Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-04-2005, 08:08 PM   #741
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharp@Apr 3 2005, 09:03 PM
Because everyone loves UFO. It absolutely kicks behind. Also you can continually get loads of strategies and and other quirky bits in UFO. I mean Civ2 is a great game, not much to talk about though, except asking people to play MP.

However UFO. You can make stories out of the game. Try different stuff. Civ 2 is pretty er.... samey, build up cities, get huge army, press cheat button, crush middle age England with WWII Russia.
Yea...
When talking about Ufo can someone give me an advice how to kill mutons without alien techs....I have no problems with other alien(not even with etherals) but I after first bitter experience I just keep fleeing before them.But now they have a base right in my behind and I MUST care for them...

To axident: It happens often.I have terror missions with two sectoids and about 10 cyberdiscs and also one where there was a LOADS of chrysalids and I couldnt find one snakeman(chrysalids also massacred most of civilians....so really HORDES of them)
Lizard is offline                         Send a private message to Lizard
Old 03-04-2005, 08:43 PM   #742
axident
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizard+Apr 3 2005, 08:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lizard @ Apr 3 2005, 08:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Sharp@Apr 3 2005, 09:03 PM
Because everyone loves UFO. It absolutely kicks behind. Also you can continually get loads of strategies and and other quirky bits in UFO. I mean Civ2 is a great game, not much to talk about though, except asking people to play MP.

However UFO. You can make stories out of the game. Try different stuff. Civ 2 is pretty er.... samey, build up cities, get huge army, press cheat button, crush middle age England with WWII Russia.
Yea...
When talking about Ufo can someone give me an advice how to kill mutons without alien techs....I have no problems with other alien(not even with etherals) but I after first bitter experience I just keep fleeing before them.But now they have a base right in my behind and I MUST care for them...

To axident: It happens often.I have terror missions with two sectoids and about 10 cyberdiscs and also one where there was a LOADS of chrysalids and I couldnt find one snakeman(chrysalids also massacred most of civilians....so really HORDES of them) [/b][/quote]
Try camping the green room with lots of Autocannons and whatever ammo is good against them (aren't mutons supposed to be extra good against armor piercing or something?). Just circle the gravlifts and shoot down into their heads, where there isn't any armor. They have tons of health, though.. see my previous post. You can also drop lots of high explosives down the gravlift.

Best of all is to let the base sit there until you get Heavy Plasma or something.
axident is offline                         Send a private message to axident
Old 03-04-2005, 08:45 PM   #743
axident
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharp@Apr 3 2005, 08:03 PM

Civ2 is probably as or more complicated than UFO. It has a TON of quirks as well, including how trade gives you tech as well as gold, many complex ways it determines trade amount = you can get 2-3 techs per turn with 100% taxation rate. Or how cities grow by 1 per turn when in celebration mode + democracy or republic. Civ2 is at least UFO's equal, and I personally don't cheat or anything.. it also has lots of scenarios that people make, like WWII scenarios, etc. Too bad UFO doesn't have widely-available scenario editors.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:50 PM   #744
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by axident+Apr 3 2005, 09:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (axident @ Apr 3 2005, 09:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Lizard@Apr 3 2005, 08:08 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Sharp
Quote:
@Apr 3 2005, 09:03 PM

Yea...

To axident: It happens often.I have terror missions with two sectoids and about 10 cyberdiscs and also one where there was a LOADS of chrysalids and I couldnt find one snakeman(chrysalids also massacred most of civilians....so really HORDES of them)
Try camping the green room with lots of Autocannons and whatever ammo is good against them (aren't mutons supposed to be extra good against armor piercing or something?). Just circle the gravlifts and shoot down into their heads, where there isn't any armor. They have tons of health, though.. see my previous post. You can also drop lots of high explosives down the gravlift.

Best of all is to let the base sit there until you get Heavy Plasma or something. [/b][/quote]
I play without any things you can resreach...(except avanger for finall mission)
Personal challange to maintain my interests to Ufo...
I will try it...
It is really only alien type that makes me problems...Even etherals are OK when compared to mutons :angry:
Old 03-04-2005, 09:01 PM   #745
axident
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizard@Apr 3 2005, 08:50 PM
I play without any things you can resreach...(except avanger for finall mission)
I will try it...
It is really only alien type that makes me problems...Even etherals are OK when compared to mutons :angry:
I'm pretty sure that Mutons are anti-AP ammo, and that could be your problem, because Ethereal armor is as thick or thicker than Muton armor, making them badasses even though they have 70 less health. In that case, I stand by the autocannons and high explosives packs (drop one per turn or something). I also hope you have high-psi guys... that's tough, to forego all alien tech, esp. the armor and HP. I assume you make an exception for Firestorms and Plasma Beams, else it'll take forever to chase down UFOs and you won't be able to bring down the big ones. I also don't know what you expect to do against Sectopods with only earthling technology. Lots of lasers could do it, but they're a pain in the behind without blaster bombs.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:07 PM   #746
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by axident+Apr 3 2005, 10:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (axident @ Apr 3 2005, 10:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lizard@Apr 3 2005, 08:50 PM
I will try it...
I'm pretty sure that Mutons are anti-AP ammo, and that could be your problem, because Ethereal armor is as thick or thicker than Muton armor, making them badasses even though they have 70 less health. In that case, I stand by the autocannons and high explosives packs (drop one per turn or something). I also hope you have high-psi guys... that's tough, to forego all alien tech, esp. the armor and HP. I assume you make an exception for Firestorms and Plasma Beams, else it'll take forever to chase down UFOs and you won't be able to bring down the big ones. I also don't know what you expect to do against Sectopods with only earthling technology. Lots of lasers could do it, but they're a pain in the behind without blaster bombs. [/b][/quote]
Nope...
Just interceptors with avalanches
I know it is suicidal but....
Etherals arent that big problem.They have too less health to withstand against grenades or big firepower.
I use kámikadze action against sectopods (a guy with four primed HE :evil: )But if I used it against mutons I will run out of people really fast.
It is playable
Old 03-04-2005, 09:49 PM   #747
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Lizard: I usually dealt with mutons using only laser rifles. Takes several hits though, normally about 4. But that was on the UFO version with only 1 difficulty level, so it could be nearly impossible on superhuman.
Since mutons are so resistant to AP ammo, what about trying rocket launchers for a change?
Old 03-04-2005, 09:54 PM   #748
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by another_guest@Apr 3 2005, 10:49 PM
Lizard: I usually dealt with mutons using only laser rifles. Takes several hits though, normally about 4. But that was on the UFO version with only 1 difficulty level, so it could be nearly impossible on superhuman.
Since mutons are so resistant to AP ammo, what about trying rocket launchers for a change?
I use always autocannon one hand-rocket launchers in other...My soldiers have usually boosted strenght
The problem with RL is one shot,and fact that if you wont hit mutton directly,he will simply ignore the explosion.Anyway,only thing(for earth tech) that killed mutton in one hit was HE...
Old 03-04-2005, 11:49 PM   #749
Jman4117
Game freak

Laser rifle autofire to the back, HE ammo in autocannons, large rokets, HE paks, and stun bombs. HE damage is dealt to the weak armour underneith giving it an edge.
Jman4117 is offline                         Send a private message to Jman4117
Old 04-04-2005, 07:06 AM   #750
Juan Rayo

Whatever happened to Avenger 2?

“New Albion” complex. X-COM central Command. January 03, 2000. 1100 hours.
---
Aide: sir? Commander Rayo sir?

Commander Rayo: hey, what is it soldier?

Aide: well, it’s the damnest thing sir, begging you pardon, but we haven’t heard from the “Santa María” in a couple of hours…

Commander Rayo: the “Santa María”? that’s Coronel Ruhskin’s ship. (scratches chin) I dunno, why is this a problem? That’s a very capable crew he has, and the ship is a brand new AVENGER class craft, pride of the force.

Aide: well, that’s just the thing sir, they were called upon Nairobi to stop an ATerror operation in progress, they downed an alien craft and decided to land and mope up. Last we heard, they were in site and ready to proceed, and then we just lost them…

C, Rayo: (Menacingly) “Lost” them?

Aide: (gulp) er, well, yes sir. No radio contact, no static, nada. But our scanners don’t pick up any residual earth treated E-115 radiation, so we don’t think it was destroyed.

C. Rayo: hmmmm. Call SurafriCOM, get them on alert, tell them to send a couple of Firestorms, do some air recon. It IS strange… right now, we can handle pretty much ANYTHING those sneaky bastards can throw at us, even the Mutons are no match for a high ranked psi officer like Rushkin… so what could be the hold up? *shrugs)
Well, you have your orders (starts walking away).

Aide: yes sir!

C. Rayo: (turns around) one more thing kid. If you have no news in an hour, let me know… and tell the chief down in engineering to start prepping the “Batavia”, we might want to take her out ourselves and visit Nairobi…

Aide: yes sir.

C. Rayo: hmm, odd indeed. Whatever happened to Avenger 2?
--

I'll tell you guys what happened. ETHEREALS and Sectopoids happened
I finally got a signal from an Ethereal ship, attempting to carry out a terror mission in Africa. Dispatched and Avenger with some troops, I dunno, not as good as my "elite" forces but pretty good anyway, psi trained and experienced soldiers them all. They didn't have a chance.

First Sectopoids went down fast, couple of plasma and laser shots mixed brought them down, and I even mind controlled one of them (plus an Ethereal) and brought them right in front of my troops to be shot at short range. Then, all of a sudden, my people were being shot from every direction, and 3 of them got mind controlled (in the same turn, mind you) so they killed most of my surviving crew. It was over in a turn. ARGHHH!!! (bangs head against wall some more).

I'll be sendind in my elite team this time, see how THEY fare. Any tips on how to best fight these critters are, as always, welcomed. Thanks.
Juan Rayo is offline                         Send a private message to Juan Rayo