Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-04-2007, 02:18 AM   #591

why is the one w/ music and speech 142megabytes? And the one from abandonia 11 mb? Are the music and speech files that big?

Also the one from abandonia gives me an error message after I choose my character, even when I choose no music or sounds in setup.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:24 PM   #592
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
why is the one w/ music and speech 142megabytes? And the one from abandonia 11 mb? Are the music and speech files that big?[/b]
Yups, they are.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 27-04-2007, 01:01 PM   #593
Maerryji

Found some time and played again. With some preparations, I've completed the game in 1 hour 27 minutes.
(Character: Michael Level: Nightmare). Does anyone want to try to improve this record?

Just to remind what is "Nightmare" level: a special setting available through hex-code cheaing where monsters are somewhat thinner but extremely rapid (at least, in disk version). Use the hex-editor, find the byte with the address 00000253 and set it to the value 38x ("8" character) (this also affects other settings). Then load the game and check the settings. If you see "Monsters are: Main menu" you're in the nightmare.

I can describe the way you can pass the game quickly, as well as my usual way to complete the game which is somewhat redundant but safe. However, the forum is not a proper place for this, because after a few months it becomes hard to find the useful information you've seen here. A site where such manual could be saved and become easily available would be useful.
I could also provide some more specialized information, like hex-editing items. However, this technique is not easy to describe, so don't ask me to post it here.

Old 27-04-2007, 01:28 PM   #594
Maerryji

A note on HP and MP.

There is most probably a dice system used for HP improvements. One Mage level gives you a value of one die (1–6), one Rogue level — two dice (2–12), and Fighter level — four dice (4–24). So the probability to see +24 HP at one Fighter level improvement is 1/1296 which is probably too low. I think the best result I have seen was +23 HP (however, I have seen +4 HP a few times, an event of the same probability, so maybe I am a bit wrong). If you have a time you can save right before the level and try to get as much as you have patience for. In my opinion, +21 HP ("very good") is probable enough to try this, +19 HP ("good") you may make in less than ten attempts, +17 HP ("fine") need probably three or four attempts. (See the warning below).

All the characters except Ak'shel get +18–+25 MP per level, and Ak'shel gets +25–+37. My advice is to save the game before you get the Mage level and repeat getting it until you have the maximum. (This does take some time but the result worths that. Say, Conrad at 3rd level may cast Heal: IV only if you did so, and Ak'shel has at most 180 MP at 5th level which is enough for Mist of Doom: IV + Mist of Doom: I.)

Warning: Keep your eye on the maximal HP. There is a borderline crossing which you begin having a troubles with healing. Once your character gets 128 HP, Heal: III and Heal: IV will become much less helpful when he is in "dead" ("unconscious" for those who afraid to face the truth) state. In general, you get only about 16 HP when you are healing character with (max HP – HP) > 127.

Old 27-04-2007, 02:27 PM   #595
Maerryji

Nightmare level.

Disk version - byte 00000253 (4th byte in "00000250" string, since it covers the bytes 00000250-0000025F).
CD version - byte 0000025E

Setting it to 38 ("8") you get:
Music:off Sounds:off Monsters are:Main menu Smooth scrolling:on Floating cursor: off.
Changing the settings is up to you, but if you modify the "Monsters are" position, you won't get back to "nightmare" level without hex-editing save file again.

Have a nice tough game!

Old 27-04-2007, 03:01 PM   #596
Alchemist

Send a message via MSN to Alchemist

Here are the save games in disk version. For all the four characters game was saved in the initial position, and the "nightmare" level was implemented.
[attachmentid=3979]
Alchemist is offline                         Send a private message to Alchemist
Old 02-05-2007, 05:30 PM   #597
Reanimator

[attachmentid=3984]
I think YOU'd have to see it... :w00t:
Reanimator is offline                         Send a private message to Reanimator
Old 12-05-2007, 04:44 PM   #598

Hello guys, i have searched for many trainers for lands of lore and i keep finding only trainers for the disk version 1.22. Is there a trainer for the cd version 1.02?

Old 19-05-2007, 06:55 PM   #599

I'd love a bit of help, as I'm failry newbie'ish when it comes to this.

- I have downloaded Daemontools and mounted the game file as CD-Drive D:\

- I have installed the game on my C:\ drive.

- I start up DOSBox and mount the game directory C:\ and the CD-Drive D:\

When I run LOLCD.EXE in DOSBox, it tells me that it doesn't find my CD drive.

What to do?

Old 19-05-2007, 07:29 PM   #600
Mike_G
Forum hobbit

I was playing the version from here and I haven't had to mount it on a virtual drive. By just dragging LANDS onto the DosBox icon it runs fine for me.
Mike_G is offline                         Send a private message to Mike_G