Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-04-2008, 03:53 PM   #831
esgmaster
Super Freak

Default The reason that people seem to think that aliens are their friends

I have found the cause of people thinking that aliens are their friends.
Yes, they are perfectly sane. Has an alien ship hovered strangely over the organization's building? Has it looked as if it was watering the building? If so then they are not friends of the CoS, but rather they have been hit by "Micronoid Rain". The only way to solve this is to attack their enemies. (which is usually Psyke.)
esgmaster is offline                         Send a private message to esgmaster
Old 03-04-2008, 04:17 PM   #832
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

[quote]I have found the cause of people thinking that aliens are their friends.
Yes, they are perfectly sane. Has an alien ship hovered strangely over the organization's building? Has it looked as if it was watering the building? If so then they are not friends of the CoS, but rather they have been hit by "Micronoid Rain".[quote]
After an alien ship hovered over a building, you should always send in a strike squad to investigate for alien activity. Then keep an eye on the infiltration graphs for the factions who own the neighboring buildings, and investigate these if the graph as much as twitches.
Quote:
The only way to solve this is to attack their enemies. (which is usually Psyke.)
Did you ever get an organization back from under alien control that way?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 04-04-2008, 01:00 AM   #833
esgmaster
Super Freak

[quote=The Fifth Horseman;322621][quote]I have found the cause of people thinking that aliens are their friends.
Yes, they are perfectly sane. Has an alien ship hovered strangely over the organization's building? Has it looked as if it was watering the building? If so then they are not friends of the CoS, but rather they have been hit by "Micronoid Rain".
Quote:
After an alien ship hovered over a building, you should always send in a strike squad to investigate for alien activity. Then keep an eye on the infiltration graphs for the factions who own the neighboring buildings, and investigate these if the graph as much as twitches.

Did you ever get an organization back from under alien control that way?
No, but you can get allied status.
esgmaster is offline                         Send a private message to esgmaster
Old 08-04-2008, 12:53 AM   #834
esgmaster
Super Freak

I have recently found out there is one organization that you can free from the Micronoid rain:Mutant Alliance, before you start the food chamber mission. Here are armor hexes:
Megapol:3D 64 3C 3D 3F 3E 40
Marsec:3E 52 46 47 48 4A
X-COM:5F 62 41 42 44 43 45
Here are the alien psi-defense stats:
Multiworm egg:100
Brainsucker:100
Multiworm:75
Hyperworm:70
Chrysalis:100
Anthropod:40
Skeletoid:55
Spitter:100
Popper:100
Megaspawn:100
Psimorph:80
Queenspawn:90
Micronoid:85
Here are the alien attack stats:
Megaspawn's Disruptor:70
Megaspawn's Launcher:100
Spitter's Vomit Funnel:34
Multiworm's Spit:36
Alien Egg's Vomit Funnel:30
Hyperworm's Bite:40
Queenspawn's Tentacles:255
Popper's Bomb:130
Here are the number of aliens in each alien building:
Incubator Chamber:
Alien Eggs:4
Hyperworms:6
Chrysali:12
Anthropods:2
Micronoid:6
Spawning Chamber:
Chrysali:6
Spitters:3
Poppers:2
Megaspawn:1
Food Chamber:
Hyperworms:12
Megapod Chamber:
Spitters:2
Sleeping Chamber:
Brainsuckers:6
Psimorphs:2
Organic Factory:
Alien Farm:
Skeletoids:6
Control Chamber:
Maintenance Factory:
Skeletoids:6
Spitters:2
Dimension Gate Generator:
Chrysali:18
Spitters:6
Poppers:6
Brainsucker Pods:15
Sell all smoke grenades that you get because all aliens are immune to smoke. (why do you think they carry Megapol smoke grenades around?)
Old 13-04-2008, 12:11 AM   #835
esgmaster
Super Freak

I have found out how people get the alien equipment you haven't sold. They have either been hit with micronoid rain or are under alien control. I have also tried to find ways to control aliens permanently...without success. If you need a particular game stat let me know, and I'll get it.
Old 13-04-2008, 12:21 AM   #836
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

What do you mean by "micronoid rain"? I am guessing you're refering to the alien ships transport beam, but that rain thing really sound silly.
Old 13-04-2008, 12:35 AM   #837
esgmaster
Super Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
What do you mean by "micronoid rain"? I am guessing you're refering to the alien ships transport beam, but that rain thing really sound silly.
Micronoid rain is when a ufo goes over a building and looks as if it's a ufo rain cloud. ("Micronoid rain" is the name from the game's coding.) Micronoid rain occurs on a difficulty other than the easiest difficulty. The transport beam is different from the micronoid.

Last edited by esgmaster; 13-04-2008 at 03:22 AM.
Old 15-04-2008, 12:58 AM   #838
esgmaster
Super Freak

I've found some of the unofficial stuff:
The following people have been reported dead:
has been reported dead.
Dank Dingy Reasonable OK Nice Good Pleasant Pleasing Expensive Luxurious Exclusive
Observation Duty
Searching for
Tailing
Spying
Zorium
#The applicants were given a variety of agility and speed tests; the combined result is shown.
#Stamina was tested with an 'until you drop' style assault course.
#Reaction times were carefully tested, using both electronic and traditional methods.
#A selection of exercises were monitored to obtain the strength rating of the applicants.
#This is an initial estimate of the applicants' psychic abilities.
#The applicants were tested with a selection of traditional firearms to see how they would fare in a basic sniper situation.
#The applicants were tested using advanced simulator technologies; a combined result is shown for on road/off road/flying vehicles.
#Perception is the ability to spot small, but occasionally vital, details that others may miss; it was tested using an extensive observation test.
#Biochemistry - the ability to perform research furthering understanding of the chemistry of living organisms.
The values shown below were obtained from the governing body for Biochemistry.
#Quantum Physics - the ability to perform research leading to a greater understanding of the area of physics exploited by Alien technologies.
The values shown below were obtained from the governing body for physics.
#Engineering skills - repairing cars/flying vehicles, as well as the production of weapons or devices.
Piloting Perception
#There is no help available for this item.
#Keeps the changes you have made and returns to the previous screen.
#Cancels (forgets) any changes you have made on this screen and returns to the previous screen.
#This displays a list of agents available for recruitment, or currently employed at the selected base.
#This displays a list of engineers available for recruitment, or currently employed at the selected base.
#This displays a list of Bio-Scientists available for recruitment, or currently employed at the selected base.
#This displays a list of Quantum-Scientists available for recruitment, or currently employed at the selected base.
#When the agility button is set the bar graphs show the relative agility of the listed agents.
#When the stamina button is set the bar graphs show the relative stamina of the listed agents.
#When the reactions button is set the bar graphs show the relative reaction ratings of the listed agents.
#When the strength button is set the bar graphs show the relative strengths of the listed agents.
#When the Psi button is set the bar graphs show the relative Psionic ability of the listed agents.
#When the accuracy button is set the bar graphs show the relative ability to use ranged weapons for the listed agents.
#When the piloting button is set the bar graphs show the relative driving/flying skills of the listed agents.
#When this button is set, the graph shows the relative perception levels of the listed scientists.
#When this button is set, the graph shows the Biochemistry competency level of the listed scientists.
#When this button is set, the graph shows the Quantum mechanics competency levels of the listed scientists.
#When this button is set, the graph shows the engineering skill level of the listed scientists.
You do not have enough parts to make this item.
#You need to select the agents you want to put on observation duty.
Weekly Salary
Alien corpse found.
The owner does not wish to sell this building.
An illegal road vehicle has been detected.
Staff resign at:
Resignations:
Alien attacks VIP.
Crazed VIP attacks VIP.
Dimension gate spotted.
Acquisition of:
Acquired by:
To secure and research large or dangerous Alien life forms.
A device based on disruption field research which could be used to disable Alien disruption shields.
Transports a vehicle between Dimensions.
We must discover a way to beat the Aliens once and for all
Dimension Shifter
Dimension Destabiliser
The Senate considers X-COM to be a worthy ally.
The Senate is content with our mutually beneficial relationship.
The Senate is less favorable to the X-COM organization and thereis a danger that the relationship could deteriorate.
The Senate is now openly hostile to X-COM and no further funding will be available.
Ammo Clip
Structure Probe
Vortex Analyser
Multitracker
Mind Shield
Dimension Force Field
Adjust Wage
No advice at this time.
You have to reduce wages to become profitable.
You should take on more staff if you wish to be productive.
Increase wages to attract more staff.
Cut wages to improve your profit margin.
Economic Information
Current mean wage
Mean income per head:
Fixed costs at building:
Weekly revenue generated:
Current staff level:
Aliens in building
Dimension:
Charted Gates:
Uncharted Gates:
Total Gate count:
Reload time:
Blast radius:
Laser guided
Recharge rate:
Enter defensive diplomatic negotiations with:
Diplomacy
Enter aggressive diplomatic negotiations with:
is currently owned by:
Function:
Bidding
Would you like to take part in this auction?
Building up for auction:
Auctioned by:
Bidding begins at: $
Going...
Last chance to bid...
Gone!!
: sold to:
No buyers found for this building.
Cost to recruit all applicants:
DIPLOMATIC RIFT
An alliance with X-COM has been requested by:
Dimension shifts
Unclassified
Apprentice Worker Admin Security Management Director President
Wage: Residence: Unknown Hang out: Work Place:
VIP spotted: Spotted by Agent: . Do you wish to tail this VIP?
VIP spotted
Diplomatic relations for:
Espionage by Agent:
Do you wish to continue espionage?
Diplomatic relations determined
Item required:
Amount required
Amount in stores
Orders Required
Observe VIP's
Dimension Map
Spy on Organization
VIP's
Psionic Blast
It's both sad and interesting to know the stuff that didn't make it into the game, and I belive micronoid rain is a unofficial feature. Oh yeah, and I've finished a single mission against 30 megaspawns
Old 02-07-2008, 07:38 PM   #839
Deathsangel

