Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-02-2020, 05:50 PM   #1
3xistence

Default Your worthwhile MS-DOS games

If You will have to suggest 5 MS-DOS games that you simply can't not suggest, what titles you will propose?

Without any order i will say:
1) Diablo
2) Syndicate
3) Monkey Island 1 and 2
4) Prince of Persia
5) Warcraft 1 and 2
3xistence is offline                         Send a private message to 3xistence
Old 21-02-2020, 07:15 PM   #2
MuzzyF8
Forum hobbit

Ok. If you want some list I will share my list of games I still go back when I don't have much time to play some new games.

1) One Must Fall 2097
The best robots fighting game - specially tournament mode.
Good graphics, good music, great gameplay.

2) Incredible Machine 2
If you want to think a little bit you can just solve the puzzle.
Again good graphics, nice music, challenging puzzles.

3) 4D Sports Boxing
Nice boxing simulator... Still trying to go for the first place in tournament mode.
Vector graphics with static background. Nice music (specially when MT-32 mode with munt used)

4) Skyroads
I think anyone who experienced DOS era knows it.
Adlib music is one of the DOS best soundtracks IMHO.

5) Lotus 3
Just drive to reach checkpoint in limited time.
with cm32l munt emulation the music is great in it and sometimes I can run it to listen music instead of playing game.
MuzzyF8 is offline                         Send a private message to MuzzyF8
Old 22-02-2020, 08:03 PM   #3
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Diablo was windows-based, not MS-DOS I think.

I'd say, in no particular order:

1) Prince of Persia 1
2) Doom 2
3) Monkey Island 1
4) Phantasmagoria 2: a puzzle of flesh
5) Revenge on School

+1: Fallout (I can't truly believe it was DOS,no matter how many list lists it as such, like this:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index_of_DOS_games_(F))
Old 22-02-2020, 08:29 PM   #4
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

1) UFO: Enemy Unknown (you should try OpenXcom)
2) XCOM: Apocalypse (you should try OpenApoc)
3) Fallout
4) Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall (you should try Daggerfall Unity)
5) Commander Keen: Goodbye Galaxy

Yes, Fallout was released for DOS. I have played it in DOSBox many times.
Diablo was not released for DOS.
Old 22-02-2020, 08:44 PM   #5
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirkoni View Post
1) UFO: Enemy Unknown (you should try OpenXcom)
2) XCOM: Apocalypse (you should try OpenApoc)

As far I can remember XCOM:A was just a rushed, buggy remake of UFO:EU, what (I mean UFO:EU) froze out for me after 100 missions (ufo crashlanding), andI got very pissed when it turned out your most needed stat is psy, which value you can only discover after like 50-66% progress, and you'll be wrecked during the endgame mission if you don't have the right soldiers developed through the ranks without.
Otherwise I'd've nominated the game myself. but it's just horribly miss-designed.
Old 23-02-2020, 01:19 PM   #6
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillight View Post
IMO, everything you wrote there is invalid.

Even if the games have bugs, we now have open source clones (OpenXcom and OpenApoc) that can fix all those bugs and improve the games in other ways as well (UI changes, gameplay changes, mods, ...).

UFO:EU has been included in many "top 10 best games ever made" lists. I remember it being the number 1 game in a Finnish gaming magazine around 2007-2009. And there's is a reason for it doing so well in these rankings.
Old 23-02-2020, 01:26 PM   #7
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirkoni View Post
UFO:EU has been included in many "top 10 best games ever made" lists. I remember it being the number 1 game in a Finnish gaming magazine around 2007-2009. And there's is a reason for it doing so well in these rankings.

Yes. Marketing.
Just like how Captain Marvel, Star Wars The Last Jedi, Doctoress Who, Star Trek STD (yes, that's what they went with) got on top of critics' list.
Don't mind that the actual products were bottom-of-the-barrel crap, and the audience-score hit rock-bottom (except when Rotten Tomatoes sold out and forged the numbers).
Old 23-02-2020, 02:22 PM   #8
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

Marketing?

Nope, lots of people who had never heard of UFO:EU before and played it for the first time in the 2000s still liked it. There were no adds/commercials for the game around when I first played it (~2004), either. Unless you count people's opinions about the game, and them posting those opinions here on this forum, as marketing. UFO: EU is a genuinely good game and that's why people like it.
Old 25-02-2020, 02:24 PM   #9
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillight View Post
I got very pissed when it turned out your most needed stat is psy, which value you can only discover after like 50-66% progress, and you'll be wrecked during the endgame mission if you don't have the right soldiers developed through the ranks without.
Otherwise I'd've nominated the game myself. but it's just horribly miss-designed.
Hmm. I believe, you are doing something wrong here. While I agree that Psy is truly uncovered only in second part of the game, it's not so hard to develop it. As I vaguely remember (it was 10+ years ago), all you need is a lot of soldiers (that I had anyway for my 6 bases), and time to train them in correspondent facilities and during battles. Last aspect is quite trivial after some psy value, so to speed up the process, you get most promising soldiers, train them a bit, then try to use their psy as much as possible in actual battles. Totally worked for me. *shrug*
Old 25-02-2020, 08:14 PM   #10
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Hmm. I believe, you are doing something wrong here. While I agree that Psy is truly uncovered only in second part of the game, it's not so hard to develop it. As I vaguely remember (it was 10+ years ago), all you need is a lot of soldiers (that I had anyway for my 6 bases), and time to train them in correspondent facilities and during battles. Last aspect is quite trivial after some psy value, so to speed up the process, you get most promising soldiers, train them a bit, then try to use their psy as much as possible in actual battles. Totally worked for me. *shrug*

When I got psy, I already had all the ranks filled. And hadlike 70 battles out of 100 (the point the game started crashing).
And as you can pretty much play the game without psy anyway, I didn't realy care for it, went on the final mission when it got obvious I can't research everything, and got massacred. Because of bad design.

Bad design combined with untold maximum of missions plus sluggish gameplay = never to return, watch some let's play if you have to.