Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-05-2009, 01:52 AM   #1
Simoneer
Priest of The Order

Default A slight (resolution-related) DOSBox problem.

Okay, so I can't get a game running fullscreen. Well, I can enter fullscreen mode, but it's never covering all of it. That is, what I get is some sort of widescreen mode - a proper one. Nothing is off-screen or anything.

I have no idea what I might've edited in the .conf that causes it. But seeing a planet in, for an example, Ultima: Worlds of Adventure 2: Martian Dreams, is pretty damn annoying as it's all squished. They're supposed to be circular, damnit! Not oval.

Last edited by Simoneer; 30-05-2009 at 01:59 AM.
Simoneer is offline                         Send a private message to Simoneer
Old 30-05-2009, 02:18 AM   #2
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

maybe because your monitor has a different aspect ratio from the original game? ..
Old 30-05-2009, 02:57 AM   #3
Simoneer
Priest of The Order

It happens with all of them... Even if I go into fullscreen mode when I'm still at the DOSBox screen.
Old 30-05-2009, 07:01 AM   #4
dosraider
Dismembered.

Something to do with....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simoneer View Post
Hmm... No dosbox.conf anywhere to be found?

EDIT: Nevermind. Just copied the DOSBox 0.72 conf file into the 0.73 folder. Works like a charm.

Autoexec FTW. \o/
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
Bad idea. Do not mix them.

If you want a dosbox.conf in your dosbox folder let dosbox write a new one, adapted to 0.73.

dosbox -> readme -> 4. Internal Programs -> CONFIG -writeconf localfile

[Edit]
Or open the dosbox 0.73 config file (start menu -> dosbox 0.73-> configuration) and use
'save as' -> 'all files' -> 'dosbox.conf' -> point to your dosbox 0.73 folder.
Not as 'dosbox-0.73.conf', that doesn't work in the dosbox folder.
Maybe you could try to use the 0.63 dosbox conf in 0.73 ..... or the 0.73 conf file in 0.58?
Be creative! FTW!

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 30-05-2009, 09:47 AM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Simoneer:
aspect=false in DOSBox.conf . Change to aspect=true . This should help.
If it doesn't, what is your display's aspect ratio (or just the resolution, comes down to the same thing)?

Also, that thing with the config file shouldn't work. 0.73 stores its config file somewhere under /Documents and Settings/your user profile name/ (forgot the exact location, but it shouldn't be difficult to find from there).

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 30-05-2009 at 09:56 AM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 30-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
Japo
Autonomous human

There are two problems with aspect ratios: using one where pixels are square (because its AR matches the physical one of your screen), and the difference between this physical AR and the one of the DOS game, which is fixed. Aspect ratio is the ratio between the horizontal and vertical dimensions of a picture.

Edit the .conf file and replace "fullresolution=original" with another resolution that matches the physical aspect ratio of your screen. To see what choices you have, right-click on the Windows desktop and access the dialogue where you can change the resolution. To know the aspect ratio of each choice, just divide both dimensions with a calculator. To know the physical aspect ratio of your screen, get some tape measure and divide both dimensions in centimeters or inches or whatever.

Still, you may get the same "problem" that the images from DOS games don't cover the whole screen, because each game has its own aspect ratio. 320x200 and 640x400 have 1.6 (16:10) and 640x480 1.33 (4:3).

You can get the the image from DOSBox to fill the whole screen by enabling "aspect=true" in the .conf file. But there is hardly any point in using that option: the anti-aliasing will blur the image, and there's no advantage in enlarging an image across one of the two dimensions by stretching the pixels.
Old 30-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #7
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Also, that thing with the config file shouldn't work. 0.73 stores its config file somewhere under /Documents and Settings/your user profile name/ (forgot the exact location, but it shouldn't be difficult to find from there).
It works. If you put a dosbox.conf in your dosbox-0.73 folder it will use that one.
But there is no real reason to do that.
The default one is stored as
\AppData\Local\dosbox\dosbox-0.73.conf

If no dosbox.conf is present in the dosbox-0.73 folder it will use the default one.
If a dosbox.conf file is present in \program files\dosbox-0.73\ it will use that one, not the default one.

