Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-03-2005, 03:33 PM   #61
Gorgon

This game is immense! The variety of spells and monsters is awesome! It's really different game if you change the difficulty level you know.

Old 05-03-2005, 04:19 PM   #62
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Detah @ Mar 4 2005, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by caesar007@Mar 2 2005, 10:14 PM
doombolts seem good for defense behind a wall , paladins can't attack them so if you place the doombolt where the opening in the wall is you are safe against certain attackers as long as no ranged attacks of course , but stagbeetles will destroy them and doombolts kind of suck if they attack , just my experience
Do you mean Warlocks? 'Doombolt' is not a unit; it is an attack. The Dark Elves' Warlocks have an attack called Doom Bolt. This is the same as the Chaos spell called, Doom Bolt.

In any case, I am not so sure that Warlocks make the best City defenders (or even good city defenders). Warlocks melee attack got nerfed in v1.2, ATT=1! You should definitely use something meatier to defend your cities. Just about every unit in the game is meatier than Warlocks, so you have alot to choose from. But if you absolutely must have a magic ranged attacker as a city defender, go with the High Men Magicians. They are the best ranged magic attack normal unit in the game. They also have 6 figures, so its not only a better magic ranged attack, but they are also a bit heartier.

Warlocks are still a great unit. They have the second best magic ranged attack RA=8.4 (second only to the Hgh Men Magicians RA=9.0). And on the first turn they can cast their Doom Bolt spell, for a guaranteed automatic 10 damage. I think the best use for Warlocks is as City siege units. They have Missile Immunity, so they have very little to fear from Bows and they have 4 DEF and 9 RES so they have above average defense against magical attacks. If you can give them Magic Immunity, Invisibility, Elemental Armor, Invulnerability or Lionheart, that would make them the ultimate city siege unit.
Doombolt is probably best attack in the game.If you have 6 warlocks you can cast 6 doombolts on the first turn(10 damage,regadless of armor) or even 7 if you are chaos wizard.That will decimate a LOT of enemy troops.And then,they are STILL one of the best magical ranged units,so they wouldnt have many problems with survivors... :twisted:
They are definetly better than highmen magicans!

Last edited by arete; 27-10-2009 at 06:53 AM. Reason: html
Lizard is offline                         Send a private message to Lizard
Old 07-03-2005, 04:46 AM   #63
Hkizzle
Forum hobbit

When I played this game and I was about 12 it seemed like the most amazing game I ever played. But I think it lacks certain aspects late game.

Been playing this game on impossible. At the beginning, it is very hard. Start an early war with another Wizard and you are toast, and if you play with magic on powerful, the opposing Wizard can kill your heros at the beginning of the battles.

But I think as with games like Civilisation, it gets too easy once you have decent units. You can just send stacks of 9 Paladin/Turtle/Stag Beetles and they beat the crap out of any army. Any injured units you rotate with fresh units to allow them to heal.

Plus you don't have to kill every single city. Simply find what is usually the biggest city, destroy that and you've banished the enemy wizard. Along the way, many of the enemy units don't even try to stop you.

The most fun part is taking over nodes in Myrran, the monsters in some of these nodes are really difficult.
Hkizzle is offline                         Send a private message to Hkizzle
Old 07-03-2005, 04:51 AM   #64
Hkizzle
Forum hobbit

Having said that. I think this game will be the best game around for multiplayer. With the number of spells and units available, if you had human opponents to play against, it will generate days and days of fun.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:20 PM   #65
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Hkizzle@Mar 7 2005, 06:51 AM
Having said that. I think this game will be the best game around for multiplayer. With the number of spells and units available, if you had human opponents to play against, it will generate days and days of fun.
Yeah.But it look like noone want to play it at all.Dunno why :blink:
Old 08-03-2005, 04:45 PM   #66
caesar007
Forum hobbit

hey i still want to try multiplayer as soon as someone helps me with the issue of how to start a game and how the turns go and such ....

