Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 16-04-2006, 12:11 AM   #21
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by The Niles@Apr 15 2006, 03:42 PM
Anubis don't be so paranoid. Why would anyone want to change it?
It is nice ov you Niles to mention that word today. I couldn't remember it yesterday when all of the sudden some ol' names started to appear on that topic. Thanks! :bye:
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 16-04-2006, 12:35 AM   #22
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

Was reffereing to Tai and Tom (admins @ AR)

Anyway, for every topic, there is a log with ALL moderation-options, that NOONE can manipulate. Don't worry, I'll see to that noone gets an unfair treatment, as i'm impartial in this matter.

As for my avatar, www.tbl.org is the creators of the picture. It's an old demo-groupe, and one of my absolute favorits.

If you want to spew your anger out, do so over me, but don't expect it to change anything.

I have my oppinion on the matter allready, and that is something i'll talk to Kosta about. Noone else.
Old 16-04-2006, 03:45 AM   #23
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
You don't say...
Anubis is right about the picture.
Every time I heard such a stupid comment, I always wonders what you guys would think about my own iron hand control over such problems. If I was in the place of the Admins, even this thread would never have lasted long enough for you to be able to post in it. It would be an immediate closure.

I guess it's a pretty relative way of viewing things, isn't? You should be happy that I'm only MOD of the troubleshooting section and not an actual admin.
Old 16-04-2006, 04:36 AM   #24
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

@ Titan - never say never. Like it or not, your avtar is naked lady, and abandonia is 'kind of family' place. I have no reason to be angry. I just don't understand how an admin promotes family site with such an avatar. It’s inappropriate…

@ EOF - Actually his post makes more sense then you moving topic where user askes for patch[url] post to Favorite Oldies and Newbies. From now only troubleshooting of Favorite games go to that forum?? And I really wonder how the person with attitude like this ever become an moderator (worst - on the forum that supposed to be help desk :blink: ). Do you know Tom? LOL

@ Data - Interesting is that Tom is / was doing the same he accused Fred of doing. Having a gang close to him, and clearing their minds... :blink: Wonder what was real reason to delete Fred's nick. That was first time I heard of such a measure, and I'm still member on forums with over 100K members. :not_ok:

@ Niles - Last thing this forum needs is that this gets discussed on some other forums on the net. And with deletion/ disappearance of topic I can easily see this happening in the future. That will be big disappointment for me, as I still like this site.

How you guys are handling things you can see the best from this example: Sebatianos is over a year suggesting international forum for help and games. Many of us agree that idea is great and we should have it. But according to admins there is no good way of doing it. And then you bought PDA and they created sub-forum just for you (and one two more owners) the same day?! :blink: Interesting way of solving sites (read personal) needs...

And to answer your question: I don't know Tom, but I can see his action and how do they affect me and my friends.

Do you know Tiki?

Do you believe he would do something to create chaos?
Old 16-04-2006, 05:48 AM   #25
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

You get things completely wrong Anubis, and this is the real problem. You seems to think the Admins are actually those who make decisions, but the real fact is that they are, and we Mods too, only Kosta's flag bearers. The real person who get the real decisions, in the end, is always Kosta.

You wonder how I ever got Mod of the troubleshooting section in the first place? By helping out in a time the troubleshooting section was more or less in a free for all state and getting noticed by Kosta himself. Do yourself a favor, and click on my name above my avatar then look at the part where it say "most active in". You'll notice my most active forum is Troubleshooting, for a very good reason. And even if right now it's only about 1/4 of all the posts that I do which end up there, in my early months here it was way higher than that. And I always been pretty proud of that.

So, it is Kosta himself who approached me, asking if I were interested in becoming the Mod of the Troubleshooting forum and I accepted. Then, by developping my own Mod powers and understanding over them, I slowly began to work on the Troubleshooting forum. I cleaned it, removed all the unnecessary pinned topics and asked Kosta if we could make the Troubleshooting Archive to place them there, and it's how that subsection been created. And, BTW, I would never have got that idea if it wasn't of Niles PDA subforum you just decided to bash down without a real good reason. If you dig deep enough, I'm sure you'll end up realising that Niles never did it without Kosta permission, and that he would be willing at any time to remove that subsection if Kosta decided it wasn't usefull or necessary for the board anymore.

All this to say that we are all shooting blind in the water with such a "stupid" discussion. You guys want to create a multi language forum? Fine by me. Ask Kosta and if he says yes, go for it. But if he says so, then just drop it or try to do it yourself without Kosta blessing.

And I shall end this post by saying this: anybody who might have a problem with me are welcome to PM me to talk about it. Otherwise, I'll just take for granted everyone is perfectly fine with me and my way of doing things. All I ask for as the Mod of the Troubleshooting forum is to follow the general rules of the board and my own custom rules for that particular forum so everything runs fine. I know it's specially hard for newbies to do that since they never read the stickies... But then again I'm way more easy on newbies for that particular reason. After all, we all been newbies here at one time.
Old 16-04-2006, 06:06 AM   #26
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

What happened to 'Iron Hand'?

As you probably noticed, when I notice something being wrong I post question about it. It is interesting that just after last time I posted comment on closing of topics in other languages, someone posted question and his topic almost got closed right away. (it was closed later, if I remember correctly)

This is my last time of trying to resolve anything with this suggestion / comments forum, as I'm more and more under impression that suggestions are not welcomed here, and that everyone (including admins such as Titan) are more and more using word 'Get over it' or 'Like it or not'. (Not something you like to hear of the group that claims taking care of things)

As he mentioned, nobody is holding me here, and we are (including 5000 other members) free to go, but he will keep his inappropriate avatar because he likes it.

