Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
stinkywizzleteats

Default Building a computer just for DOS games?

I consider myself a computer nerd but am by no means a programmer. Current computer stats:

Pentium 4 , 3.19 GHz
2.98 GB RAM
And I'll have 1000 gig of memory as soon as I install this new drive..

Is there a relatively easy way to partition my computer to give me the option to load DOS or the current os (XP) ?

My skill level is much higher than the general populace, but at the same time.. not as good as many people on this board. I just spent 2 hours trying to get Warhammer Shadow Of The Horned Rat to work and I simply couldn't even after downloading a PS1 version of the game and trying (and failing) to run an emulator.

Would a better solution be to build my own computer or acquire a cheapo off ebay from 10+ years ago? In my ideal world I would do this on a newer laptop so I could carry it on trips.
stinkywizzleteats is offline                         Send a private message to stinkywizzleteats
Old 07-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
Professor Oak
Home Sweet Abandonia

May I suggest using DOSBox for your venture instead?
Professor Oak is offline                         Send a private message to Professor Oak
Old 07-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
stinkywizzleteats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Oak View Post
May I suggest using DOSBox for your venture instead?
Point 1

Numerous games no amount of tweaking will fix the lack of sound. Ravenloft Strahd's Possession is one I could not make all the sound work on (I did get music going). Another is Master of Magic. To its credit some games do work awesome on it. Darksun Shattered Lands is one such game.

Point 2

Some games don't work in it. Warhammer Shadow of the Horned Rat is one.
stinkywizzleteats is offline                         Send a private message to stinkywizzleteats
Old 07-11-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Would a better solution be to build my own computer or acquire a cheapo off ebay from 10+ years ago?
Either of those. Trying to run DOS on a modern computer is unlikely to work, seeing how many things have changed. The size of your hard drives alone may be an issue.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 07-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkywizzleteats View Post
Point 1
Ravenloft Strahd's Possession is one I could not make all the sound work on (I did get music going).
How strange, works perfect here, music, sound effects, voices ......

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 09-11-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
Kugerfang
_r.u.s.s. changed it :'(

If you do wanna go ahead with a dedicated DOS computer, Ebay is your best bet. Try looking around thrift shops as well.

-Terry Pratchett
Kugerfang is offline                         Send a private message to Kugerfang
Old 12-11-2010, 10:58 PM   #7
xtgold

Lightbulb hd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkywizzleteats View Post
I consider myself a computer nerd but am by no means a programmer. Current computer stats:

Pentium 4 , 3.19 GHz
2.98 GB RAM
And I'll have 1000 gig of memory as soon as I install this new drive..

Is there a relatively easy way to partition my computer to give me the option to load DOS or the current os (XP) ?

My skill level is much higher than the general populace, but at the same time.. not as good as many people on this board. I just spent 2 hours trying to get Warhammer Shadow Of The Horned Rat to work and I simply couldn't even after downloading a PS1 version of the game and trying (and failing) to run an emulator.

Would a better solution be to build my own computer or acquire a cheapo off ebay from 10+ years ago? In my ideal world I would do this on a newer laptop so I could carry it on trips.
Hardrives are inexpensive now.
Just swap another one in with dos 7.10 when you want to play dos games.
The biggest issue is getting the soundcard to work.
I had to use a pc that still had an isa slot and I used a sb awe64 for sound.
An 80gig or so drive holds a lot of dos games.
xtgold is offline                         Send a private message to xtgold
Old 13-11-2010, 02:43 AM   #8
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

I don't understand why you would go through all that trouble just to play Dos games in real Dos. Dosbox does the job fine, and you dont have to play around with your hardware. If you want an old computer have a look around and buy one of Ebay or at a meet and swap event....but you are going to have trouble getting parts to replace anything that breaks.

I don't know people around here are nuts I reckon.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 13-11-2010, 03:11 AM   #9
xtgold

Post infinity

I use infinity machine with dos games,which must be run in true dos.
xtgold is offline                         Send a private message to xtgold
Old 13-11-2010, 03:13 AM   #10
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

What is this infinity machine and what does it do for you......
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86