Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-10-2007, 03:11 AM   #1
Iowa
Game Wizzard

Well, now that I'm barely getting by with my old computer (on account of my new one becoming SNAFU), I switched my torrent client from Azureus to Utorrent. This was partially because I just simply can't run that awesome little blue frog with only 128mb RAM ( :ranting: you try living with this much memory, I dare ya) on Windows XP Professional. The tiny torrent program works awesome and all, and it certainly offers a decent replacement to Azureus, but that's not the main point.

What I'm trying to get at is that I simply can't find some things on .torrent websites, and for this reason I've been giving thought to downloading a more widely-used file-sharing program to find the things that I like. I've heard good things about Emule, but wanted to gather general consensus on the performance of these programs...

And another thing: I'm absolutely, positively, never downloading Lime or FrostWire. My chums have given me far too many horror stories about bundled malware and all-out viral massacre for me to even consider visiting the publisher's website. But then again, I know nothing of these file-sharing programs and am solely relying on the words of those I associate with. If these horror stories are indeed something not to be believed, then just how recommended is downloading above-mentioned Wire programs.

Thank you for your help...I honestly don't know where I'd turn when it came to issues like this if I hadn't accidentally stumbled across the Abandonia Forums 2 years ago.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:46 AM   #2
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

depends really on what kind of things you are looking for. i noticed just latelly that there is something with search engines. for example certain things could not be found anymore by torrentz search engine but if you went to some other ones they instantly found it.

E-mule is OK i guess, but there is a problem you might not get what you are after. we were downloading some spports game but what was in the package was a working Jedi Knight 2. i don't get the joke...

with torrents there are at least some user comments so you can do at least a bit of checking before downloading.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 09-10-2007, 06:26 AM   #3
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Moved from 3xBlah to Technical
Old 09-10-2007, 09:02 AM   #4
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

ares for music. btw have you heared about demonoid torrent site? they have enough stuff, you need invitation though.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:38 PM   #5
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

I recommend SoulSeek as another music searching program, very good for obsecure material.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 09-10-2007, 02:31 PM   #6
Japo
Autonomous human

EMule is OK, and it does support comments just like a torrent network, it's P2P alike after all. Don't really know if comments are actually customarily more used in one network or the other, but sure they are possible in eMule.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:22 PM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Shareaza downloads from several networks at once, but for ED2K network I advise eMule or MLDonkey.
Both support the serverless KAD network (which Shareaza doesn't) and MLDonkey also supports Overnet.

Also, DC++ is a very good one (provided you know the right hubs :). Fast and efficient... just one flaw: you'll run out of HDD space very fast after you start using it :P

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 09-10-2007, 04:46 PM   #8
velik_m
Game Wizzard

Warez used to be decent but i haven't used it in a while.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:20 PM   #9
Danny252
I have a custom title!

I've noticed that they all seem to have useless download speeds... I celebrate if I get over 10kbps on limewire, above 5 on any torrent downloader and it's a party if something like Soulseek or Emule even think of downloading

Yet other people continually say "oh, I get uber download speeds, why don't you?"

Most depressing at times...
Old 09-10-2007, 06:55 PM   #10
velik_m
Game Wizzard

Noob. Open your ports.