Interestingly enough, at the same time Tom deletes Tiki's avatar as he believed it's inappropriate, and then Kosta by mistake removes his admin status from Reloaded site in clean up?!

C’mon. Who are we kidding here??

And you are taking wrong my comments. I would never complain (as I haven't for a long time you were doing your job properly) if you did not start to close topics for a no good reason. I asked you what do you think the person who does not speak English well will feel when his topic get's closed just because he is not fortunate enough to know the English. Have you ever been in situation that you don't know the language of the people around you?

Try also to give me a good reason that topic with patch request has finished in Favorites subforum???
Old 16-04-2006, 06:39 AM   #27
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I have no trouble with that. Especially since it's an extremely easy question.
Quote:
Rule 4: The Troubleshooting section is made for requesting help for running old games, especially those on this site (read rule #5 for complementary information). This means that this forum is not made to start an interesting conversation about any other kind of subject. For example, if you want to talk about your favorite game go to the Favorite Oldies and Newbies forum and start a thread there. If you want info on how to make hardware or software which are not games or related to making old games work on new computers, go to the Technical Stuff forum instead. This rule has been enforced a lot since I have been MOD of this place, and the direct consequence is having your thread moved to the right forum on sight. You will not be warned for doing such a thing unless it becomes obvious that they are intentional repeat offenses.
So the answer is very simple: his thread got moved because he didn't asked help for running a game, he asked help in finding a patch for the game. Slight, perhaps hardly noticeable difference you might say... However it's not the case. The Troubleshooting forum is populated by people who likes to help people run their games, while the Favorite Oldies and Newbies is mostly populated by people who don't want to bang their head to the walls to help people, but like to talk about games in general. So, the second reason why I moved the thread there is because the guy is simply more likely to actually find the help he wants there rather than in the Troubleshooting section. Add to this that I always keep a shadow thread in the Troubleshooting forum, all this end up doing is give the guy more visibility and this can only help him find a solution to his problem.

So, I hardly see what kind of problem this could lead us to. I'll try to cover your other questions.

Quote:
It is interesting that just after last time I posted comment on closing of topics in other languages, someone posted question and his topic almost got closed right away. (it was closed later, if I remember correctly)
This have absolutly nothing to do with you or anyone else. What I noticed is that it was probably a stunt or a bold move trying to turn the table in the non english speaking people favor while the "issue" was still being discussed. You said yourself not to kid ourselves... Then I guess you won't mind if I raise a pertinent question about the fact that there was absolutly no problem of this fashion for weeks, if not months, then several cases strangely errupted around the time the discussion took place...

Anyhow, this would not in any way make me think differently about how to approach the problem, since I would have warned then close the thread on the second offense like I'm used to do when something like this happen (and I beleives that's what happened too). I certainly don't want to go over this argument yet again, but as I said in the past all I'm doing is enforcing the board own rules. People need to post in english or they'll face thread lock if they don't comply.

Quote:
if you did not start to close topics for a no good reason.
I never do that. Closing without a reason, I mean. All my moderation actions are very well thought of, I never do something stupid, realise it and try to hide my tracks. I'd prefer to admit I actually did a mistake instead and excuse myself. I'm sure if you just ask me the reason on such or such occasion why I did something, I'll be able to give you a frank and sound answer immediatly.

For example, and you might be refering to that in the quote above, this thread. The reason I closed it is simple: I answered his question (which is so obvious I had to push myself to do) then closed the thread because there been a lot of negative newbie bashing recently (as well as newbie posting... But it's part of the job I guess). So I did that to protect him as well as to prevent yet another newbie bash or flame fest. I just knew I would need to step in somewhere in that thread to yet again call everyone back on topic, I simply saved time and probably another newb bashing fest anticipating the problem. Then the same user created a new topic saying he stumbled on another problem for the same game and that's not only perfect with me, but that's also what should be done in that forum when such things happen. So I'm pretty happy with that.

Anyways, as I said earlier I am fully aware of all my actions as moderator and I am fully ready to explain to anybody who would wish to understand what I did or do to anybody sending me a polite question over a PM.
Old 16-04-2006, 08:34 AM   #28
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Anubis your problem is that you do not listen to peoples arguments. You have an opinion and if that opinion does not square with someone else's that person is wrong and you are right no matter what anyone has to say about that.
Even in this topic you take the oppertunity to show how your own views on matters long since discussed and decided over are better then those of people disagreeing with you.
I am not worried about what might be said on other forums regarding abandonia as I know where it will be comming from.
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 16-04-2006, 09:37 AM   #29
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Don't you think that this is such a very good occasion to flame?

The admins totalitaristic power... the Titan's nude avatar... the EoF "Iron hand"...
Someone could be soo tempted

Well, excuse me for being , but happy Easter to anyone: be friendly dudes! :angel:
Old 16-04-2006, 11:31 AM   #30
Maikel
Abandonia Homie

Unlike what some of you might think, we take note of the suggestions we get. But while it may look like a great addition for the site to you, we are the ones who have to incorporate it.

So we take into account: The actuel use of it? The time it will take to build/ change it? Will the time it'll cost to build count up to the use of it? Will other people find it useful besides the one proposing it?

So you may hear 'no' a lot. Which can be frustrating. But a lot of suggestions have all been proposed before and considered not handy. Doesn't mean you should quit proposing stuff of course.

I know it's a bit off topic, but I saw someone claiming we don't listen.
Maikel is offline                         Send a private message to Maikel
Closed Thread