Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #151
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnyKey View Post
Thanks, found them. They don't seem to be really necessary. An ancient vampire soul give 1000 EP, just as much as "damage from holy places". I just gave my gear "damage from holy places" 4/5 times instead.
Some are more useful than others, like for example the soul of Earth Atronach which gives a non-stackable (with other items with same property) protection of +3 to every body spot on one item AND additional weight, add Feather Weight option before adding that soul and reduced weight of Feather Weight remains. The souls of Elder Daedra (don't remember if the name is correct) also give a huge bonus, 2500 I think but also a number of negative effects like damage in holy places.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 30-01-2011, 10:35 PM   #152
TheAnyKey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
Some are more useful than others, like for example the soul of Earth Atronach which gives a non-stackable (with other items with same property) protection of +3 to every body spot on one item AND additional weight, add Feather Weight option before adding that soul and reduced weight of Feather Weight remains. The souls of Elder Daedra (don't remember if the name is correct) also give a huge bonus, 2500 I think but also a number of negative effects like damage in holy places.
Enchanting items can make the PC completely overpowered anyway, imo.

I am level 22 with 789 hitpoints, 250% hth, 250% critical strike, 250% dodging, etc...

You can easily ruin the game balance with the item maker.
TheAnyKey is offline                         Send a private message to TheAnyKey
Old 21-03-2011, 07:35 PM   #153
Guest13
Default Daggerfall

When I downloaded this game last year it took you to a different website where you were able to download. Now it's right here on Abandonia. The website I was taken to had detailed instructions on how to get Daggerfall working with a CD mount.

Now it looks like that website is gone. Someone here posted a link to instructions and all I get was a '404' message. When previously I was able to go there and follow the instructions. This CD Mount command I was using worked on another game that needed it.

Today I can't get anything to work and that is because I was stupid enough to lose the instructions to get Daggerfall to work. The other game I got to work (that I bought ages ago) fails to run also.

I find that the website no longer exists. Once I get some simple commands I'll be able to refresh my memory.

Old 21-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #154
Japo
Autonomous human

Hi Guest13, good news:

- There game is now far easier to run than with the original instructions. Just read the download and review webpage under

- The original instructions are still available as an extra download at the top of the same webpage. But really they're unnecessarily complicated. Here they are:
http://www.abandonia.com/files/extra...l%20extras.zip
Old 19-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #155
alcaray3

Did your archive change? Seems like it's messed up. There are a ton of files missing from your \arena2 directory compared to the \arena2 directory on the iso. Also, I'm having missing file issues when I play (113's). Coincidence? Yes, I do understand that occasional 113's are normal for this game, but for me they start as soon as I get out of the starter dungeon and receive a message in my pack that's supposed to warn me that I have lycanthropy.

That's another wierd thing: I've restarted with new characters 3 times now, and ***every time*** I've gotten the lycanthropy quest as soon as the first time I hit "W" to go to daggerfall. This last start I gave myself disease resistance and was careful with my fights (and save/restores) so that I took not one single point of damage from any bat, rat, bear, skel, human, imp, nor that lonely orc. Where am I picking this disease up from???

The last wierd thing is that I get the 113's when I click in my inventory to read the message telling me that I have lycanthropy. You might well ask how I know what the message says, if it crashes the game when I click it. Well, it turns out that if I restore and try it again about 10 times, one of those times will let me read the message. Which seems like another impossibility to me: I mean if the file is there for me to see, ever, then it should always be there. And if I find it once, it shouldn't disappear (and then come back once in a while).

And yess, I did try the fixsave program which is supposed to help with some of the 113s. No joy.

I'm tempted to copy the arena directory from the iso over the one created by your archive, to replace the missing files. But you warn me that the iso is an unpatched version. Not sure how to procede.
alcaray3 is offline                         Send a private message to alcaray3
Old 20-06-2011, 12:26 AM   #156
Japo
Autonomous human

Did you follow in the instructions below the review?

It's normal that there are tons of files on the CD not on the HD, the installation is minimal, and everything else would be duplicated (since the CD is already in an image file on the HD).

Better than copying files by hand, you can try erasing and re-installing from the CD (ISO). You can then patch it to the latest version by downloading the "extras from the Bethesda release" (link at the top of the review, to the right of the main download link) and running the patcher in it.
Old 20-06-2011, 05:24 AM   #157
alcaray3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
Did you follow in the instructions below the review?
To the extent that I could, I did. Drag&drop did not work for me because it does a:
"mount c "c:\users\danny\desktop",

which does not make any sense, and does not work. I'm not sure where the shortcuts have to be and/or where dosbox has to be to make it work. Instead, I:

1. manually launch dosbox,
2. "mount c c:\dagger",
3. "c:", and
4. "dosbox".

I think this is equivalent to what your drag&drop accomplishes when it works. If not, let me know.

Quote:
It's normal that there are tons of files on the CD not on the HD, the installation is minimal, and everything else would be duplicated (since the CD is already in an image file on the HD).
Maybe, not sure. Some games do it one way, some another. However, if it works the way that you think, then perhaps the files inc:\dagger\arena2 are only the ones modified by the patch. And the game uses these in preference to the ones on the image. If so, then it would be safe to copy the files over from the iso, prividing I do *not* replace duplicates.

Quote:
Better than copying files by hand, you can try erasing and re-installing from the CD (ISO). You can then patch it to the latest version by downloading the "extras from the Bethesda release" (link at the top of the review, to the right of the main download link) and running the patcher in it.
Yes and no. I have a distant memory of sweating bullets trying to get this to work, while doing the installation from the CD. Likewise, there are plenty of people here and elsewhere complaining that it is hard. I hate to abandon an implementation that works.
alcaray3 is offline                         Send a private message to alcaray3
Old 20-06-2011, 06:16 AM   #158
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Main problem with installing DF from CD is issue in DOSBox itself: it cannot recognize label of disc, so if you made "clean" install, it will say "no CD". But as this issue can be avoided with no-cd install, well, I cannot remember anything else. Simply made "full install", apply patch (still with "CD" in DOSBox), made game no-cd, and play! At least, it worked for my my last three installs of it.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 20-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #159
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Main problem with installing DF from CD is issue in DOSBox itself: it cannot recognize label of disc, so if you made "clean" install, it will say "no CD"....
I never had such problem...
zirkoni is offline                         Send a private message to zirkoni
Old 20-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #160
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOSBox Manual

-label drivelabel
Sets the name of the drive to "drivelabel". Needed on some systems if the CD-ROM label isn't read correctly (useful when a program can't find its CD-ROM). If you don't specify a label and no lowlevel support is selected (that is omitting the -usecd # and/or -aspi parameters, or specifying -noioctl):
For Windows: label is extracted from "Real Drive".
For Linux: label is set to NO_LABEL.

If you do specify a label, this label will be kept as long as the drive is mounted. It will not be updated !!