Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-06-2006, 09:49 PM   #1
Authorman

I know this game isn't even remotely abandoned, but this is the only site I could think of to post at and get a solution. When I launch the installer (original legit cd), it goes through half of the install shield and then gives this error message:

Setup requires _SETUP.DLL and _ISRES.DLL (located in _SETUP.LIB) in order to operate properly. Please ensure these files are located with SETUP.EXE

I run winxp with perfectly adequate hardware to run games like CoD2 and the like, so it isn't that I'm underpowered. I've tried running the installer from the autolaunch and from setup.exe, no luck. I've tried to run the syscheck.exe in the same folder, but it crashes after reading a CPU output of 0 (WTF?). This is the first time I've tried to install it on this pc.

I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks,
Authorman
Authorman is offline                         Send a private message to Authorman
Old 02-06-2006, 11:02 PM   #2
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

L o l

QUOTE(Authorman @ Jun 2 2006, 09:49 PM) [snapback]233947[/snapback]
Old 05-06-2006, 04:04 PM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I don't see what is so funny. Typing phrases right into Google doesn't always work, so it's not surprising he didn't think of that.

Also, this error message would have me checking for disc damage / drive malfunction rather then software problems.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 05-06-2006, 09:44 PM   #4
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

i didn't say that typing phrases always works but he didn't probably try and EVEN the whole phrase he wrote gave the first good result
Old 06-06-2006, 07:22 PM   #5
Authorman

I assume by first result you mean this one which doesn't apply in my circumstance because the installshield won't even open past 46%. I'm still stumped, but here's what I've tried so far:

1. Clearing out windows/temp - No effect
2. Copying the CD to the hard drive and then running install - No effect
3. Copying _SETUP.LIB to install folder - No effect
4. Trying all four compatibility mode settings (Win95, Win98/Me, WinNT4.0, Win2000) with setup.exe - No effect

Also here's some more info, if it is helpful. My operating system is XP Home Service Pack 1, my cpu is Athlon XP2400+ at 1.99GHz with 512MB RAM.

Finally, I noticed running over the files in the install directory there is no _ISRES.DLL, however I figured by the error message it was in _SETUP.LIB.

Authorman
Authorman is offline                         Send a private message to Authorman
Old 07-06-2006, 02:13 PM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Try getting an extra hard drive and install Windows 98 on it. See if the game will run on that.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman