Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #21
red_avatar
Administrator

Yet all that doesn't matter because of a few extremely poor decisions:

- enemies respawn extremely fast
+ no reward for killing
+ a LOT of driving back and forward

So really, why did they make killing people so dull? I mean, combat can be enjoyable by itself (but frankly I felt that Farcry 2 failed here as well due to poor AI) but when you remove any reward, it just makes the game pointless. I mean, surely you want to have a goal? Besides, why save for better weapons if you don't need them? And why make weapons & ammo free to replenish? That makes no sense.

There's just far too many flaws - this is not a rough diamond, it's a piece of coal.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 10-06-2009, 08:44 AM   #22
zorrobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_avatar View Post

+ no reward for killing
+ a LOT of driving back and forward

So really, why did they make killing people so dull? I mean, combat can be enjoyable by itself (but frankly I felt that Farcry 2 failed here as well due to poor AI) but when you remove any reward, it just makes the game pointless. I mean, surely you want to have a goal? Besides, why save for better weapons if you don't need them? And why make weapons & ammo free to replenish? That makes no sense.

There's just far too many flaws - this is not a rough diamond, it's a piece of coal.
I agree with you.
"Enemies drop guns and ammo." -> yeah, they do, they drop shit
Respawning enemies were extremely annoying for me too. It would have been okay, if the game is called Serious Sam 3, but after the opening ride, I expected a game full of story, deceit, friendly NPCs(and not dumb script-terminators that help you), conversations, and tactical, realistic combat. I could say more, but ehh, this game was too much of a dissapointment, so nuff said.

Edit:
After re-reading my post, realized what I was expecting GTA Kenya
zorrobomber is offline                         Send a private message to zorrobomber
Old 10-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #23
LurkingGrue

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_avatar View Post

+ no reward for killing
This is basically what killed the game for me. Endlessly slaughtering respawning guardposts (or check points or whatever they were called) gets old really fast. I rarely give up on games after only few evenings of playing them, but Far Cry 2 was such a game. Too bad, it seemed to hold such potential. A sandbox FPS in Africa with cars, boats and whatnot sounded good, too bad the execution wasn't. I agree with red_avatar on the shortcomings of this game.

And realism? Well, if I hit an enemy with 3-5 bullets from an assault rifle, they should not be standing any longer (or getting up after being knocked down) - they should be dead or very quickly dying. IMO, that's realism. Also enemies hitting me from long range with a shotgun with a lot of foiliage in between us - nah. I'm not conviced of the combat realism in FC2.

P.S. Hello world! (This is my first post here. Sorry to start out so negative... )
LurkingGrue is offline                         Send a private message to LurkingGrue
Old 13-06-2009, 01:26 AM   #24
Jinga_janga

I loved how even the faction you were doing a mission for at the time would still attack you if you passed by them.
Jinga_janga is offline                         Send a private message to Jinga_janga
Old 15-06-2009, 08:32 AM   #25
zorrobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinga_janga View Post
I loved how even the faction you were doing a mission for at the time would still attack you if you passed by them.
Explanation for this in the game: undercover operation.
zorrobomber is offline                         Send a private message to zorrobomber