Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-03-2006, 07:15 AM   #21
The Good Soldier Švejk
[BANNED]

Well, one of the Biggest Games i ever Installed was 9,6 GB on a...............just a moment..........................120 GB hard drive.In 20 years it will be.......hm.............60 GB on a.................600 GB Hard Drive.

and in 60 years 900 GB on a 100.000 GB Hard Drive....................and so on.
The Good Soldier Švejk is offline                         Send a private message to The Good Soldier Švejk
Old 24-03-2006, 02:29 PM   #22
Stebbi
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by The Good Soldier Švejk@Mar 24 2006, 07:15 AM
Well, one of the Biggest Games i ever Installed was 9,6 GB on a...............just a moment..........................120 GB hard drive.In 20 years it will be.......hm.............60 GB on a.................600 GB Hard Drive.

and in 60 years 900 GB on a 100.000 GB Hard Drive....................and so on.
LOL no There are now 600 gb actuly existing and some Tb harddrives just not open to the public and i think in 60 years we will maybe somethin bigger than 100TB OR everything will get smaller.
Stebbi is offline                         Send a private message to Stebbi
Old 24-03-2006, 02:52 PM   #23
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I have a 80 gig HD in this computer that I bought 2 years ago... And that's easily by 20 times the biggest HD I ever had.
Old 24-03-2006, 04:39 PM   #24
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

As I collect a lot of stuff, I got well over 1TB of space.

80 GB can be easily filled with somewhat 20 new games.

I just noticed Machwarrior 3 (purchased it rescently) takes ~600MB with movies. :blink:

I believe that HD space is getting double every 2-3 years. (or that was for processors)
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 26-03-2006, 09:20 AM   #25
Dufgall

Send a message via AIM to Dufgall Send a message via Yahoo to Dufgall

Processor speed doubles every 18 months or so..

I remember when i was like "WOW! if you compress the harddrive, you get twice the space" and my first brand spanking new harddrive was 20 gig and cost 110$. It is now in it's 5th computer by the way.

as for data storage, for about 600$ If i'm not mistaken, you can have a terrabyte om memory on 2 harddrives, which at this point is the most that can be put in a computer by your average computer geek wannabe(such as myself).

of course i'm downloading every abandonware game that interest me. it's not easy to find games that will run on win98(FE) with 64 megs of ram.

:Titan:
Check THIS out. Awesome! YAY!
Dufgall is offline                         Send a private message to Dufgall
Old 26-03-2006, 08:10 PM   #26
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

FE? :blink:

Federal Edition? :bleh:
Old 28-03-2006, 06:53 AM   #27
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Though graphics by themselves do not a good game make, it is silly to say that modern games that do have higher quality graphics are all in the looks only category. I far from a new gamer, and my favourite game is still an old one (1986-7), but with games like Silent Hunter III (just to mention one good looking and good all around game from the many that exist today), I find it very difficult to find an older game (of the exact same category) better in anything else than sentimental value. Sure I love Silent Service, even the original Silent Hunter perhaps, but are they actualy better than Silent hunter III? No, not even close.

Then there are games that were not that great to begin with, for example Bob Winner, I don't know if you know the game but it is an old (86 I think) game, one of the first 3 games I owned, and though it has some interesting ideas, the game is basicaly, crap. I still love it though I wouldn't play it.

Regarding the size/footprint of games. They are big, but, since to run most of them you need an equaly fast cpu and graphics card, plus ram, you probably already have the HDD to install the game to, since it will not even run on older pcs. The only time that I remember having problem with my HDD space was when I had my first HDD (for a PC, not in general) it was a 500MBs drive and it became inadequate very fast.
Games that need more than 1 GB of space exist for several years now, one that I remember right now is MS's Train Simulator, which needed IIRC 2.8 GBs back in 2001. So if you were lucky to have a 20GB drive back then, you immediately "lost" 15% of it for one game.
Now, games have not increased in size that much over the last 5 years, there are still plenty of games with less than a gig of hdd footprint, and rarely go over 2. (that is from a list of 100 PC games released last year I doubt you will find anything but a minority of them requiring 2+ gigs of space.

I am lucky enough to have recently bought a pc with 2x300GBs space, and together with my external drives I reach 990GBs of space. I am not the only one.
No, hard drive space is from my point of view, not the main threat to pc gaming. Microsoft is. Their future release of Windows Vista has caused me fear down my spine with the "good" DRM implementations and the Big Brother attitude. Combined with the usual (anyone here doubt it?) constant patches of problems with the OS that will exist, I am very seriously considering ending my PC gaming as soon as they stop making mainstream games that run on XP. An Apple computer (for video editing), and perhaps a PS3 (Already own a PSP) will become my gaming solution..

Enough of this from me.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios