Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-10-2008, 03:41 PM   #1
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Default Modem installation - problems

Well, last year I got myself a new, good computer. And now, I finally got myself a very own internet connection.

Its an TP-Link Ethernet ADSL2+ Router, mark TD-8840

This is the beast. Only 35€ and even recommended by the guy who sold it to me (said he uses it himself and is happy about it). However, I've been following the instructions and all, and even trying something else, but it doesnt seem to work.

For starters, the first thing I have to do is to set up the i.p address stuff from the network settings. I've seted it up for the default that the manual recommended and I inserted the Subnet mask too.

After that, im supposed to run a cd which has this program Im supposed to run. However, It wont, as it complains that "It cant connect to server".

I also tried to set up the thing so it automatically detects the ip's, but it doesnt seem to work. It complains something like "Cannot be used or its limited".

Strangely, when I use an A-link router modem, the one my parents used. Everything works perfectly (as it is now). I set it up to detect the ip.

EDIT: I've been fiddling with it and trying to figure out the mysterious phrases from the manual. I've gotten little farther: First, I reseted the modem and followed the ways in the manual. With luck, I managed to get to the setup by inserting my ip in the address bar. The still is still not working, as something doesnt connect into something...or something. I cant remember right now.

EDIT2: Im on a last step. Now all I need to do is to figure out the right VPI/VCI setting. Any ideas how I could do that?

EDIT3: Fixed fixed fixed! And I have no idea how I did it! Suddenly it all just started to work!

Thanks for (not) supporting!

Last edited by TheChosen; 05-10-2008 at 01:58 PM.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 12-10-2008, 12:54 AM   #2
win98
In the loop on hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChosen View Post
Well, last year I got myself a new, good computer. And now, I finally got myself a very own internet connection.

Its an TP-Link Ethernet ADSL2+ Router, mark TD-8840

This is the beast. Only 35€ and even recommended by the guy who sold it to me (said he uses it himself and is happy about it). However, I've been following the instructions and all, and even trying something else, but it doesnt seem to work.

For starters, the first thing I have to do is to set up the i.p address stuff from the network settings. I've seted it up for the default that the manual recommended and I inserted the Subnet mask too.

After that, im supposed to run a cd which has this program Im supposed to run. However, It wont, as it complains that "It cant connect to server".

I also tried to set up the thing so it automatically detects the ip's, but it doesnt seem to work. It complains something like "Cannot be used or its limited".

Strangely, when I use an A-link router modem, the one my parents used. Everything works perfectly (as it is now). I set it up to detect the ip.

EDIT: I've been fiddling with it and trying to figure out the mysterious phrases from the manual. I've gotten little farther: First, I reseted the modem and followed the ways in the manual. With luck, I managed to get to the setup by inserting my ip in the address bar. The still is still not working, as something doesnt connect into something...or something. I cant remember right now.

EDIT2: Im on a last step. Now all I need to do is to figure out the right VPI/VCI setting. Any ideas how I could do that?

EDIT3: Fixed fixed fixed! And I have no idea how I did it! Suddenly it all just started to work!

Thanks for (not) supporting!
You often find modems can be weird like that they just dont work then suddenly they do I had that the other day when i upgraded to an adsl2+ modem for when its avalible on my plan. It refused to work and oddly it suddenly did.
win98 is offline                         Send a private message to win98