and about this doombolt , ok i been fighting against some unit called "doombolt" it looks like a bird i think , so not sure what you are talking about that it is a spell ...

and about the AI , i think the problem is not late game but midgame , once you start taking over cities from wizards they seem not able to reconquer them if you have enough defense in those cities and i have yet to see an attack against my capital in midgame ... but that's probably cause they don't use ships very well as far as i see they make 9 triremes and they are just sitting there doing nothing ... if the AI would use those triremes it would be a whole other story , would be suddenly alot tougher to win i think ...
caesar007 is offline                         Send a private message to caesar007
Old 08-03-2005, 05:21 PM   #67
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by caesar007@Mar 8 2005, 06:45 PM
hey i still want to try multiplayer as soon as someone helps me with the issue of how to start a game and how the turns go and such ....

and about this doombolt , ok i been fighting against some unit called "doombolt" it looks like a bird i think , so not sure what you are talking about that it is a spell ...

and about the AI , i think the problem is not late game but midgame , once you start taking over cities from wizards they seem not able to reconquer them if you have enough defense in those cities and i have yet to see an attack against my capital in midgame ... but that's probably cause they don't use ships very well as far as i see they make 9 triremes and they are just sitting there doing nothing ... if the AI would use those triremes it would be a whole other story , would be suddenly alot tougher to win i think ...
No No No.That unit was DoomBat.A crappy chaos monster.Doombolt is offensive spell that made 10 damge to each figure in the unit regadless of armor=dead unit(mostly )
Old 09-03-2005, 01:25 AM   #68
Hkizzle
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by caesar007@Mar 8 2005, 05:45 PM
midgame , once you start taking over cities from wizards they seem not able to reconquer them if you have enough defense in those cities and i have yet to see an attack against my capital in midgame ... but that's probably cause they don't use ships very well as far as i see they make 9 triremes and they are just sitting there doing nothing ... if the AI would use those triremes it would be a whole other story , would be suddenly alot tougher to win i think ...
Whether midgame or late game. Paladins are the most unbalanced units I've ever seen in a game. Stack of 4-5 can beat any army the computer has. Stack of 9 can be rotated so you basically do not lose a single unit in a battle.

I would love to play multiplayer with anyone here. How do we start? Also, bare in mind a multiplayer game will take days or weeks to complete.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:59 PM   #69
caesar007
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Hkizzle @ Mar 9 2005, 02:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by caesar007@Mar 8 2005, 05:45 PM
midgame , once you start taking over* cities from wizards they seem not able to reconquer them if you have enough defense in those cities and i have yet to see an attack against my capital in midgame ... but that's probably cause they don't use ships very well as far as i see they make 9 triremes and they are just sitting there doing nothing ... if the AI would use those triremes it would be a whole other story , would be suddenly alot tougher to win i think ...
Whether midgame or late game. Paladins are the most unbalanced units I've ever seen in a game. Stack of 4-5 can beat any army the computer has. Stack of 9 can be rotated so you basically do not lose a single unit in a battle.

I would love to play multiplayer with anyone here. How do we start? Also, bare in mind a multiplayer game will take days or weeks to complete.
you need to download the multiplayer from the underdogs site , the link is somewhere in this thread ... on page 3 or 4 i think .. , i have dled it but i am not sure how to start a game .... it seems quite complicated , but if you want to play then we have already 3 players , just need someone who can tell how it works LOL , maybe on the underdogs site there is more info or so will check ...

if you think you know how to start a multiplayer feel free to either pm me or put it in this thread

Last edited by arete; 27-10-2009 at 06:53 AM. Reason: html
caesar007 is offline                         Send a private message to caesar007
Old 09-03-2005, 02:08 PM   #70
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Hkizzle@Mar 9 2005, 02:25 AM

Try 8 halflings with +2 enchanted bullets, carried anywhere on the map by the Wind Mage. They can even take on and defeat a wyrm.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin