Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-04-2011, 03:23 PM   #21
Japo
Autonomous human

I agree. I don't think we will ever be able to go much farther.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #22
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

Default Re-state of what I've stated before...

Actually, the main inspiration for this whole b______t came from my recent times of messing around with various console emulators (I even installed some on my very limited J2ME supported phone... Yeah I'm insane) where people can usually open a game just like they would open a music file in a music player or a picture in an image gallery software or whatever you fancy as an example. Honestly I had no idea of the problem of the ever-changing emulation environment. By the way, making a game launcher out of dosbox isn't that bad, considering that if you really want to work with dos then you will probably use something like VirtualBox or a real 486 era IBM compatible - dosbox is already very, very optimized. Still, there were some useful thoughts around, like the one where people would send their favourite setups, and the reminder that reviews have already got some info about the compatiblity of the game. Whatever idea I think of involves infinite amount of work, and I don't even remember what made me to think of such things... Shouldn't we focus on more important problems regarding the site than dreaming about utopias? We have, for example, Abandoned Times, Retrolegends, and such dirty businesses running along, not to mention that nice pile of games lying around in the corner waiting to be reviewed. (Yeah, you might notice I quickly considered this idea of mine to be unsupported, but some of your points against it were fatal. Still, if we keep thinking, we might as-well come up with something useful, even if this isn't really urgent we should solve it from one day to another).

- Tracker

Reverend Preacherbot: Wretched sinner unit! The path to Robot Heaven lies here, in the Good Book 3.0.
Bender: Hey. Do I preach at you when you're lying stoned in the gutter? No!
Tracker is offline                         Send a private message to Tracker
Old 03-04-2011, 08:18 PM   #23
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

DOSBox is not that optimized. There is still a lot of games which struggle to work on it or downright don't work and that's why DOSBox version is not 1.00 yet.

I guess they'll eventually get there.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #24
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Actually, that's something of a "selling" point in DBGL.
It runs off a single copy of DOSBox and supports creating "installers" for packages of one or more games that set them up with the end user's copy of DBGL.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman