Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-01-2006, 10:34 PM   #11
SupSuper
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by plix+Jan 16 2006, 08:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (plix @ Jan 16 2006, 08:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chickenman
I'm looking now but I think Packard Bell say Partition Magic can cause Partition coruption.

Yes Partition Magic can cause coruption, but I think that may only be caused by some one who does not have a Master DVD \ CD's to restore it..
Partition Magic is the best there is. Hands-down. If you're worried about PM causing troubles then you're rather SOL, or you're deluding yourself about the quality of other tools. [/b][/quote]
Personally I just opted to not mess with partitions anymore after PM permanently damaged my partitions twice in a row
SupSuper is offline                         Send a private message to SupSuper
Old 17-01-2006, 10:11 AM   #12
chickenman
Hero Gamer

Well it looks like Packard Bell use, what they call a Tattoo which is stored on my drive C: (30GB) if the Tattoo is removed the restore disk will no longer work, so then you have to install it off from the CD, which is a complex process or so it looks to me

The Tattoo is also stored on sector 0 of the HDD so I'm not sure but won't over writing the Master Boot Record delete this ?

And the last place it's stored is in the BIOS.

They just have to make life harder for us all, and the thing I don't like is they don't tell us about it, I only found out about it from looking in the Packard Bell forum. :ranting:

So now I have to go learn how to restore \ backup this Tattoo / Exths thing before I can even install Linux !!
chickenman is offline                         Send a private message to chickenman
Old 27-01-2006, 03:13 PM   #13
rlbell
Game freak

I solved most of my partitioning problems by buying a professional grade, disk imaging tool (I suffered two hard disk failures, and I vowed never to lose my data again). I create a backup of each partion on the disk, and then use the disk utilities from the hard disk manufacturer to repartition my hard drive. Finally, I load the backup image(s) into the repartitioned hard drive. This is not cheap, or terribly convenient, but it is nearly bulletproof.
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell
Old 31-01-2006, 05:54 PM   #14
chickenman
Hero Gamer

Well it's working now, I... got a Windows XP pro disk, and installed it leaveing space for the Linux partition, after that I installed ubuntu Linux 5.10.

Then when it tryed to boot Linux it got stuck on HotPlug, so I had to boot it in single user mode with "ro single init=/bin/bash" to get to the terminal, after that I had to remove HotPlug from the boot process in "/etc/rcS.d/".

once I had it booted, I then had problems with the internet, so I had to go into "/etc/network/interfaces" and change "map hotplug" to "map eth0".

All this take me about two days, and for some reason I have no sound
but at least it works now.
chickenman is offline                         Send a private message to chickenman
Old 03-02-2006, 03:11 PM   #15
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I know your problem is solved chickenman, but I just found a great OpenSource partition resizer that, allthough it has not nearly as much options as Partition Magic, offers a lot allready: Parition Logic

I justed wanted to share the link k:
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 03-02-2006, 03:36 PM   #16
chickenman
Hero Gamer

Cool, looks great k: