Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-02-2009, 03:38 AM   #11
Doubler
Resident Llama

Send a message via MSN to Doubler

I think you'll find most things are already noted in this thread: slightly bugged, repetative, annoying respawn issues, weak storyline, lots of driving and the environments can be pretty tight. Voice acting's pretty bad too, although nowhere near Bethesda levels.

That said, it's not actually a bad game. Call it mediocre, but it does some things very well if you ignore some odd design choices.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:42 AM   #12
hibikir0984

Thanks, I guess I'll wait until it becomes a bargin bin item.
hibikir0984 is offline                         Send a private message to hibikir0984
Old 07-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #13
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

It can be inserted into the cathegory "love it or hate it".
I didn't like it at the beginning, but I'm having fun now
Old 21-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #14
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

For those interested I've found a way to pass the bug, save often and don't accept secondary missions for Ecchebi or the door at Mikes' bar won't open. It worked for me, you can finish the game.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #15
jg007
Super Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by David86 View Post
For those interested I've found a way to pass the bug, save often and don't accept secondary missions for Ecchebi or the door at Mikes' bar won't open. It worked for me, you can finish the game.
lol, I bought it but it it is in a long list of games to play so with any luck by the time I actually get round to playing it they will have patched the bugs.

I have only just finished Farcry 1 and by the time I started playing that it played really smoothly between the patches and my geforce 9600gt
jg007 is offline                         Send a private message to jg007
Old 05-05-2009, 07:10 AM   #16
Maxor127
Game Wizzard

I like it. It's not as good as Far Cry 1, but I like it better than Crysis. Of course they're all different types of games. It looks almost as good as Crysis and runs much better. It does get tedious, but I think it gets a lot better during the second act of the game. One complaint is the small selection of scoped assault rifles and only being able to carry certain tiers of weapons, so you have to be creative to get a good balance of weapons. But the game is really about as fun as you make it. You can be a bit creative in how you handle certain situations. Maybe not to the degree of Crysis, but it's still fun. Stealth isn't really an option in this game though since it's too easy to get spotted and they're good at hunting you down.
Maxor127 is offline                         Send a private message to Maxor127
Old 09-05-2009, 05:31 AM   #17
red_avatar
Administrator

I tried Farcry 2 when it was released. It's one of the few games I ever installed and uninstalled within the same afternoon.

Yes, it probably IS a love or hate relation but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get into it. I even bought it cheap with the intention to still give it a go it deserves and ended up uninstalling it again an hour or two later. There's just far too much that bugs me:

- when you look around, your mouse feels sluggish. It's too frustrating to aim because of this - when 10 year old games can get mouse aim down right to a T, then why can't a modern game? Oh wait, it's called "consolitis".

- malaria - yes, yes, you can take pills, but what total idiot thought it would be fun to add it to a game where it pops up at random times, often during combat? It's a nuisance and doesn't actually add anything to the game.

- the jungle is poorly designed - it's all too small-scale. I simply can't pretend to be a real jungle because of the poor design.

- dull and unconvincing atmosphere. When you drive through the region at the start, you see all kinds of interesting things. Well, treasure the moment because it's the last time you will.

- the jungle is totally empty except for mercs that see you from afar and open fire immediately. Realistic my ass.

- So called "checkpoints" that respawn every few minutes meaning that you constantly have to get out of your car, kill everyone, and then drive on. And no, you can't drive through - their cars are ALWAYS faster and will catch up with you. Cheap? Dirt cheap.

- cut & paste design. As if they hadn't ruined the game enough with the unconvincing map layout, they cut & paste all over the place. I've messed with the editor and it's no wonder - every bar is the same, every warehouse is the same, every weapon dealer is the same. And I do mean THE SAME. It's as if a building cloning experiment went wrong. Even the place you sleep is identical. It's so lazy and it kills the atmosphere stone dead.

- and now we come to the real problems: repetitive missions where you constantly have to do the same crap. Drive all over the map, perform mission, get back, rince & repeat. It's lazy, it's crap.

- stealth barely works. Yes I have heard all the excuses but if you take down an enemy with a silent weapon, no way should they be able to spot you through trees or bushes.

- the AI is a joke - I won't comment on it but let's just say their behaviour is unrealistic. Best part is when they aim to you right and actually hit you - and I do mean, aiming half a mile in the wrong direction. Do their bullets take a swift turn to the left when shot?

