Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-11-2005, 03:21 AM   #11
Nikson
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by SupSuper@Nov 5 2005, 03:23 AM
Fragmentation? Pfft. My system is 99% fragmented and it runs without a hitch. Plus, it takes weeks to defragment <_<
I seriously doubt that. :blink:
Nikson is offline                         Send a private message to Nikson
Old 05-11-2005, 03:00 PM   #12
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I suggest using Perfect Disk defragmentation program, it works very efficiently.
Also, find a registry cleaner software which has the ability to defragment your registry. I used something called Advanced Registry Optimizer and it fixed the "hopeless" slowdown for good.

PS. Does any of you know... what is going on when before the system load splash screen a black screen pops up with a blinking cursor? This lasts for a couple of seconds, but I am curious if there is a way to get rid of it.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 06-11-2005, 12:33 PM   #13
chickenman
Hero Gamer

You don't have any of these problems with Linux :P
chickenman is offline                         Send a private message to chickenman
Old 06-11-2005, 12:44 PM   #14
Nikson
Game Wizzard

You also can't play most games with Linux

Quote:
PS. Does any of you know... what is going on when before the system load splash screen a black screen pops up with a blinking cursor? This lasts for a couple of seconds, but I am curious if there is a way to get rid of it.
It's the console prompt. You can't get rid of it. If you push escape after the splash screen appears, you'll go back to the blinking cursor. Most likely a whole bunch of hardware stats will run across the screen.
The only reason the splash screen exists, is to hide all the boot-up data from users who dont understand/care about it.
Nikson is offline                         Send a private message to Nikson
Old 18-11-2005, 10:23 PM   #15
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally posted by SupSuper@Nov 4 2005, 05:23 PM

Keeping startup programs to a minimium and free space to a maximium is a must. You can easily use 'msconfig' to check what runs and what doesn't. If you break something just go into Safe Mode and put it back :P
msconfig sux, if u want to make "manual" registry, startup cleaning do this:

-run regedit, and search for expression(its "key")- RunOnce (if you search for Run, it will find looots of another "runs")
-in directory list on the left side look in to keys Run, RunOnce, RunServices, RunOnceEx
-repeat search few times, 'coz there are more "runs" in registry
-most important is run.. and delete all the stuff u don't want to run on startup,
important thing -don't delete some "runs" which uses used programs-not like those ones which are dead links to non existing files or programs and services you don't want to run
for example the only system svc in my run is NvCplDaemon and NvMediaCenter,
and its not windows system svc, its just nvidia drivers (iam a bit comercial)
if you are afraid you will crash your system-don't worry, becouse any of windows important system svc isn't there, if you are still afraid then make regisstry backup(export registry)
hehe, my presonall experience- all the windowsASN services are troyans/spywares
all in all the hidden .EXE files in your system32 directory are spywares and troyans!
...uff