Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-07-2006, 01:51 PM   #21
SailorCallie
Forum hobbit

Send a message via Yahoo to SailorCallie Send a message via Skype™ to SailorCallie
Cool

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marinkorpse @ Jul 17 2006, 09:49 AM) [snapback]243607[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
According to all this information this review should be reviewed
Talking seriously, those who want to correct this can write another review or just talk with gamebringer to make it more accurate. And last, let's not be so hard on this guy, he is trying to help.
[/b]
Agreed.
SailorCallie is offline                         Send a private message to SailorCallie
Old 17-07-2006, 02:07 PM   #22
GrimFang4
Forum hobbit

Send a message via ICQ to GrimFang4

Hunh? They didn't upload the copy-protection codes? What's the use, then? I'm very disappointed, so I'll gather them up for you when I get home tonight (assuming they don't appear before then).

Little Fish, there is no way to salvage this review using GameBringer's text as a base.
The game is called "Unlimited Adventures", not "Heirs to Skull Crag" for a reason. That module is just a sample adventure and cannot be representative of the entire game. He even says "Amazingly this game was allowing players to create MODules all the way back in 1993". Does a good review say that something is amazing and then never go into it? Why is it amazing, then? The reason that I, likely correctly, said that GameBringer had probably never played AD&D is because one needs to know how to approach D&D games. "Modern" RPGs like he mentioned may have level scaling, but nobody expects D&D games to because they're trying to be realistic. In D&D, a specific troll should always be that specific troll, not some half-hitpoint version. A party of two should logically never venture out further than a few feet from their starting point (the town) before their first battle unless they desperately want to be killed. Would you do that in real life if you were in this situation? This game tries to be realistic in that there are no physical barriers between you and certain death, you just need to approach danger carefully and realistically in order to avoid death. Also, he says that he "did not try every available race/class combination". If he had ever played AD&D, he wouldn't have said this. He would have known what these races/classes were anyways and could probably get away with saying that he had no need to try them out due to previous knowledge. If anyone knows about this, they'd tell him that there are absolutely no differences between the races at the beginning except for their stats and available classes. When GameBringer mentions the "poor presentation of player statistics", I think he just doesn't understand those stats the way they work in the AD&D world. This game was made for fans of the pre-1993 Gold Box series and of the pen & paper game, not for fans of RPGs made in 2006.

I conclude that he has never played AD&D.

And of course, to irk me beyond belief, he states without even touching the editor,
"It won't be unlimited, but it will be an adventure!"

How can that be defended? He is not just "trying to help", he is trying to gain credit by giving us something that I wouldn't even accept money for.
Old 17-07-2006, 02:24 PM   #23

This editing aspect seems pretty interesting...But it keeps asking me to inset a save disc...my computer doesn't have a floppy disc drive.
Anyone know how I can trick the program into thinking I do?

Old 17-07-2006, 03:30 PM   #24
Shatari

Personally, I loved this game when I was a kid. I've even still got my original copy laying around here somewhere. I spent weeks making a mod for the Book of Swords series (awful as it was, looking back now ). Ah, good times...

I have two main problems with this review though; first, as has already been mentioned, GameBringer didn't address the main feature of the game, which was the builder. Second, he complained about the difficulty being too high, but he only created two characters. I beat it with the max (which I think was either six or eight (it's been a while)), but logically you would need at least 4 in order to really stand a chance of beating this. I think you would find it a lot easier to beat (and a lot more fun) if you played through with a few more characters, GameBringer.

As an aside: GameBringer, if you think the difficulty was too high for your characters, just edit it a bit and make the battles a bit weaker. The beauty of this game is that it is easily scaled simply by altering the levels or the monsters themselves. ^.^

Old 17-07-2006, 04:18 PM   #25
Shrek
Abandonia Ogre

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest_Shoelip_* @ Jul 17 2006, 01:48 PM) [snapback]243590[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Interesting, I just registered here and I can only post (Only even view the entire forums) when I'm not logged in, LOL.
[/b]
Sorry for the , but you have to validate your registration... If you registred yourself with the nick "Shoelip" (as I believe you did), check here and you will see you still belong to the "Validating" member group. You probably don't have a clue about how many people registers in the forums and then just don't "validate" their account, but I can assure you there are lots of them...
Shrek is offline                         Send a private message to Shrek
Old 17-07-2006, 04:33 PM   #26
Guest_Shoelip_*

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Jul 17 2006, 02:24 PM) [snapback]243625[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
This editing aspect seems pretty interesting...But it keeps asking me to inset a save disc...my computer doesn't have a floppy disc drive.
Anyone know how I can trick the program into thinking I do?
[/b]
I haven't done editing yet but in order to save while playing you have to make a folder call "SAVE" in the .DSN folder for the module you're playing.

