Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Your Reviews
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-04-2009, 05:31 AM   #21
ianfreddie07
wat

I thought you'd be coming at me with guns blazing.

Anyway, you are right on playing games the way they're intended. I would guess that Pigggy based the review on how he played the game he thinks the way it's intended to be played.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:39 AM   #22
red_avatar
Administrator

I knew before I read the review that Blood Piggy was going to slam it. He's very similar to russ in how he views games.

Anyway: the 'review' of BP is crap. It's a huge pile of mental masturbation, is way too long, totally unbalanced, is *extremely* subjective and exaggerates facts constantly to make his point. It's the typical kind of anti-fanboy review I tend to ignore because of its extreme view and those are rarely helpful except to those that agree. It misleads rather than guides people.

His entire review can be summed up in one line: Planescape has crappy gameplay which is an excuse to tell the story. Tadaa. Not that I agree, but that's really what those heaps of text are trying to say.

In any case, for many people, a good story is what pushes the game onwards. The main reason I give up on games, is the lack of a proper story and even a mediocre game will make me complete it if the stories interests me. Only with the very best games, a story is optional.

Personally, I prefer a game with an amazing story and good combat over a game with amazing combat and no or a pathetic story. Even games with amazing combat tend to make me think "well, what's the point?" after a while. For example: I loved Wing Commander Prophecy when I first played it, because the story was cleverly made to draw you in. The actual space combat was less than amazing but I still completed the game.

About Planescape: loved it and although I can see some of Blood Piggy's points, I think he's wrong, rating it based on what HE believes an RPG should be like instead of reviewing it on its own merits. Nothing worse than people bitching about a game because they wanted it to be something else, like the idiots that threw crap at Thief because you were weak in combat >_<. Planescape was ALWAYS supposed to be a story-rich RPG.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 11-06-2009, 07:35 AM   #23
Wolf Thug
Super Freak

Lame Game , Its like walking the plank, You just walk till you reach the end and fall into a sea of lameness.
Wolf Thug is offline                         Send a private message to Wolf Thug
Old 11-06-2009, 08:37 AM   #24
Frankie
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Thug View Post
Lame Game , Its like walking the plank, You just walk till you reach the end and fall into a sea of lameness.
...where you, the lame shark is hunting for the prey. Where did this elaborate metaphor came from? -_-
Old 11-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #25
Wolf Thug
Super Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
...where you, the lame shark is hunting for the prey. Where did this elaborate metaphor came from? -_-
Huh !Your english is poor "the lame shark is hunting for the prey"??
Wolf Thug is offline                         Send a private message to Wolf Thug
Old 11-06-2009, 10:44 AM   #26
Nick
Переводчик помаленьку

Send a message via ICQ to Nick Send a message via Skype™ to Nick

Nice stuff, Worth playing for sure. Although for me it was a bit sad that there weren't many factions to choose for joining. Only certain amount of many. Great setting anyway.

Nick is offline                         Send a private message to Nick
Old 11-06-2009, 11:04 AM   #27
Wolf Thug
Super Freak

It was a nice game tbh but Linear RPG = Lame.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:59 AM   #28
angry axe
O for Awesome

i thought this said runescape..... YOU TRICKED ME but seriously, if this game is linear like you say it must be extremely GAY
"war has changed. its no longer about nations ideologies or ethnicity, its an endless series of proxy battles fought by mercenaries and machines. War, and its consumption of life - has become a well oiled machine" - Solid Snake
angry axe is offline                         Send a private message to angry axe
Old 12-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #29
Simoneer
Priest of The Order

Do you really need to use "gay" as a synonym for bad that way?

Way to insult people.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:08 PM   #30
cnquist
Forum hobbit

Wow. I just read the review and none of the comments but I can say this was refreshing. It was good to hear a negative review on this game. I will say it didn;t change my opinion as this is one of my favorite games that I never beat. I think you are right that this game loses the feel of old classic RPG games with bare-bones for the story, however it feels a little more like a classic table-top RPG with a really good DM who can make up are really good and immersive story. Granted he isn't that good of an DM because he isn't very good at balancing combat. It was a joy to play and I sometimes go back and play it a different way just to see if I can find new things. I usually do. I think it is telling though that I never can finish the game and the reason is the combat just isn't very good. On that same not I can't finish other RPGs because the story and characters aren't any good. I guess it needs to find that happy middle ground. In my opinion many more games fall short in making a good story than in making combat fun. Overall it was good to read an extremely critical review on a game I usually praise highly.
cnquist is offline                         Send a private message to cnquist