- there's no need to collect diamonds, really. You can get a sniping rifle very early on that let's you do one-hit kills.

- you can't pick up ANYTHING except diamonds. Ammo? Nope, you have to go to identikit warehouses for that. Want to switch weapons? Same. So why would you waste time killing enemies? Why indeed. There's no reward for it. They don't drop ammo, or weapons, or money or diamonds or ANYTHING. It feels like you're just wasting your time. As if it's not bad enough that these enemies respawn (which leads me to believe their girlfriends must be having sex like rabbits to repopulate the checkpoints - either that, or the building cloning experiment spread to humans as well), they also don't give you ANYTHING for your efforts.

So in the end, this is game that doesn't reward, that is poorly structured, that lacks any real atmosphere due to poor design decisions and which feels pointless . So yes, I'm definitely in the "hate" camp.

Oh, and burning trees and grass should smoke, Ubisoft.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 12-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #18
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

wow, i read it was quite bad but this seems preety bad...

i read about game breaking bugs and bugs that ruin your saved games. how nice. you play and play and play and then one day everything you save dso far is destroyed. how can they actualyl let the game with so obvious bugs out. and how can they let it out for so long without a patch?!

anyway not so long ago i finished an older game Boiling Point: Road to hell. I htink the concept is similar with respawning enemies and all. only a bit crappier on the graphics side. The game (even patched) has bugs. BUt with patched version they didn't bother me so much and it was quite interesting to finish it. Eventhough they could have made plenty things better.

I really hate the msions where you drive or walk 10-15 min real time, shgoot someone and then walk drive 15 min back to the person that gave the mission only to be sent yet again to the same place to pick up some stuff. well couldn't you tell me that before?!
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 13-05-2009, 04:03 AM   #19
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
wow, i read it was quite bad but this seems preety bad...

i read about game breaking bugs and bugs that ruin your saved games. how nice. you play and play and play and then one day everything you save dso far is destroyed. how can they actualyl let the game with so obvious bugs out. and how can they let it out for so long without a patch?!

anyway not so long ago i finished an older game Boiling Point: Road to hell. I htink the concept is similar with respawning enemies and all. only a bit crappier on the graphics side. The game (even patched) has bugs. BUt with patched version they didn't bother me so much and it was quite interesting to finish it. Eventhough they could have made plenty things better.

I really hate the msions where you drive or walk 10-15 min real time, shgoot someone and then walk drive 15 min back to the person that gave the mission only to be sent yet again to the same place to pick up some stuff. well couldn't you tell me that before?!
Boiling Point is superior to Farcry 2 for many reasons - just a few:

- there's actually people in the world - the world feels real. You don't feel as if you're thrown in a country where everyone will open fire the second they spot you.

- the country feels better designed as well. It doesn't feel as artificial as the one made in Farcry 2

- now this is based on memory since it's been a while since I played it, but enemies didn't respawn anywhere near as quickly and they did drop weapons for you to pick up so you were rewarded for your effort.

But yeah, it was quite buggy sadly enough. I remember the bug that caused a building to collapse when shot.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 13-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #20
Maxor127
Game Wizzard

Red Avatar exaggerates a lot. I haven't had any mouse problems. Yeah malaria is annoying, but it's not a big deal. At worst, you'll run out of pills and have to spend 5 minutes to get more. I think the jungle and atmosphere are excellent and easily the best aspects of the game. The game is huge, so I don't know what you mean by small. I would've liked more ambient wildlife, but when I'm speeding down a road, I could care less. The respawning mercs are annoying, but it's not a big deal. It's an FPS and wouldn't be a good one if you could always shy away from combat. I think it would be worse if you spent minutes driving and not encounter a single enemy. I didn't notice anything cut and pasted. There are lots of different buildings and various locales. Some of the checkpoints might recycle buildings but there are a ton of them. I thought the missions were repetitive too until the second act, when they actually started getting more varied and interesting (the story missions anyways). The AI is some of the better AI I've seen in a game. They attempt to flank you, jump in vehicles to chase you down, try to run you over, help wounded buddies, etc. There is a need to collect diamonds since weapons rust and jam more often. Enemies drop guns and ammo. And the fire is probably the most realistic I've seen in a game. And its graphics are nearly on par with Crysis. The character models are excellent and I like how the game sucks you in and never leaves your point of view. There are lots of little details that I think you fail to recognize and appreciate.
Maxor127 is offline                         Send a private message to Maxor127