Okay, I just got in to the X-com series though I did not do X-Com Terror of the Deep, seeing the reviews. Though with X-COM: UFO Defense I have no problems (currently genius level, never a soldier lost, now in april and making my first avenger, having plasming beams, laser rifles, heavy plasma and personal armor), I do have some difficulties with the x-com 3 game.

I have read a few of the post, but they generally deal with later in the game seeing all kinds of weapons I haven't got yet and fighting styles in the air (I do not look at ground combat, for as with X-Com: UFO Defense - I have never any losses (turn-style combat)).

The following points I wanted to ask:

I) I get a report every day of my score, with also a balance count. This states that my money should go down due to base maintance and salaries. I am fine with it, but .... it does not happen. My bank account the same, is this because I play currently at easy (as to learn the game) or is this later deducted at an end of the week

2) I see no income. Now I noticed I should have it according to the UFOpedia, but I only get it from heavily raiding the cult of Sirius and selling the loot the money. Not that I loose money, due to bug 1 but still.

3) What are ways to get organisations to look at you differently. I only can get them angry (invading buildings in search for aliens due to 19% infiltration (apparently bad idea)). I have noticed the bribe button, but I wonder if their isn't a more better/normal friendlier way (besides the tip I read of letting Aliens wrack buildings as you fly low). For some reason the mutant allience is happy with me, but I have 2 hybrids and 3 androids but S.E.L.F. is not impressed

4) The speed of the game. Now my computer isn't that quick I give in, but I can run games like BG2 without slowing down, but one battle here takes me more than an hour, with alien/enemy turns lasting 2 minutes or so. And civilians when in sight... oh brother.
(Dosbox setting -> cycles:max (auto lowered the speed even more))

5) UFO intrusions score incredibly high and they are gone in a flash, with the current map. I was extremelly lucky to down 2 (well 1 got destroyed). This only works by sending in every air unit of the start of the game (probably heavily laughable) - meaning the interceptor and two hovercars. The rest comes to late. which means my personal carrier joins the fight.

6) At novice for my first 2 days of getting the controls right megapol helped to down UFO's. In easy they just... are never in sight when UFO's are around. Is this correct? Or just coincidence? I ask this as the people say megapol helps to down them, but if they stop already at easy...

7) I do a lot of raids to get points per day as there seems to little to score by otherwise and alien intrusions score quickly down as with forementioned 5 & no help due to 6 they happen a lot without me downing them.

That was all for now.

