Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-08-2006, 03:31 PM   #51

By 'Interplay titles' I referred to the games 'Lord of the Rings Volume 1' and 'Lord of the Rings Volume 2 -- Two Towers' from Interplay. Good old PC games! Personally I don't like the later ones from EA very much.

Old 14-08-2006, 10:58 AM   #52
Grand Dad
Game Wizzard

Hehehe wish I had the PC version. Ah well sometimes you miss the goodies
Grand Dad is offline                         Send a private message to Grand Dad
Old 15-08-2006, 02:58 PM   #53
Nobody

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Jul 31 2006, 09:56 AM) [snapback]246047[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
(except perhaps time)". However the string fails to appear due to an error in the script.

2) We'll never know unless someone asks the designer ... Again there is an unused string in the game, where you actually find Ned Bushdock's body somewhere on the Bree map. No idea in what location that string belongs. It implies that Ned was scared to death and someone comments that he was "the sturdiest hobbit in Bree".

[/b]
It's probably Rayf Brogan that's meant to say it, he is recruitable for no apparent reason after all. Is it another script error? Otherwise I might potter about around Bree for a bit with him in my party sometime.

There's also those four guys molesting the healer in Archet, I remmber once finding someone who said the healer was having trouble with men or something, can't find that anymore though.

!Durin word of power is indeed that pile of rocks near where you help the eagle.

I wish there was a #3

Old 15-08-2006, 03:28 PM   #54

Rayf: it's intentional that you can recruit him. Why? No idea.

Missing #3, yes it's sad. But, someone could mod #1 (game script, map, ...)

Old 16-08-2006, 12:01 PM   #55
Nobody

No I meant is the string where you find neds body a script error? I'm guessing what was meant to happen is you recruit rayf and wander around a bit and eventually find ned somewhere.

Old 16-08-2006, 03:56 PM   #56

Ah, OK. No, with the barrows, the string is in the script, but that particular part of the script doesn't work. But the string about Ned simply wasn't used. There are quite a few unused strings in the game, particularly on the Barrow Downs map. You can often tell where they were meant to be used from context and from Paul Jaquay's design draft (http://www.jaquays.com/paul/lordoftherings.htm). I don't know though where the string about Ned was supposed to appear (except that it must be somewhere on the Bree map).

Old 16-08-2006, 06:33 PM   #57
Grand Dad
Game Wizzard

:w00t: Got the first one now will have to play it to discuss anything about it. Busy reading the manual!
Grand Dad is offline                         Send a private message to Grand Dad
Old 16-08-2006, 08:04 PM   #58
Tito Daka

I have the game from the Interplay 10 Year Anniversary CD-ROM that was released a few years back.

However, I've tried downloading Volume II: The Two Towers from various different abandonware sites. The game works, but as soon as you start playing (as Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli), the character animations glitch up and turn into a bunch of scattered pixels. The game works if you change video drivers, but a lot of the vibrant colors are lost. Does anybody know how to fix this? I've tried replacing various files in Volume II from my working copy of Volume I, but I don't understand which ones to replace, and as such have not been able to make The Two Towers run well. I hate to say it, but I probably won't bother to play it if every character looks like a glitch in the graphics.

Help!

Old 17-08-2006, 02:28 PM   #59
Nobody

I had that problem, but only when windows updates decided to activate over the top of the game. I'm no techie, but i'm guessing its a memory issue as overall #2 is much more stable than #1 and that's about the worst problem I had even when running from a windowed msdos.

Are you using dosbox?

Old 18-08-2006, 04:41 PM   #60
Tito Daka

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nobody @ Aug 17 2006, 02:28 PM) [snapback]249229[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Are you using dosbox?
[/b]
Yeah, I'm running it from DosBox. Should I try something else?