Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
TheAnyKey

Default Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday: "Unexpected Error During Save: 3"

Hi,

unfortunately I have yet another problem, this time with a specific game, Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday. I have downloaded the game from Abandonia.

I get the error "Unexpected Error During Save: 3" whenever I try to click "Add Character", "Load Saved Game" or "yes", to save the character after character creation.

I have played the game before, without any errors, but suddenly the error is here.

My installation path for the game is "C:\BR1", and the save folder is "C:\BR1\SAVE". I have tried "C:\SAVE" as save folder and changed the path accordingly in the "BUCK" editor file. The error did not occur then, but my created characters were not saved.

My "BUCK" editor file looks currently like this: http://i41.tinypic.com/r2vqft.jpg

I have DOSBox 0.73 and winXP.

Thanks.

PS: I have read this thread: http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=16748 but couldn't find a solution for my problem there.
TheAnyKey is offline                         Send a private message to TheAnyKey
Old 10-04-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

first try this: rightclick the files inside c:\br1 and uncheck the box saying "read only", do the same inside c:\br1\save

if that doesn't work (and it probably won't=P) then do mind that your "buck editor file" is being ran in dosbox. therefore when you mount your c:\br1\ as C: directory, suddenly c:\br1\save becomes c:\save...

therefore you could move br1 to c:\dosgames\br1 and inside dosbox write
mount c c:\dosgames
c:
cd br1
start.exe
Old 10-04-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
TheAnyKey

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
first try this: rightclick the files inside c:\br1 and uncheck the box saying "read only", do the same inside c:\br1\save

if that doesn't work (and it probably won't=P) then do mind that your "buck editor file" is being ran in dosbox. therefore when you mount your c:\br1\ as C: directory, suddenly c:\br1\save becomes c:\save...

therefore you could move br1 to c:\dosgames\br1 and inside dosbox write
mount c c:\dosgames
c:
cd br1
start.exe
I tried removing the "write only" on the br1 folder but the box always gets checked again after clicking "ok".

I already have a folder "C:\dosgames\BR1", and the BUCK edit says "C:\dosgames\BR1\SAVE\".

I get the same error there.
TheAnyKey is offline                         Send a private message to TheAnyKey
Old 10-04-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The config file has to specify the location in the way it appears in DOSBox.
C:\BR1\SAVE\

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 10-04-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

why did you change things i didn't tell you to change? like fifth said, you should have left the buck edit file as it is, therefore c:\br1\save

that's right
game inside c:\dosgames\br1
config file: c:\br1\save
Old 10-04-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
TheAnyKey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
The config file has to specify the location in the way it appears in DOSBox.
C:\BR1\SAVE\
I type in dosBox:

mount c c:\BR1

The config says C:\BR1\SAVE, and that is where the save folder is.

I Just heard about the plane crash with the Polish president and over 130 other people on board. What a huge tragedy.

Quote:
why did you change things i didn't tell you to change? like fifth said, you should have left the buck edit file as it is, therefore c:\br1\save

that's right
game inside c:\dosgames\br1
config file: c:\br1\save
I mount: mount c c:\dosgames\br1

the "BUCK" config in that folder says now c:\br1\save.

Still it does not work.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #7
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

JESUS CHRIST no. listen to us

erase everything, download the archive again!
do exactly what i tell you don't do anything extra! ok? DO NOT DO ANYTHING THAT I DON'T TELL YOU TO DO HERE. please

*download the thing
*extract the "doomsday" directory inside the zip to directory c:\dosgames
therefore you will have the game located in c:\dosgames\doomsday
*do not touch any configuration file, do not even open it otherwise you will ruin it again
*fire up your dosbox
*type:
mount c d:\dosgames
c:
cd doomsday
start.exe
Old 10-04-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
TheAnyKey

Quote:
JESUS CHRIST no. listen to us

erase everything, download the archive again!
do exactly what i tell you don't do anything extra! ok? DO NOT DO ANYTHING THAT I DON'T TELL YOU TO DO HERE. please

*download the thing
*extract the "doomsday" directory inside the zip to directory c:\dosgames
therefore you will have the game located in c:\dosgames\doomsday
*do not touch any configuration file, do not even open it otherwise you will ruin it again
*fire up your dosbox
*type:
mount c d:\dosgames
c:
cd doomsday
start.exe
I did not change anything you "didn't tell me to change". You did not tell me any of this above. If you had, it would have worked earlier.

But never mind, it seems to work now, thank you.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:23 PM   #9
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

i did tell it, except before the dir was called br1, and then you write to horseman that you changed the config file=S

anyways, glad it works
Old 10-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #10
TheAnyKey

Quote:
i did tell it, except before the dir was called br1, and then you write to horseman that you changed the config file=S

anyways, glad it works
You implied that I changed anything, before I even answered horseman. And even though, I did not tell horseman, that I changed the config.

You told me: "therefore you could move br1 to c:\dosgames\br1".

Then I replied to you: "I already have a folder "C:\dosgames\BR1", and the BUCK edit says "C:\dosgames\BR1\SAVE\".

I did not change anything here. I always had two BR1 folders(C:\BR1 and C:\dosgames\BR1)