Old 14-10-2008, 01:22 PM   #271
Dev175

Thanks man, i was beginning to become real desperate.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:
Dev175 is offline                         Send a private message to Dev175
Old 31-05-2009, 01:51 PM   #272
crowdsourced
Lurker

Default installing from disc on Mac?

Would it work to install from the cd and use dosbox? I don't have xp (set up with bootcamp).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
It's the first item in the site FAQ.

Basically, offering this and a few other games for download got us in major trouble a while back. We prefer having less downloadable games over being shut down by angry copyright holders.
crowdsourced is offline                         Send a private message to crowdsourced
Old 31-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #273
dosraider
Dismembered.

Default @#@#@#Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowdsourced View Post
Would it work to install from the cd and use dosbox? I don't have xp (set up with bootcamp).
Me thinks you best would create a BIN/CUE image to install the game in dosbox ( -> imgmount) on a Mac.
Mac has weirdo PC CD reading behavior, that way you avoid this problem, as an image is read flawless in dosbox even on a @#@#@#@# Mac.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 15-06-2009, 11:19 PM   #274
cnquist
Forum hobbit

Is this game ever going to be unprotected?

Just curious since its been 15 years. Not that it matters that much to me as I still have the original CDs. Its a great game though and I'd love for people who haven't had a chance to play it to try it. Its the only flight simulator I can stand. And not only do I stand it, I love it. This is a series LucasArts should have kept alive!
cnquist is offline                         Send a private message to cnquist
Old 10-12-2009, 06:40 AM   #275
Talkie
Forum hobbit

Default X-Wing Collector's Cd-Rom Tips

I'm playing this at the moment and it is a classic, even if it borrows from Wing Commander.

I just want to add that I'm playing with a mouse and without PPJoy because that application would give erratic moves. It IS possible to play with a mouse if you put your mouse sensibility (configuration panel) to the maximum. The real thing you need to focus on is learn the ideal followsuit speed for each enemy craft (and they vary depending of the craft you are flying). I find that some are hard to match, example an enemy A-Wing, when you have no choice to lower your shield or laser powers to gain some speed. But once you find the perfect speed for a type of enemy craft, you simply play with going a couple numbers up (to get closer) and a couple numbers down (if you get too close) and you should have an easy time shooting.

Second rule is always upper your shields when you can, and use laser power transfer every couple times you get hit.

I find that, after exercising in the Pilot Proving Ground, it's better to play the first 3 Historical Combat sets (X-Wing, Y-Wing and A-Wing) and then the more ambitious CD Missions. I would keep the B-Wing Historical missions for later, because some of them are more difficult, but also they assume you have played the first 3 Tour Of Duty, or more to the point, in the Star Wars universe, these events appear later on, if you get my drift.

You should save a copy of your Pilot each time you complete a Tour Of Duty mission, because that is the only way to "save" in X-Wing (the Pilot file is the .PLT file that has your pilot's name).

Don't forget that Tie Bombers or anything that shoot torpedoes are your priority, but I should really say, second priority, the first being to execute the goals that are enlisted to you.

Use the TOPACE5 pilot as a wingman and give him orders, but always make a backup for him too (there is one on the CD anyway).

If you get stucked on a single mission, they are a couple editors out there to cheat and make-believe you have completed it. I'm saying because sometimes a mission is really bugging, and then the couple next are not so hard.

Don't forget to adjust the difficulty to "NEW" if you are indeed a newbie.

Cheers,

Talkie

PS: this was about the original DOS Collector's Cd-Rom. There is a later
"remake" which can't be played with a mouse.

PS2: It would be great if someday someone scanned the PDF of the original manual with the Farlander Story. The Cd-Rom edition manual is boring.

Last edited by Talkie; 10-12-2009 at 06:55 AM. Reason: you don't wanna know.
Talkie is offline                         Send a private message to Talkie
Old 14-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #276
lordinsane

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnquist View Post
Is this game ever going to be unprotected?

Just curious since its been 15 years. Not that it matters that much to me as I still have the original CDs. Its a great game though and I'd love for people who haven't had a chance to play it to try it. Its the only flight simulator I can stand. And not only do I stand it, I love it. This is a series LucasArts should have kept alive!
I suspect it has something to do with LucasArts not being members of the ESA, and being more harsh on the entire abandonware matter, might have something to do with it. Note that Zak McKracken, a LucasArts game 21 years old, still isn't unprotected.
lordinsane is offline                         Send a private message to lordinsane
Old 01-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #277
Drew1776
Lurker

Default Help with selecting wingman!

I used to have the DOS version of X-Wing where right before a battle you could select wingmen. I purchased the X-Wing Collector seriese disk. The program runs fine in Vista except for the fact that I don't have the option of selecting my wingmen before a battle. It's very strange because on the CD topace and topace5 are present. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

On a side note, In the old DOS version when an enemy ship or a friendly ship was launched or hypered in a audio cue would sound. This appears to be missing from the windows version. Any idea if there is a way to get it back?
Drew1776 is offline                         Send a private message to Drew1776
Old 03-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #278
Scatty
Treasure hunter

You mean you got a Windows version of that game? Seems they removed small things like that from the Collector series. It's not a first time something like that happens with a Windows version of a game, I also own a Windows version of MechWarrior II where a secret mech which can be selected through cheats lacks some data so editing it's parts / weapons crashes the game. Same things occur also in game compilation packs, like Game-Hits 2 where Lords of Magic Special Edition and Heretic II have been cut out some rather important parts like creature description and some game data in first and complete CD music in latter.
You might simply consider playing the original X-Wing CD-Rom Edition for Ms-Dos through DosBox which should work flawlessly as X-Wing isn't a very ressource demanding game.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 01-02-2011, 05:49 AM   #279
Kittani
Default George Lucas is a tool

Seriously... they will never remake this game.. I have copies up the yin yang that I can't play because somewhere along the line the floppy got abandoned too. Why do companies try so hard to protect a product they no longer sell or will ever sell? Seems like bad business to me. I move to boycot Star Wars... bet that'll hurt them more than losing 0$ for a game they never they don't sell anymore. There should be a law that states that if a company wishes to maintain a copyright on a game it must do the following...

1) provide compatibility for all MS or Apple platforms that are current (whichever it was released on initially)
2) continue to provide the game packaged for sale either online or in-store.
3) agree to allow the game to be freely distributed if #1 and 2# are not met.

Getting off my soapbox... and don't complain about the devs in this case... they didn't make any money on this knowing George and if they are even still alive they are probably working in EA's sweatshops by now or retired.

Old 23-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #280
wendel66

I loved this game and particularly loved the fact that you could make more missions for it. Even the Windows version would play the missions others created and I altered.

What I did not like about the Windows version is the removal of the ship information file BFLIGHT.OVL. I had some pretty souped up ships in the "Collectors" version. In the Windows version you could change the missions and the pilot status (very helpful) but you were stuck with the basic ship characteristics.

Now I can't even play the game on my Windows 7 machine and I know Lucas Arts will not make a Windows 7 version.

Ah, days of my youth.
wendel66 is offline                         Send a private message to wendel66