I'm still waiting for the e-mail, this is certainly one of the longest ten minutes I've ever experienced.

Can anyone suggest a good mod on the UA File Archive? All the ones I've played so far claim to be for level one but then I end up fighting like, level ten enemies in the first battle and die horribly.

Old 17-07-2006, 06:01 PM   #27

wow. i never thought i'd star such a storm by writing what i thought about this review.
however, it's great to see that some people actually agree with me. UA was exceptional with what it was trying to do. so i thank everybody whom posted and has something to say about this subject.
i think you'd be able to find the manual at replacementdocs.com or org or something like that. i had to get it to see an explained version of the edit tools. {although they're not too complicated...}

Old 17-07-2006, 07:16 PM   #28
Taskmaster
Super Freak

If I may speak on behalf of my friend GameBringer.

First, GameBringer apologies for underestimating the importance of the adventure creating portion of the game. He was not as passionate about that 13 year old game as he thought he would be. He told me he realizes he should not have reviewed the game given that he didn't find it fun in this day and age. GameBringer has, in the past, simply uploaded games that he was not having fun with so it could have a full and fair review by some one else.

Some reviews flow out extremely easily when the games are fun for him and he has a full concept of what he wants to say about a game. Others are more forced, as in this case, and it shows. He accepts the critism and will take it into consideration in the future.

GameBringer also admitted that he was some what caught up in the idea of having a GameBringer "week" on his behalf and rushed a reveiw or two to make that happen. Again...lesson learned.

Finally, and GameBringer means this in a sincere way, and not in a rude or spiteful way, but he wanted to ask "How many games have you provided and/or reviewed?" He is simply trying to contribute to Abandonia in the best way that he can. He's not a professional writer, nor is his English perfect. He simply wants to have fun! If isn't fun then he doesn't want to waste his time.

I can vouch for the fact that GameBringer has a slightly warped sense of humor that not everyone will find funny or understand. I can assure you he thought you would be more concerned with getting a game from your past than with the review. I know I download games based on what I remember not what anyone of the reviewers here think about it!

Thanks
Old 17-07-2006, 08:00 PM   #29
GrimFang4
Forum hobbit

Send a message via ICQ to GrimFang4

Taskmaster, I'll accept that you can speak on his behalf, but I'm still not happy about the review. I also understand that it would be nice to have a "My Name" Week. Is it against the rules to have a GameBringer Week with all games that he provided and didn't necessarily review? I feel that it is harder to find the games than it is to review them properly, so I give him credit for that. I've uploaded and reviewed only one game, but since I joined a month ago, I think that's pretty good. I appreciate GameBringer's contributions, but I want to make sure that a poor review will not scare people away from trying the game and I want to promote great reviews that define the game they represent perfectly. Gamers can sometimes force themselves to dive deep into a game if it has a great review. You may download games based on what you remember, but that means you'll never see anything new. What is Abandonia about? Just nostalgia? I don't think so, and therefore the reviews must be good for people to try new things.

So, as you can tell, I want what's best for Abandonia and its users too. What I think is best, on that note, is to replace this review with one that represents Unlimited Adventures correctly. Ask me for a review and you'll hear what FRUA has to offer (don't worry about me overstating, either).
Old 17-07-2006, 08:08 PM   #30
Shatari

Don't worry TaskMaster (or GameBringer), I think most of us who have had any college or high school classes can relate to having to rush out a project before you are truly ready to, and I personally don't fault him for it in the least. As I said though, I think he would have found the game much more enjoyable if he had used a full party and had tried out the game builder, even if only to simply alter the pre-existing campaign.

Directly on topic, here is a link to Autery's "Unlimited Adventures" Page, and while most of the links are dead, it still has some handy stuff (including a link to a spell editor). ^.^