Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner > Programming
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-02-2005, 11:47 AM   #1
Mardi-Gras
Forum hobbit

Thumbs up

So i'm currently looking to purchase 3D Rad - a games creator package. But I've been trying to find some unbiased opinions. Does anyone have any experience of using 3D Rad? I've tinkered with the free software, and quite like what I'm seeing, but I'm curious if there's a more intuitive engine out there. Any thoughts on suggestions for alternatives, or preferences (Irrlicht etc)?

Just to specify, I'm talking about packages that can cater for any genre of game rather than specific types (which rules out RPG Maker).
Mardi-Gras is offline                         Send a private message to Mardi-Gras
Old 10-02-2005, 05:31 PM   #2
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

Never heard of 3D Rad, but there're Blitzbasicand Darkbasic. The site of Blitzbasic's got some troubles at the moment, but there's Blitzbasic.de, .nl, etc as well.
Kon-Tiki is offline                         Send a private message to Kon-Tiki
Old 11-02-2005, 02:09 PM   #3
Mardi-Gras
Forum hobbit

Thanks for the response, Kon-Tiki. Was being to think nobody liked me or my stupid post.

I have DarkBasic, and I think my one issue with the package is I find it a little bit 'clunky', for want of a better word.

3D Rad seems more intuitive, and more approachable from what I can gather from the 3D Lite version I've been tinkering with. I have a graphic designer friend who I'm interested working with, and the nature of 3D Rad involves importing objects from your favourite rendering package, and using a Basic scripting language to define the 'brain' of that object - how it will react given a certain circumstance, accuracy of fire, response time etc. But the interface can be more 'point and click' than programming. If anyone's interested, check it out here. Think it'd be useful for anyone with limited or no programming experience who wants to create 3D (or 2D) games. Might interest anyone like me too, who can program, but are too lazy to start from scratch - - or who wants to involve a creative friend who's terrified of programming into the game creation process.

Would appreciate your thoughts.
Mardi-Gras is offline                         Send a private message to Mardi-Gras