Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-08-2007, 09:57 PM   #11
DonCorleone
Hero Gamer

Dosbox runs perfectly smooth under Vista. There isn't a problem at all...
DonCorleone is offline                         Send a private message to DonCorleone
Old 08-08-2007, 04:46 AM   #12
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Well, it could be a question of which version of Vista? There could be differences, like my home premium is not listed over at MS as Virtual PC friendly, while other versions are.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:47 PM   #13
pellets

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ Aug 8 2007, 04:46 AM) [snapback]303496[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Well, it could be a question of which version of Vista? There could be differences, like my home premium is not listed over at MS as Virtual PC friendly, while other versions are.
[/b]
I have home premium , will test dosbox at the weekend , love to show my kids all the cool games I played at their age , just hope they work

:blink:

If u don't get a rush out of it. It AINT worthy.

Live Hard! Die Slow!

[font=Impact][font=Impact][font=Impact][size=7][font=Courier][size=7][color=blue]
pellets is offline                         Send a private message to pellets
Old 29-12-2007, 04:39 PM   #14
Jerry123

Yes, Dosbox works with Vista, no problem. I heard there were problems with CD emulation, but it should be fixed already. All games I tried worked without any problem (Vista 64-Bit by the way).
Some problems users keep experiencing could be related to User Account Control (UAC), a new security feature in Vista: Vista doesnt let programs access the root directory of drive C, the "Programs" and Windows subdirectories (among other things) without Administrator approval. This is a good idea against viruses, but it creates compatibility problems. It would definitely interfere with somebody mounting his drive c under dosbox (which is a bad idea anyway).

What I did: I made a separate partition on my Harddisk just for emulators, Dosbox in particular. UAC will (by default) not protect files you put there.

Then I set up a "Dos" directory for Dosbox which is mounted automatically upon starting dosbox (its done by using the conf file).
Jerry123 is offline                         Send a private message to Jerry123
Old 30-12-2007, 09:36 AM   #15
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry123 View Post
What I did: I made a separate partition on my Harddisk just for emulators, Dosbox in particular. UAC will (by default) not protect files you put there.
There is absolutely no need for that.
I've tested dosbox and VPC in Vista 32 ànd 64, with admin account ànd a restricted guest account.
Simply work in <your_name> folder. No problems there.

You only need once admin help on a guest account to install dosbox in <your_name>, after that it's straight forward.

You can of course use another partition for dosgaming/emulators to keep your system partition clean, but it's not needed for the sole purpose of access restrictions. And let's face it, many don't even know how to partition a HD.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 01-01-2008, 09:38 AM   #16
Jerry123

Yes, you dont need a separate partition just for dosbox. The reason I like having one is that I put all emulator files there (and also downloads, temporary files and such) because it tends to keep the main drive clean. Thats also the reason why I dont like to work in my "home" folder with dosbox. I use the home folder only for personal data and such.
But you are right, you dont need that as an average user. Really, dosbox works nicely on Vista.
It is, of course, important to use the latest version of dosbox and also it probably wont hurt to use lastest drivers for the graphics card and sound card/onboard sound, especially if you like running dosbox in a window. But I guess gamers have that.
Jerry123 is offline                         Send a private message to Jerry123
Old 13-02-2008, 02:09 AM   #17
alli illektro

im also trying to run dos games on vista. i dont really have any problems running DOSbox in Vista but from there im not sure how to actually run the games, when i click the executable file in the windows directory i get the same message "this program does not support full screen mode." Is this a Vista problem or do i just not know what the hell i'm doing? help would be nice. :wondering:
alli illektro is offline                         Send a private message to alli illektro
Old 13-02-2008, 07:53 PM   #18
DonCorleone
Hero Gamer

Have you already read the DosBox Beginner's Guide? You can find it in the troubleshooting subforum...

I would link to it. Unfortunately Links lead into absolutely nothing. But you can easily find it. It's the first sticky in the named subforum...
DonCorleone is offline                         Send a private message to DonCorleone
Old 14-02-2008, 03:29 AM   #19
alli illektro

yeah- i got it working. thanks tho hun!
alli illektro is offline                         Send a private message to alli illektro
Old 14-02-2008, 05:39 PM   #20
madcrow
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by alli illektro View Post
im also trying to run dos games on vista. i dont really have any problems running DOSbox in Vista but from there im not sure how to actually run the games, when i click the executable file in the windows directory i get the same message "this program does not support full screen mode." Is this a Vista problem or do i just not know what the hell i'm doing? help would be nice. :wondering:
DOSbox doesn't intergrate with the system at all. It creates a virtual DOS machine, using various folders and disk images as virtual drives. You start programs using oldschool DOS commands from inside DOSbox.
madcrow is offline                         Send a private message to madcrow