Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #131
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

Seems a false positive to me, happens with old games. Maybe it's a crack or similar. I've scanned it using Avira and nothing has been revealed. Maybe other will tell you more.
Old 23-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #132
JonasTheTolerated

Thanks, Dave. It is entirely possible that it might just have been a crack or something, but the name of the infected file makes it sound like it was an adventure pack - whatever Malwarebytes didn't like, it was in an executable file, and that worries me.

Can anyone offer any more insight? I'd really appreciate a few more opinions and thoughts about this before I make the decision about what to tell people about this download.
JonasTheTolerated is offline                         Send a private message to JonasTheTolerated
Old 23-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #133
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

This .exe setup file is (from what I know at least, all the copyrights and the like are there to see when you run the install.) the one provided by Bethesda, I got it from a different source after the Bethesda site took down from the page it was on (the site I got it from was the one Reloaded linked to I think).

Microsoft Security Essentials sees nothing wrong in it at all. It is possible someone hacked it and put a virus in it, but I doubt it for now. We are talking about this in the updaters forum at the moment.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 23-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #134
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Allegedly, the file is an editor meant to change the view distance setting in your saved games.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 23-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #135
Jironobou
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via Skype™ to Jironobou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasTheTolerated View Post
Wonderful game, just like I remember it. I don't know if this has been brought up before, because I didn't read the whole thread (sorry ), but after full installation my malware scanner picked up and removed a piece of spyware. The infected file was called "eyeofargonia.exe". I doubt it was a false positive, since the game seems to be running just fine without the file. Has anyone else run into this and can explain it, or can we see about getting this file removed from the download somehow? With the upcoming new ES release, it's possible and even likely that the number of downloads of this game will increase, and this infection could spread that way, if it's a positive.
The eye of Argonia is just an extra patch that is used to increase the detail level beyond Daggerfall's Max setting. It actually relatively likely that it was a false positive.
Jironobou is offline                         Send a private message to Jironobou
Old 24-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #136
JonasTheTolerated

Thanks everyone. Sounds like it's getting more and more likely that it picked up a false positive, but better safe than sorry. DarthHelmet86, please let me know what you come up with over in the UL forum.
JonasTheTolerated is offline                         Send a private message to JonasTheTolerated
Old 24-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #137
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

UL forum? Do you mean the Updaters Forum. If so we have found that this is a repackaged version of Daggerfall to include some fan made patches (all clean and such but not the orginal being hosted by Bethesda). One of our members is creating a preinstalled version of the Beth version to host when we can.

To be clear, the version we have is virus free, but isn't the orginal version but a repackaged one to include some Mod/patches. A new preinstalled version will be up soon.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 24-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #138
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

you mean a new version without the additional good stuff like the patches and mods? why'd you do that? o_O
Old 24-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #139
Japo
Autonomous human

For archival purposes?
Old 25-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #140
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

..i thought having the originals plus all the extra goodies was a good thing. it's not like it were a 1:1 clone cd image anyways. seriously, why remove it?