Old 29-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #41
Capo
Unconventional member

Oblivion without mod is totally crap.

Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo
Old 29-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #42
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

I dont remember getting any errors with MCA, but then again I did download some headpacks myself.

As for other mod suggestions, get Better Bodies which makes the characters look bit more appealing. Get also better clothes and better heads and they'll stop looking like blocks.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 29-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #43
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
In Daggerfall spells cost less and less points the higher you train the respective magic school skill.
I know, that's why I spent weeks inside the fighters guild (free lodging) training until the cost of recall went below my spell points. When I finally came out of the building I received two delayed letters from Lady Brisienna: in the second one she was angry and called me traitor if I shouldn't appear immediately. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoga View Post
In Daggerfall spells problem was easy solved.
Collect money, go and buy all spells you want. I had about 30 spells.
You should never buy spells in Daggerfall, but make them at the spell maker. Either they'll be cheaper (like recall, which is free), or will have lower cost in spell points for the same effect. And of course you can customize power, duration, etc., and combine different effects (e.g. shield+resist+... in a single spell). The exception is when a mages guild quest is all about casting a particular spell, then it has to be from the "Circinate".

Quote:
Sadly i can not remember about presence of Levitate spell??
There was a levitate spell, as well as the spell effect at the maker, potions and magic objects of levitation.

Quote:
There was a message i hated much:
--You can not rest. Enemies nearby.--
Really i have no problems with the enemies.
Haha but they do have problems with you, that's why they're called enemies.
Old 29-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #44
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
Daggerfall has a great wow factor (for people who didn't play later TES games before it) because of the free roaming in a virtual world, and I can't imagine how much it had when it came out. But it looks unfinished in parts, and the dungeons can be a deal breaker.
Yup, dungeon crawling can get annoying, especially when you have explored most of the dungeon and not yet found a quest object. It gets very hard to locate undiscovered areas as the map becomes clamped with explored areas, and hard to navigate. There's also this thing that when you start, you can easily tell which directions are unexplored, and with a mostly-explored dungeon you can mistake a section that is not displayed due to being too far from your current POV in map mode for an unexplored area, and dash there for massive disappointment.

Luckily there are only few quest-relevant points in a dungeon, which can be memorized more or less easily.

I also find it somewhat weird that a dungeon in Daggerfall will be reset after you leave it, giving way to potential almost-cheating by looting the same dungeon over and over again until boredom ensues.

I've also had quite some trouble with swimming with non-magic-users. It seems that swimming without proper magic is problematic, unless you're Argonian at least. It's like with lighting, where you can have a spell that illuminates the area around you, but buying torches and lamps is just useless. I'm confident that useful items like workable torches and lamps (dunno about a medieval fantasy scuba gear though? ) would have helped differentiate playing styles of magic and non-magic classes even further.
Old 29-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #45
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Wait, the candles, torches and lanterns actually work? I never realized that!
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 30-05-2012, 05:56 AM   #46
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChosen View Post
Yup, the daggerfall (and Future Shock/Skynet) engine had real time lighting, so the light sources do work.
Old 30-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #47
Japo
Autonomous human

I've started a new game in Morrowind, and these are the mods that I've picked, and eventually managed to make work:

- Executor Zurg's Merchant Money Mod. It multiplies by 10 every merchant's money. I honestly couldn't deal with unrealistically deadbeat merchants anymore, or with traveling to Caldera every time to see the Creeper, who's a cheat, and is even also (relatively less) a deadbeat.

- Passive Healthy Widlife. Stupid animals who should run from you don't attack you, like they stupidly and annoyingly do in the original game.

- Morrowind Comes Alive. It's nice to see some random people who don't stay in the same spopt of the same town during their whole life. But it doesn't solve how unrealistically small towns look. Not even how deserted they look, it adds very few people. Still it's something. I've enabled the optional addons: the one for the "Clothiers of Vvanderfell" mod (see below), "More Enemies", and "Guard Patch".

- Westley's Master Headpack X. I don't really care a lot about graphics, but I did regret the so little choice of faces and hairs during character creation. That's the main reason I wanted this.

- Clothiers of Vvanderfell v1.1. I found this because "Morrowind Comes Alive" has an optional addon for it. One of the things it means is that not all women are dressed like nuns, which much to Redoran House's chagrin, is going to happen. It adds some variety, and much like "Better Bodies" and the Heads mods, the meshes have higher resolution and look less blocky. Actually "Better Bodies" is useless if the clothes are the original ones...

- Better Bodies: Since I don't care a lot about graphics I didn't look for this at first. But the clothes in "Clothiers of Vvanderfell" were made for it, and interferred with the original bodies, causing polygonal holes to appear.

- Pegas Horse Ranch v3.1. For horse riding. I've seen a YouTube video and the ranch itself is a little cheesy, it has an elevator.

- Guars. For guar riding.

- Cait's Critters Unleashed 2.0. For farm animals.

- Birdies by Cait and Leeloo. For hi-res birds, although I haven't seen any yet...

I'll report if I have problems with these.

Last edited by Japo; 30-05-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 31-05-2012, 11:32 PM   #48
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChosen View Post
They don't, to the best of my knowledge, and this is why I find it annoying. They could be implemented with the dynamic lighting thing, similar to the "Light" spell, but for some reason they weren't.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #49
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

I never played Oblivion with any mods and never found it to be crap. In fact I often enjoy it more then Morrowind. But hey everyone is allowed an opinion and if you don't like it that is up to you.

I try and not play any of them with Mods at first and to return to a plain game whenever I can. And normally only use cosmetic mods or UI mods. I do want to make myself a nice house in Skyrim soon, just to have a home away from home that feels like mine.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 01-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #50
Capo
Unconventional member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthHelmet86 View Post
I never played Oblivion with any mods and never found it to be crap. In fact I often enjoy it more then Morrowind. But hey everyone is allowed an opinion and if you don't like it that is up to you.
Is crap for a hundred of reason, the first one is how the monster level works, in the vanilla oblivion you can became champion of the arena at level 5 and complete the game at level 10, is really a noob game.

Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo