that ends up on the bottom of desk drawer (like that game I made in 1997).

I'm surprised you didn't team up with some hobbyist pixel artist.

That's how this world is imperfect. I've got vivid images of future games, but I haven't hooked with a good programmer...
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 12-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
thatmexicanguy
Game freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRS View Post
That should be the first thing you should work on. There are so many games out there, even free ones with decent quality, that in order to raise interest you should make it stand out. Otherwise it's just like a school project that ends up on the bottom of desk drawer (like that game I made in 1997).

I'm surprised you didn't team up with some hobbyist pixel artist.

That's how this world is imperfect. I've got vivid images of future games, but I haven't hooked with a good programmer...
Well, I eventually want to do a series of horror-themes games with this engine, but to start I am probably just going to do a short demo or a sci-fi military campaign. Right now I am just trying to finish the engine before I commit to storyline stuff.

Also, I don't know any artists lol.

EDIT: If anyone is interested in beta testing once I have something playable or if anyone would like more information regarding my game, please let me know. Thanks!

Last edited by thatmexicanguy; 12-09-2012 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Additional information, didn't want to double post
thatmexicanguy is offline                         Send a private message to thatmexicanguy
Old 13-09-2012, 12:11 AM   #4
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatmexicanguy View Post
Also, I don't know any artists
This is the Internet. Ask around. Even on this forum we have a section. Peek here. Or better here.

I'd rate my problem as bigger, because you can hire an artist to complete this and that, while a programmer is the backbone of the whole project.
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS