Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau > Cold Cases
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-04-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
RettMikhal

Default Trying to remember this old DOS RPG

I had a shareware copy of this really elaborate and difficult RPG way back before I lost all my DOS games. I'm almost positive it was called Vampire Rose, but I am 100% positive it had a blue rose as the title screen and in the first town you could buy a rose for five gold. If you died, you went to heaven, and when you talked to the lawyers they'd kill you if you didn't have the rose. If you did have the rose the text of them thinking would just keep scrolling.

Obviously at 8 years old I just could not understand how to beat this game, I couldn't even get to the first dungeon it was so damn difficult. Everything seemed a hell of a lot stronger than you... except the court jester whom you could steal from and kill and get away with it if you just left town quickly.

The whole thing was static sprites in an overhead view of the castle/town/world map. At the beginning you picked what skills you had. I remember there was climbing walls, pickpocketing (the most useful in the short span of one town I ever could complete), picking locks, strength and firing a bow and all that.

I REALLY wanna know if this game is even remotely possible to beat. I tried over and over and always failed. When you went into a battle, it was always you alone, and if the enemy was stronger they had 10-25 guys against you
RettMikhal is offline                         Send a private message to RettMikhal
Old 19-04-2008, 09:56 PM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Doesn't sound like a RPG. More like an adventure game.

Best game combining adventure and RPG I know, and which fit well your description, would be the Quest for Glory serie.

But I don't think the rose part fit in...
Old 21-04-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
RettMikhal

No it was defiantly an RPG. When you encountered an enemy you went into a battle screen. You could level up and get gold and buy armor and all that jazz. That game isn't it, but it looks like an adventure game from the Police Quest II era so I will download it and enjoy it. Long live text control.
RettMikhal is offline                         Send a private message to RettMikhal
Old 21-04-2008, 11:26 PM   #4
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I received an odd private message yesterday. I'm pretty sure it was meant for you.

Quote:
To: Eagle of Fire
Subject: I think I found the RPG you're looking for!
Date: 20. April 2008 - 21:47

I saw your topic. Your description reminded me of a game I played once called Vampyr: The Talisman of Invocation. Here's a download link, tell me if it helped: http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=3068.
Old 23-04-2008, 04:05 AM   #5
bobinator1992
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via ICQ to bobinator1992 Send a message via AIM to bobinator1992 Send a message via MSN to bobinator1992 Send a message via Yahoo to bobinator1992 Send a message via Skype™ to bobinator1992

Yeah, sorry about that, Eagle. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that's the game he's thinking of. I remember I had it on an old DOS shareware CD once when I was little.
bobinator1992 is offline                         Send a private message to bobinator1992