Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Default Three months of struggle

Since I finished university in summer, I've been jobless for about 3 months. I feel that it's time to reveal the source of my disappointment. I've been to many interviews and I sort of made a conclusion to the whole affair.

You see I finished the university as a chief of promotion for my specialty. I know a couple of foreign languages (Russian, English, French) and have decent computer skills (I'm familiar with a lot of stuff from Microsoft/Open Office to Adobe suite, and even a bit of SQL databases and programming). In short I should've been employed by now, especially since I accept low-tier jobs like warehouse worker.

But no, most likely the problem isn't in me. Most likely the main problem is the stupid Moldovan mentality of taking and giving bribes for every little issue. With me being a ducking paladin, the result is an incompatible couple (Moldovan employers - me). Until now I thought, that surely 1 out of 10 employers must not be corrupt and I've got a solid chance. The conclusion is no, that's wrong, it's 100%. The only jobs that don't require bribes are those that leave you crippled after 1 year of work, and with me already being a cripple, I can't say I've much of a chance there.

I must stop my story now, since the level of stupidity flooding the streets of Chisinau is slowly reaching my appartment. Thanks for listening.
Old 13-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

Sad. What if you jump onto the bandwagon of morally questionable crowds and bribe someone to get a job? Or why don't you move to another country?

Reverend Preacherbot: Wretched sinner unit! The path to Robot Heaven lies here, in the Good Book 3.0.
Bender: Hey. Do I preach at you when you're lying stoned in the gutter? No!
Tracker is offline                         Send a private message to Tracker
Old 13-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
Japo
Autonomous human

I would encourage you to move to another country (I just did) if you think the situation in yours is bad.
Old 13-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
Panthro
Man of Science

Since you know other languages, it might be worth looking at foreign companies.

I know how frustrating looking for a job is though, even without corruption to worry about.
Panthro is offline                         Send a private message to Panthro
Old 14-10-2012, 02:53 AM   #5
Pex
Game Wizzard

Yeah, that sucks. Situation in Serbia was similar when I finished uni. It wasn't so much bribing (though that was heavily involved as well), but who you knew (instead of what you knew). Funny enough, I was able to find job without any of that, but, as you would expect, the company turned out to be a bunch of crooks that weren't paying me regularly and didn't even register me for a few months.

But now I'm in Australia, so it's much better here. The company I worked in Serbia folded (probably to avoid law suits).

So, if you don't wanna bribe (or can't afford), or you don't know people that can help you, your prospects are not good. If you are lucky, you might get a job for a foreign company, which is a different kind of exploiting (they pay you like 1/5 of money they would pay the guy on the same job in their country, but that 1/5 is still better than what you can hope to get doing the same job in domestic company). But not many people have that kind of luck.

Or you can go to another country, which has other disadvantages.

What I hated is people telling me how things will get better one day and this situation can't last forever. Well, if you can give me some money so I can sit without a job and wait for that 'one day', that's would be great, but otherwise I need a job now.

Sorry, I turned your topic into my rant about something I shouldn't care for anymore. I guess some injustices are hard to forget and although they don't happen to me anymore, it's annoying to know they still happen.

Good luck!

Last edited by Pex; 14-10-2012 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Fixing minor typos
Pex is offline                         Send a private message to Pex
Old 14-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Nah, no problem. It's interesting to hear opinions from different perspectives.
Old 14-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Pex there said something. It's not what you know, it's who you know. This is indeed true here as well.
Old 14-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pex View Post
Yeah, that sucks. Situation in Serbia was similar when I finished uni. It wasn't so much bribing (though that was heavily involved as well), but who you knew (instead of what you knew). Funny enough, I was able to find job without any of that, but, as you would expect, the company turned out to be a bunch of crooks that weren't paying me regularly and didn't even register me for a few months.
Heh. It's a common belief that situation here, in Russia, is exactly the same. Bribes or friends or bad work. Funny enough, I accidentally get "right" work from first try - in the Goskomstat branch, as programmer - but that's all.

It seems, that there is simply no other work in my town that could satisfy me. %) All 15 years of trying it's always exactly like that: either all vacancies silently replaced with friends of friends, or you need to pay to get place, or it will be not paid enough. My organization seems only exclusion from the rule.

I am lucky, it seems!
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 16-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #9
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

3 months aren't that much...well, actually yes, if you need money.

I just suggest you to keep trying, don't give up.
Register to online job agencies and multiple databases, work on your CV and send it to all the possible candidates, write lot of mails of presentation.
Consider to move to another country or far away from your home, where there's more demand.

Corruption doesn't seem such a reality here, not at those levels I guess, but who you know is still more important of your skills, and sometimes the help of a friend is fundamental.
Old 17-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #10
BranjoHello
Skilled WormMaster

3 months is nothing. People can waste years in finding a job.
After I finished university it took me almost a whole years to find a job. Bribes, connections and all those things (that do exist and are common unfortunately) were a big "NO GO" for me, so I went to god only knows how many interviews and testings, mostly in cities cca. 50km from my home and in the end I found a job as substitute teacher in my hometown. When my contract was closing to an end I found a new job (logistics department in building materials company) in just 3 days, no bribes, no connections, nothing, I found the ad on internet and sent my CV to the company. To tell you the truth I still can't believed what happened, but I guess I was reworded for trying so hard the first time.

So my advices to all jobless guys and gals out there would be:
1. Keep on trying
2. Invest in some new skills (I didn't and feel sorry about that a bit)
3. Play a lot of video games, because you will not have many time for that when you finally get a job.

BranjoHello is offline                         Send a private message to BranjoHello