Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-02-2008, 10:20 PM   #1
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

Default Diggers

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)
Old 12-02-2008, 12:59 AM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I remembered briefly playing this game, and I was wondering how come I never played it much or to the end of the game for it looks incredibly interesting. A quick download later, I sadly remember why.

Great idea, would make an incredible game. However, execution is horrible, interface is sub-sub-sub-sub par and utterly complicated for such a simple game, it's impossible to be able to control five miners at the same time with such setting and controls, the miners often act on their own at random and destroy what you are trying to do, speed of the game seem to randomly jump or slow down to a crawl without warning...

I never managed to end the first mission of this game. It's mainly because of the control interface. How someone can expect a player to go thru 30 missions with such an aggravating control interface is way beyond me. Way beyond me.

I rated the game a 1 and wish I won't touch it again even with a 30 feet long pole.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
BranjoHello
Skilled WormMaster

It was a great pleasure reviewing this game, one of my favorites for sure!

@Everyone that would like to play the game
You should play with DosBox, in XP the game is a bit quicker(which is not good) and has less sound and music(or even none of it).

@Eagle on Fire
Your system of rating a game is the stupidest I have ever heard!
As I sad the controls are little tricky until you get in shape with it, which is like after first half hour, so if you have given the game a chance and actualy played it before "throwing it in fire" you wouldn't be saying this rubish at the end of your post!
No offence!

@Luchsen
This is a Strategy game not Puzzle, fix that!

Last edited by BranjoHello; 12-02-2008 at 12:05 PM.
BranjoHello is offline                         Send a private message to BranjoHello
Old 12-02-2008, 02:57 PM   #4
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I played way more than half an hour BranjoHello. Also, I probably played all the strategy games here on Abandonia, and that's my genre niche. I'm not going to change my oppinion about this game.

It's like Ascendancy. Great game, but the AI suck. Diggers is also a great game, but the controls suck. Big time. Which lead me to vote 1, for I have no fun to get in that game.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:35 PM   #5
DonCorleone
Hero Gamer

I don't know the game. What was written in the review sounds quite good. But I don't think that I will play it, though. Graphics don't let me conlude that this game is much sophisticated. That is just my association with this sort of graphics. And that might be wrong and biased. However...

Another question: why are there people that rate games with 5.0? 5.0 means to me that the game is perfect. And I doubt that there will evr be a game with characteristics that make it perfect. Why not giving a 4.5 or something? No offense, but I think using the rating system that way doesn't acknowledge its whole potential...
DonCorleone is offline                         Send a private message to DonCorleone
Old 12-02-2008, 08:27 PM   #6
BranjoHello
Skilled WormMaster

I think that DonCorleone is right about the rating system, everyone(Reviewers) give marks (1,2,3,4,5) so I did the same if I had a precise choise it would be 4.8(It closer to 5 than to 4 )!

@Eagle on Fire and anyone that would do something so anti-nice like giving this beautifull game "1"

I'm not saying that everyone should like this game as much as I do and give it 5, but it is stupid to give good game 1 because it's control system "sucks"(3 is more realistic mark ). To me the most important thing in a game(particulary in oldies) is it's atmosphere, and you said yourself that this game is "incedibly interesting" which so very true!
Example: I hate Half-Life 2...but I can't give it 1% because it wouldn't be true...and I can't say that I was sooo bored by the game so 70% would be fair from me because of the gravity gun(although zilion of gamers out there would give it 100% ).
I think I made my point!

BranjoHello is offline                         Send a private message to BranjoHello
Old 13-02-2008, 12:22 AM   #7
DonCorleone
Hero Gamer

Well, I didn't rate the game with "1"
And I even thought that reviewers HAVE the possibility of rating 4.5 or something similar. So it's a lack in the rating system. But then there's still the question why not giving a 4 rather than a 5? A 4 would make it clear that the game is better than average... Well, but this isn't that important
DonCorleone is offline                         Send a private message to DonCorleone
Old 13-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #8
rsdworker
Abandonia nerd

i remembered when i was child - i had game on old computer - acorn computer before PC so i loved this game
rsdworker is offline                         Send a private message to rsdworker
Old 15-02-2008, 03:55 AM   #9
QuadrAlien

I'd truly like to rate this game higher, I really would - I quite like the whole tactical mining game setup. But the interface to me is beyond "poor" on to "utterly game-destroying"...

The 5-man team would be useful given the mouse-based "tell a unit to go off and do... something or other for the glory of [insert race here]", but the fact that the mouse controls are so unwieldy means that by the time you've given two of your men orders, the other three have already decided to get bored and wander suicidally into some manner of danger... I'd not normally mind, as I've managed to complete Lemmings 2, but at least the Lemmings had predictable behaviour for where they'd wander off to, rather than "Ooh, I'm bored, let's do... something or other counter-intuitive...".

Fortunately, I've also played Extractors, the sequel to this, which sorts some of the problems out by giving keyboard controls, allowing this game's orders to be tapped out in under a second each (even if it doesn't explain what's going on very well...). However, to be absolutely fair, I'd have to recommend the Clonk series over either Diggers game.
QuadrAlien is offline                         Send a private message to QuadrAlien
Old 12-10-2008, 12:53 AM   #10
esgmaster
Super Freak

It's possible to get your miners to be less suicidal by having them "search" (magnifying glass), they will wonder for a while, but when they stop WATCH OUT. The AI in this game is somewhat similar to "Lego Rock Raiders" except they can be stopped.
esgmaster is offline                         Send a private message to esgmaster