Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
stu2000

Default andom question... about films

abandonia is great for games, but I'm looking for a really rubbish film from like 1989 that I can't find to buy anywhere... why can't there be a legal download program for films that are no longer sold? lol just like you can add games on here once they are no longer sold (and not ESA protected)...

... humph :notrust:
stu2000 is offline                         Send a private message to stu2000
Old 22-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #2
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Well there is a site for classic movies that were abandoned and can be legally downloaded, but they're usually a bit older than 1989, and mostly lack color. If you're interested in such kind of movies, you can find them here - Link.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 22-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #3
stu2000

ooo great link there, and I'm sure more ppl will find that useful too, but yeah the film I'm after is not even close to a "classic" haha...
stu2000 is offline                         Send a private message to stu2000
Old 22-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

if you used torrents i would recommend you demoniod but we're not talking about torrent trackers in here so i won't
Old 23-07-2008, 02:17 AM   #5
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu2000 View Post
ooo great link there, and I'm sure more ppl will find that useful too, but yeah the film I'm after is not even close to a "classic" haha...
Some of them aren't exactly "classics," it's an archive of films which are no longer under copyright protection - of course, there are some amazing films there too

If you get the chance have a look at the film there called Panorama Ephemera, it was made by combining film that is usually ignored (things like government footage, corporate films etc.) it gives a surprising insight into modern culture and the way film is used (somewhat unintentionally) to reflect ourselves as a society.
Old 23-07-2008, 08:31 AM   #6
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
if you used torrents i would recommend you demoniod but we're not talking about torrent trackers in here so i won't
There are some quite recent movies that you can't find with Torrents either, like this one. It was even never released to DVD, only to VHS because it was seemingly not popular enough, and you can't find it virtually anywhere now though it actually isn't such a bad movie at all.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 23-07-2008, 09:23 AM   #7
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

There is also this site called Veoh, which also has a collection of "abandoned" movies. It's fairly safe, with staff members including big-shots of at least one major Hollywood movie company. The quality of the site and the software required for downloading however, is debatable. Still, I managed to get quite a few good ones according to my (lack of?) taste.
Old 23-07-2008, 09:46 AM   #8
Tulac
Union Leader

Veoh are asses, seeing that they blocked half of the world from accessing their site. :/

If you're into torrents you might want to check out http://www.cinemageddon.org/

They specialize in obscure/trash movies.

Last edited by Tulac; 23-07-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Tulac is offline                         Send a private message to Tulac
Old 23-07-2008, 10:00 AM   #9
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Quote:
Veoh are asses, seeing that they blocked half of the world from accessing their site. :/
They did? Ho-kay...? When? Why? I haven't used that site for about 9-12 months now and the only "serious" complain about not being allowed access came from people who got banned after uploading "no go" movies... Apparently they thought it was just another warez site and couldn't understand why they suddenly got banned or why the movies were deleted. But denying people access for what reason? What is that all about?

Last edited by Mighty Midget; 23-07-2008 at 10:06 AM.
Mighty Midget is offline                         Send a private message to Mighty Midget
Old 23-07-2008, 10:08 AM   #10
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

well yes they did block half a world from accessing their site, you can check the list for example here

they blocked "low quality countries" because it was "not good for their economics". but they are just bunch of lazy assholes who want to get richier and don't want to buy more servers and bandwidth for countries that were not as lucrative for their sponsors. so instead of more bandwidth for other users (or slower veoh) they rather buy themselves a new BMW (they get quite a cash from sponsors believe me!). well of course you can use proxies and many other methods (googleable) to access veoh but i would definitely not visit and support veoh in this

Last edited by _r.u.s.s.; 23-07-2008 at 10:21 AM.
_r.u.s.s. is offline                         Send a private message to _r.u.s.s.