Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 18-02-2008, 02:52 PM   #11
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Midget View Post
Silly question: Is the CD drive designated d in windows? If not, change the last of the 2 "d"s in your mount command to match the designated letter.
Also crossed my mind, but he said he installed 'in dosbox', so the drive letters must match.

It's or what ay2516 said, or a bad copy -(the game does a CD check, and looks for the correct label amongst others)-.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 19-02-2008, 06:10 AM   #12
Scorn

Still, I don't get it.

It's by the way not a pure Millenia cd. It's an old CD from a PC magazine and it used to run on my 90 Mhz PC back then. The CD itself is not scratched or something (strange thing, concidering how often I needed to get a new StarCraft CD); but still - it does not work.
The question if I install the game with the right drive letter seems to miss the problem; if this is the issue I would just need to install and run at once. But that's not the case. AND the game does not run from the CD itself.

Somehow DosBox is not convinced that my cd actually IS a cd.

Would anyone by the way have a clue how to properly run it with VDMSound? I keep getting this annoying EMM problem.
Scorn is offline                         Send a private message to Scorn
Old 19-02-2008, 07:25 AM   #13
The Coop
Super Freak

Send a message via AIM to The Coop

If it was an original Millenia CD, then whatever it is that DOSBox is looking for would be placed on the CD a certain way (a lot games have their files right there for browsing when you pop the disc in). But, since you got this CD from a magazine, where CD's usually have subfolders with other programs and freebies, are the program files for Millenia inside a separate folder on the disc? If so, that could be throwing the program off, as it may not know to look in that folder on the disc for the needed info (the executable may not be modified for that disc's structure, and the executable's getting 'lost' in a sense). It's just a guess, and could mean that you need to mount the CD-Rom drive with some extra info to point to that folder on the disc.

Anyway...

- Have you tried running the game with any 'exe' file, and not just the 'bat' file?

- Is the CD drive you're putting the game in, the first CD drive on your PC? By this I mean, the letter assigned to the drive. I ask because I had a problem a while back where I installed a game just fine, but when I tried to play, it couldn't find the game CD to read it. The problem was that the CD-Rom drive I installed the game from (Drive K), wasn't the first CD-Rom on my PC. Drive F was, and that was the drive DOSBox kept looking for the CD on, even with the proper mounting in the config file. Puzzled the hell out of me.

So if this is the case, try mounting whichever CD-Rom has the lowest letter as your CD-Rom drive in the DOSBox config file, and install the game from that one. See if it's detected.

- This will sound dumb, but it's worked for me. Uninstall the CD-Rom drive that you're using for DOSBox. Once this is done, reboot your PC, and let the computer reinstall the drive for you. Sometimes the files get a little out of sorts, and this puts everything back in like a fresh install. It helped me with my Plutonium Pak problem, where the disc wasn't being detected a lot.

- Try this. I found this listed on some obscure site (black BG with orange letters = eye strain)...

First, delete your Millienia folder, so it can be installed from scratch. Then, download a program called FakeCD, and place a copy of the FakeCD executable in the same directory as Millenia's _ech.exe file. Once that's done, and Millenia is installed, start DOSBox, and type this...

C: *hit Enter*
cd millenia (or whatever the folder's name is) *hit Enter*
fakecd c:\ *Millenia's install folder* /L:f (or whatever the CD-Rom letter is you mounted in DOSBox *hit Enter*
_setup.exe (to set up your sound) *hit Enter*
_ech.exe *hit Enter*

Hopefully, that'll trick the game and it'll start if nothing else has worked.

Last edited by The Coop; 19-02-2008 at 07:30 AM.
The Coop is offline                         Send a private message to The Coop