Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-03-2007, 02:47 PM   #1
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Thumbs up

I have Vista, but I'm growing sick'n'tired of it, so: How do I create a dual boot with XP added? How do I go about it? What about file systems? What about the files I already have (not installed) on my hdd? How to create a partition for XP without formatting the whole hdd? Can someone please take my hand and guide me through this? Google is no good, since I have no idea what these other guys are talking about.
Old 31-03-2007, 03:25 PM   #2
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

i have found this http://www.istartedsomething.com/20060622/...l-boot-with-xp/
maybe it ll help=)
Old 31-03-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

But that's how to install Vista on an XP machine. For me it's the other way around. I read that this is done differently, but that's all I know. Sorry, but I'm a real moron when it comes to these sort of things
Old 31-03-2007, 08:35 PM   #4
Scatty
Treasure hunter

All I know is how to create a dual-boot installation with Windows 98 SE and Windows XP. First you install Windows 98, on a secondary partition or second HD, then Windows XP on primary partition or primary HD, assuming of course that you intend to use Windows XP primarily and not the other way around. After Windows 98 is installed, Windows XP automatically detects Windows 98 while being installed and sets up the dual-boot menu.
Of course you can also install Windows 98 retrospectively beside the already installed Windows XP, but then to modify the boot menu and Windows XP for correct functioning requires some little more complex work, including the use of a program debug.exe (with which you are better careful if you don't know what you're doing :P).

Maybe this works the same with Vista and XP, too. All you would need is to delete Windows Vista and install XP first, then Vista. No guarantees that Vista will create dual-boot with XP, though, so it's risky. And how to install Windows XP retrospectively I can't really tell you, sorry.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 02-04-2007, 09:27 AM   #5
win98
In the loop on hardware.

You need to install XP to partition and repair Vista well that should do ther trick for making a dual boot.
win98 is offline                         Send a private message to win98
Old 02-04-2007, 09:53 AM   #6
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

i am not sure how this goes in WinXP and Vista (although it should be roughly the same), but in WIN 98 all you had to do was run defrag and then use a program for cretaing partitions (such as partition magic). once they are in place all you had to do was install the second system on the other partitio (i used ot have linux and Win 98 installed)

a note should be added here - the OS has to be installed in the first 1000 sectors of disk (i htink they are sectors). meaning roughly the first 6GB of your disk can contain the operating system, while the rest can't.

so make sure you have some of those first 6GB free on your disk to install a system to. thast might be a problem since vista takes up more than that...

but since Vista is causing problems to you i would recomend removing it completelly i think that might be the easiest way.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 02-04-2007, 02:10 PM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
How do I create a dual boot with XP added? What about file systems? What about the files I already have (not installed) on my hdd? How to create a partition for XP without formatting the whole hdd?[/b]
1. The better idea is to first install XP and then Vista.
2. Vista should be backwards-compatibile. If it supports NTFS filesystem, use that one for the Vista partition as well.
3. Move them to a different HDD or burn to CD/DVD.
4. There _might_ be software capable of doing that, but there is always risk of the entire thing getting skragged.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 02-04-2007, 03:50 PM   #8
Japo
Autonomous human

If you're going to make partitions in your hard drive without formatting it defragment first.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:33 PM   #9
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

So, at first I need 2 partitions, ok. Then I need to install XP on the second partition. Ok. Then I need to "fix" Vista. Uh, ok???. Then there is this issue with backing up some 140 GB of data. That is a problem. As I understand it it's because Vista's file system is not NTFS and XP is unable to communicate with Vista's file system. Any way around this issue?. I mean, to change the file system, I need to format the whole darn thing, meaning I'll lose Vista, right?

2nd thought about NTFS: It seems Vista is using NTFS, and according to Wiki it's the same version that works with XP, but this is not what I heard and read earlier. Now, if XP is "compatible" with Vista's NTFS, then this issue is sorted out, or am I terribly mistaking?
Old 02-04-2007, 07:08 PM   #10
Japo
Autonomous human

I was in the idea that Vista used NTFS, make sure about it. There's no reason not to, FAT16 was the DOS format and FAT32 also a FAT format after all, but NTFS is meant to be more definitive. At least in my XP you can see the format of the hard drive just checking its Properties. I bet you can do the same in Vista, otherwise check the Admin Tools or whatever.

Anyway diferent partitions of the same physical disk could have diferent formats, and there are programs that can partition your disks without destroying data and no need to make backup. Of course none of them are freeware, as far as I know.