Of course you can add all that you want under [autoexec] in the default one.
So there is no real reason to want one in your dosbox-0.73 folder, except if you want to create several game specific config files.

Notice:
In the \appdata\blahblah\ it's named dosbox-0.73.conf
In the \program files\dosbox-0.73\ folder it must be named dosbox.conf
to be loaded at startup.
Game specific ones loaded in the specific game shortcut can be named whatever.conf

And Simoneer: it's still a screwed idea to put your old 0.72 dosbox.conf file in 0.73.

FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 30-05-2009 at 03:52 PM. Reason: tipooooz
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 30-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #8
Japo
Autonomous human

The default folder in Vista is

\Users\_____\AppData\Local\DOSBox\

Where "_____" is the Windows username

in XP I can't check now but it must be

\Documents and Settings\_____\Local Settings\Application Data\DOSBox\

I guess it would change according to the %localappdata% environment variable.
Old 30-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #9
Simoneer
Priest of The Order

Quote:
Something to do with....
Well, I had the same crap with 0.72 (but only after I reinstalled the PC!). I must seriously have messed something up. Although, I now have the proper conf in there... and same crap still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Simoneer:
aspect=false in DOSBox.conf . Change to aspect=true . This should help.
If it doesn't, what is your display's aspect ratio (or just the resolution, comes down to the same thing)?
That worked.

1280 x 1024, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
Edit the .conf file and replace "fullresolution=original" with another resolution that matches the physical aspect ratio of your screen. To see what choices you have, right-click on the Windows desktop and access the dialogue where you can change the resolution. To know the aspect ratio of each choice, just divide both dimensions with a calculator. To know the physical aspect ratio of your screen, get some tape measure and divide both dimensions in centimeters or inches or whatever.

Still, you may get the same "problem" that the images from DOS games don't cover the whole screen, because each game has its own aspect ratio. 320x200 and 640x400 have 1.6 (16:10) and 640x480 1.33 (4:3).

You can get the the image from DOSBox to fill the whole screen by enabling "aspect=true" in the .conf file. But there is hardly any point in using that option: the anti-aliasing will blur the image, and there's no advantage in enlarging an image across one of the two dimensions by stretching the pixels.
Hmm... Yeah, I suppose I should play around with it a bit. Although I've done so alot already (and it seems to either get widescreen'd, or just... extremely small).

Quote:
It works. If you put a dosbox.conf in your dosbox-0.73 folder it will use that one.
But there is no real reason to do that.
The default one is stored as
\AppData\Local\DOSBox\dosbox\dosbox-0.73.conf

If no dosbox.conf is present in the dosbox-0.73 folder it will use the default one.
If a dosbox.conf file is present in \program files\dosbox-0.73\ it will use that one, not the default one.

Of course you can add all that you want under [autoexec] in the default one.
So there is no real reason to want one in your dosbox-0.73 folder, except if you want to create several game specific config files.

Notice:
In the \appdata\blahblah\ it's named dosbox-0.73.conf
In the \program files\dosbox-0.73\ folder it must be named dosbox.conf
to be loaded at startup.
Game specific ones loaded in the specific game shortcut can be named whatever.conf

And Simoneer: it's still a screwed idea to put your old 0.72 dosbox.conf file in 0.73.
Yes. Thank you for the help... I had NO idea where that conf file was.

I don't have much understanding of this stuff. I just went with the only thing I could think of. >.>

Thank you all for taking the time.
Old 30-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #10
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simoneer View Post
I don't have much understanding of this stuff. I just went with the only thing I could think of. >.>
Thank you all for taking the time.
You're welcome
BTW, You don't have to know where it is, you simply have to click in your dosbox start menu items on:

That will open the default conf file in notepad and you can add/edit all you want.

Tip of the day:
If you're curious hit the 'save as' in notepad and the full path will be revealed to you.

FOR RENT
*Advertising space*