Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-06-2006, 03:03 PM   #1321
guesst
Abandonia Homie

Sometimes things just don't translate. Jokes can be one of them.

The only thing that I have object to is that perhaps it isn't appropiate for the boards and posting it in another language could just be a way of getting around the rules. I'm not saying that's what's going on, just that it could so you need to be careful.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 14-06-2006, 06:16 PM   #1322
a1s
Hero Gamer

I'm aware of that.
however jokes have been posted many times that weren't in english and while some of the enjoyment of the joke is lost in translation some is retained or at the very least (if the joke is not comperhensible by an english speaker) it gives you insight into national mentality.
a1s is offline                         Send a private message to a1s
Old 14-06-2006, 10:33 PM   #1323
Himmler
Trollmaster General

if you don;t like it you don't need to read it! you're not hired to read my jokes. now go to sleep ~.~
it's not "national mumbo-jumbo" it's untranslatable!
if the admins will find a problem in my post i'm sure they'll take measures.
Himmler is offline                         Send a private message to Himmler
Old 15-06-2006, 12:07 AM   #1324
a1s
Hero Gamer

I don't know if I like it- I haven't been able to read it
and I never said it was mumbo-jumbo I said it gives insight into national menatlity. no insult intended.
BTW, that's definetly romanian right? I can't seem to find abou 1/3 of the words in a dictionary...
Old 15-06-2006, 12:12 AM   #1325
Himmler
Trollmaster General

well that's the thing..i can't translate it cause there are complicated romanian words..almost all of them. and the beggining is from a children song. it's something like : in the forrest with peanuts three dwarfes had a house.a bird comes and sais that hard-to-understand words. epilogue: the bird was instantly shot...now don't tell me that makes you laugh LOL
Himmler is offline                         Send a private message to Himmler
Old 15-06-2006, 11:01 AM   #1326
a1s
Hero Gamer

no. But I've seen and told jokes like that.

and jesus asketh the people (has to be said in a that old style schurch lexicon):
what am I?
and the people did answer:
you are the the representation of our tendency tawards paradox illusions.
and jesus asketh:
wha? :blink:
Old 15-06-2006, 02:59 PM   #1327
rlbell
Game freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(a1s @ Jun 14 2006, 06:16 PM) [snapback]236827[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I'm aware of that.
however jokes have been posted many times that weren't in english and while some of the enjoyment of the joke is lost in translation some is retained or at the very least (if the joke is not comperhensible by an english speaker) it gives you insight into national mentality.
[/b]
I am blessed with a fairly fluent command of both english(native) and french(learned), the two best languages for puns (according to the people that translated Goscinny and Uderzo's Asterix books).

Humor is difficult to translate. Alot of it is tied to language and culture. Being able to read the english and french versions of the same Asterix story, I quickly realize that while the jokes are always in the same place and relate to the same theme in the panel, french puns that do not translate are replaced with different english puns. I watched a two man play at a tiny theatre in Paris (Un Sacre Monstre?, Un Vrai monstre?, it was 1989 and I cannot remember the title) about a writer and a journalist for a literary magazine. There was a discussion about whether it was appropriate to say that someone had the brains of a plank of wood (un but, bou ?), instead of the brains of a flea (pou). I was the only one who did not bust a gut laughing. Not that I did not get the joke, but that I did not find it that funny. I did laugh at the comedy of repitition joke and the writer's continuing referrals to his brother Benoit (If anyone can refresh my memory, I would be indebted)
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell
Old 15-06-2006, 04:24 PM   #1328
heLL0
Forum hobbit

heLL0 is offline                         Send a private message to heLL0
Old 15-06-2006, 06:46 PM   #1329
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Not sure if this was posted (sorry, but I'm lazy today) but anyway, here's one I copied and pasted:

A precious little girl walks into a pet shop and asks, in the sweetest little lisp, between two missing teeth, "Excuthe me, mithter, do you keep widdle wabbits?"

As the shopkeeper's heart melts, he gets down on his knees so that he's on her level and asks, "Do you want a widdle white wabbit, or a thoft and fuwwy bwack wabbit, or maybe one like that cute widdle bwown wabbit over there?"

She, in turn, blushes, rocks on her heels, puts her hands on her knees, leans forward and says, in a tiny quiet voice, "I don't think my python weally gives a thit."
Old 15-06-2006, 07:01 PM   #1330
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

Nice one.
Grinder is offline                         Send a private message to Grinder