P.s. I noticed a lot of other spin-offs on Wikipedia when you search for X-Com: UFO Defense for those interrested.
Deathsangel is offline                         Send a private message to Deathsangel
Old 02-07-2008, 09:33 PM   #840
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
I) I get a report every day of my score, with also a balance count. This states that my money should go down due to base maintance and salaries. I am fine with it, but .... it does not happen. My bank account the same, is this because I play currently at easy (as to learn the game) or is this later deducted at an end of the week
This is deducted immediately.

Quote:
2) I see no income. Now I noticed I should have it according to the UFOpedia, but I only get it from heavily raiding the cult of Sirius and selling the loot the money. Not that I loose money, due to bug 1 but still.
Income enters your account at the end of each week.

Quote:
I only can get them angry (invading buildings in search for aliens due to 19% infiltration (apparently bad idea)).
Newb error, one which I also made the first time. Raid building = attack the organization. Invesitgate = search for aliens.

Quote:
I wonder if their isn't a more better/normal friendlier way (besides the tip I read of letting Aliens wrack buildings as you fly low).
IIRC, you could do it by attacking the organization's enemies.

Quote:
The speed of the game. Now my computer isn't that quick I give in, but I can run games like BG2 without slowing down, but one battle here takes me more than an hour, with alien/enemy turns lasting 2 minutes or so. And civilians when in sight... oh brother.
(Dosbox setting -> cycles:max (auto lowered the speed even more))
That is worth a topic by itself. First, before running the game you need to shut down every program you've got running in the background. EVERY ONE, that includes virus scanners, instant messengers and whatnot.
I go as far as to shutting down Windows Explorer, for that extra percent of boost.

Second, it takes some messing with the DOSBox config to get the max efficiency. I'll name the settings, but they're a little scattered inside DOSBox.conf, so you'll have to find them yourself

For the graphics, we have to make the game run in fullscreen, at its native resolution and without any scalers or aspect correction (neither is neccesary here). Also, Frameskip must be set to at least 1. (2 is faster but the graphics may become a little choppy):
fullscreen=true
fullresolution=640x480
output=ddraw
aspect=false
scaler=none
frameskip=1

Second, disable all unneccesary sound emulation components. It's a small gain, but one nonetheless
mpu401=none
gus=false
tandy=off
disney=false

Third, you need to set
core=dynamic
cycles=20000
cycleup=1000
cycledown=1000
Play around with increasing the cycles value during the game to see what's the max your machine can handle, then change cycles=20000 to that value (in my case, about 35000 does the trick). The max setting auto-detects the maximum speed, but is far from perfect - manually adjusting the value got X-Com 3, Quake and Duke Nukem 3D running much faster than on the automatically detected maximum for my machine.

Sound lagging can be fixed by adjusting blocksize and prebuffer settings in the config file. Forgot to mention this part before so I'm editing it in. These values were recommended by Data to someone else a long time ago, but work for me just fine:
blocksize=4096
prebuffer=30

Quote:
5) UFO intrusions score incredibly high and they are gone in a flash, with the current map. I was extremelly lucky to down 2 (well 1 got destroyed). This only works by sending in every air unit of the start of the game (probably heavily laughable) - meaning the interceptor and two hovercars. The rest comes to late. which means my personal carrier joins the fight.
Hoverbikes. Use them. Love them.
They're cheap and expendable, so you can use them to swarm the enemy.
Also, don't forget to arm yourself with some better weaponry whenever possible.

Quote:
6) At novice for my first 2 days of getting the controls right megapol helped to down UFO's. In easy they just... are never in sight when UFO's are around. Is this correct? Or just coincidence? I ask this as the people say megapol helps to down them, but if they stop already at easy...
This is more or less correct. Megapol may assist you on Novice (and probably higher difficulties too, except less frequently).

Quote:
7) I do a lot of raids to get points per day as there seems to little to score by otherwise and alien intrusions score quickly down as with forementioned 5 & no help due to 6 they happen a lot without me downing them.
Don't forget that by raiding a corp you'll earn yourself it's hostility.
But - and here's a trick to massive cash, as long as you use real-time combat for this - if you're allied with a corp and your attack is ONLY done using Stun Grapples as weapons, you're going to get plenty of loot without any drop in your relationship with the corp. The three most frequently suggested are Marsec, Megapol and Government. Also, do the same to gangs - Psyclone implants can be sold for major cash.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 27-08-2008 at 12:05 PM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman