Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-02-2008, 01:01 PM   #41
BranjoHello
Skilled WormMaster

I'm not a chessmaster but I like this game, it's pretty challenging for me and I would say my chess knowladge is about average.

I still prefer LIVE chess instead of electronic one, then my distraction skills can be of use!

BranjoHello is offline                         Send a private message to BranjoHello
Old 12-07-2017, 09:32 PM   #42
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Running this in DOSBox 0.74 and I'm having some issues with this game.

1) The savegame feature doesn't seem to work, giving a message that the game wasn't saved. Can someone who have successfully saved a game give step by step instructions on how to save?

2) When reverting to previous steps to review the line, quite often the message "can't put the king in check" appears when no check is happening. Other times the game freezes/crashes. Every time after multiple step-backs and replays of the moves reverting gives duplicate pieces or missing pieces randomly on the board.

3) A few times, the game simply stops responding out of the blue. Any ideas?
Old 12-07-2017, 10:56 PM   #43
tienkhoanguyen
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Midget View Post

1) The savegame feature doesn't seem to work, giving a message that the game wasn't saved. Can someone who have successfully saved a game give step by step instructions on how to save?

2) When reverting to previous steps to review the line, quite often the message "can't put the king in check" appears when no check is happening. Other times the game freezes/crashes. Every time after multiple step-backs and replays of the moves reverting gives duplicate pieces or missing pieces randomly on the board.

3) A few times, the game simply stops responding out of the blue. Any ideas?
Anwer to 2: I do not know what the situation was. However if you have what is called a "check" that means you are one step before taking over the country of the other King! That's all I know and it is an important step in chess.
tienkhoanguyen is offline                         Send a private message to tienkhoanguyen
Old 12-07-2017, 11:00 PM   #44
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Thanks. I know what a check and checkmate is I might be a terrible chess player but this I know. What I'm talking about are what very much seem like bugs in the game to me.

I'll give you an example from an actual game:
I open with pawn to e4, then black moves d5. I capture at d5 and black moves knight to f6. I revert to before the knight move to move the queen instead but gets the message "can't put the king in check". This is absurd as there is nothing to check the king at this point.
Old 13-07-2017, 01:01 AM   #45
tienkhoanguyen
[BANNED]

Quote:
Thanks. I know what a check and checkmate is I might be a terrible chess player but this I know. What I'm talking about are what very much seem like bugs in the game to me.

I'll give you an example from an actual game:
I open with pawn to e4, then black moves d5. I capture at d5 and black moves knight to f6. I revert to before the knight move to move the queen instead but gets the message "can't put the king in check". This is absurd as there is nothing to check the king at this point.
I see. Being a hobbyist programmer I often leave what I consider little details because the program takes so long to make. For instance I might not even know about the bug until someone plays the game so I need someone to tell me that something is wrong. However I have over one thousand discs with various revisions. I might never be able to solve the bug so I just leave it at the current best and glitch version! Only God is perfect so I do not know much more than that if any.
tienkhoanguyen is offline                         Send a private message to tienkhoanguyen
Old 13-07-2017, 08:55 AM   #46
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:

Tried. Worked.

1. File - Save game.
2. [Game dir opened as C for me]File name - any. (I used ASDF)
3. Game name - any (it's internal, not file name. I used aasdf, accidentally).
4. Ok.

Game saved with set file name and .glb extension.
Old 13-07-2017, 12:42 PM   #47
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Tried. Worked.

1. File - Save game.
2. [Game dir opened as C for me]File name - any. (I used ASDF)
3. Game name - any (it's internal, not file name. I used aasdf, accidentally).
4. Ok.

Game saved with set file name and .glb extension.
Unfortunately, that's not working here for some reason. I keep getting the message "the game could not be saved" :/
Old 16-07-2017, 03:12 AM   #48
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Question

Quote:
Unfortunately, that's not working here for some reason. I keep getting the message "the game could not be saved" :/
Hai Mighty Giant (not TheGiantMidgit nor Titan ).

I am not an expert like Emperor Japo(deis) and Spectre(man) . And I do not intend to be... Well, since Spectre(man)’s instruction did not solve your problem, I would have some suggestions:

• Does the game installed on your PC contain all the files? Nothing is missing?

• Are some of the game files corrupted?

01) The installation of the game (if it is by the installer) may be corrupted due to incompatibility with Operating System, AV engine, errors in Windows registry, etc...

02) Just to get an idea, after I installed Windows XP (I was pretty newbie at the time ), I installed several programs and guess what? Some of them got corrupted or the installations were not perfect.

03) I updated the Dropbox version by installing over the current one without uninstalling - guess what? The program did not start anymore and even the blessed Dropbox Support did not solve the problem! Neither the Registry Cleaner, Uninstallers, etc. solved the problem. So the problem was mysteriously solved out of blue. A tip for anyone using Dropbox. Let the program runs self-update and avoid headaches for you.

I cannot ensure that your issue will be resolved, but try to see if any of the files are missing or your AV engine is causing problems. And check into AV engine quarantine.

I would also suggest using a program that is to your liking like Ashampoo WinOptimizer, System Mechanic, TuneUp Utilities to look for errors in Windows Registry. Or try a free program with good evaluation and reviews on the site Softpedia.

Because for the game to be freezing indicates some problem of incompatibility with Operating System and / or Hardware, missing files, etc. I’ve already tried installing programs and Blue Screen of Death due to incompatibility with hardware (Windows XP at the time).

And it may be that your problem is solved out of blue and everything I’ve written may be merely a novel...
Mystvan is offline                         Send a private message to Mystvan
Old 18-07-2017, 02:56 PM   #49
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
I got Abandonia version, and used default parameters, so no fine-tune. Strange.

Is it possible that you use the same save file that was used earlier, and game cannot overwrite it? Or maybe you start game right from the archive, or from CD? Or in the somehow otherwise protected directory?
Old 18-07-2017, 04:35 PM   #50
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

I got the game from AB as well. Anway, seems like there are more problems with this game (or rather download) than I'm willing to spend time on. The most serious is a strong tendency to crash not only DOSBox but the entire computer when DOSBox goes down. Bobby Fischer Teacher Chess is working like a charm (even though the AI is attrocious) but I really like the option of human vs human player in GMC, which is not available in BFTC. I think I'm done with this one.

PS: I did manage to save a game (out of the blue that one) but loading the same game is not working, rendering the save game feature as useful as a car made of french fries.